Please take a moment to read this for your pets...

Forum for General Topics not covered by other areas.
kkmar
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: planning to move there later this year

Please take a moment to read this for your pets...

Postby kkmar » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 am

This is not a topic that is political, or newsworthy perhaps, but it is important.

If you have an inside pet, please...please...take a moment and look around your home and make sure it is safe. First and foremost, consider either removing their collar or switching to a breakaway collar indoors. Keep a separate, regular collar for walks, etc. Do your best to "babyproof" you home for these guys...especially the little ones.

I make this plea after my beloved little shihtzu, Sam, died in my home yesterday while I was away from home for just a few hours. Sam was a jumper. Apparently he was jumping at the front door to see out the window when his collar caught on the door handle. My daughter found him when she opened the front door when we got home. It was a horrible and heartbreaking discovery for us both, and I never want it to have to happen to anyone else, ever. It was so unnecessary and preventable.

So please, check your home and make sure it is safe for them. Collars are really unnecessary inside, and can be deadly for them. So many things we never thought about can be.
Thanks for listening.

mmellow
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: Live in Tomahawk Area (Harshaw)

Re: Please take a moment to read this for your pets...

Postby mmellow » Sat May 28, 2011 3:47 pm

What a tragic thing and how horrible to find your beloved pet this way! I'm sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. My dog fell off the back of the couch; and, fortunately, I was home to get him out. But, after that happened, I always worried about him falling there again when nobody was home and being trapped between the wall and the couch.

Accidents can happen that people don't even consider. That's why it's not always best to let pets have "the run of the house" when we're not home. I hope pet owners will heed your warning.

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

Postby Renee class of '80 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with everything you said, and simple things, we just take for granted. I volunteer at a no kill shelter, so when you are ready to replace your lost love, please consider adopting a new little one to love and give him or her a forever home. If you are breed specific, just google that breed rescue, and perhaps you can save a life in your little guy's memory. Deepest sympathies.
Renee

NurseNell
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012

Postby NurseNell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 am

I recently had one of my cats die, she was only 4 years old. I had apparently dropped a tylenol and she ate it. Tylenol is deadly to cats. I felt horrible, she was a much loved kitty. So I am extra careful now when I'm opening a medication.
Nell

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

Return to “General Discussion”