Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: planning to move there later this year
This is not a topic that is political, or newsworthy perhaps, but it is important.

If you have an inside pet, please...please...take a moment and look around your home and make sure it is safe. First and foremost, consider either removing their collar or switching to a breakaway collar indoors. Keep a separate, regular collar for walks, etc. Do your best to "babyproof" you home for these guys...especially the little ones.

I make this plea after my beloved little shihtzu, Sam, died in my home yesterday while I was away from home for just a few hours. Sam was a jumper. Apparently he was jumping at the front door to see out the window when his collar caught on the door handle. My daughter found him when she opened the front door when we got home. It was a horrible and heartbreaking discovery for us both, and I never want it to have to happen to anyone else, ever. It was so unnecessary and preventable.

So please, check your home and make sure it is safe for them. Collars are really unnecessary inside, and can be deadly for them. So many things we never thought about can be.
Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:47 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in Tomahawk Area (Harshaw)
Spambot: No
What a tragic thing and how horrible to find your beloved pet this way! I'm sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. My dog fell off the back of the couch; and, fortunately, I was home to get him out. But, after that happened, I always worried about him falling there again when nobody was home and being trapped between the wall and the couch.

Accidents can happen that people don't even consider. That's why it's not always best to let pets have "the run of the house" when we're not home. I hope pet owners will heed your warning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Spambot: No
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with everything you said, and simple things, we just take for granted. I volunteer at a no kill shelter, so when you are ready to replace your lost love, please consider adopting a new little one to love and give him or her a forever home. If you are breed specific, just google that breed rescue, and perhaps you can save a life in your little guy's memory. Deepest sympathies.
Renee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
I recently had one of my cats die, she was only 4 years old. I had apparently dropped a tylenol and she ate it. Tylenol is deadly to cats. I felt horrible, she was a much loved kitty. So I am extra careful now when I'm opening a medication.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.