Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dtv converter boxes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:31 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: ooooooo
today i was listening to trading mart when a man called into sell a converter box,and was throwing in a converter box coupon as well...the dj,quickly assumed he was selling the coupon,andsaid fcc prohibits such action,which the man said he was throwing in coupon with the box.Funny thing ,we all just nod our heads and pay for these boxes when we shouldnt be paying 1 cent for an action that makes one pay in order to recieve a signal.Furthermore,these boxes performance vary greatly by brand/make,and for most part will force a person to buy either additional equiptment they never needed before,or cable service...Now you can argue capitalism is the threshold of our economy,but with acts so forwardly putting money into pockets of select investers who lobbyed for this...people your destroying simple ethics and morals that reach far beyond a nice picture on your tv set. :?

Post subject: Re: dtv converter boxes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Uh, the picture is crystal clear and it will help free up airwaves for other uses. Oh, and you get as many as three channels where you got one before. After the coupon it costs about $20 for a basic converter and at our cabin we get most channels much stronger with the converter than we do without. As far as switching to cable, I actually know more people using all the new channels as an excuse to migrate OFF cable and therefor saving money...

What exactly are you complaining about?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

come next year you will hear more complaints besides this old mans,especially from those who cant mount antennas outside.Additionally,if you pay attention to high and low weather pressure systems,you will see the effect this has on digital quality.Nobody should have to pay for these boxes at all.And if you were aware of who those lobbyists were,the same people trying to get you to subscribe to cable,and those behind the factories in asia-pacific manufacturing the boxes,when such work could of been placed right here in this country,.then maybe the pictures still fuzzy for some people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm, the place we're using our converter box is much more rural than Tomahawk, has an indoor antenna, and is outside the range of where we're even supposed to be able to get signal without a large outdoor antenna. Still coming in crystal clear, in all weather...

Outside of a few people that won't read the manual, I think you'll find most people are pretty happy with all the extra channels. Saturday if you didn't want to watch the football game you could watch a movie on the other station. The PBS channels offer three shows at once, etc. Change isn't always bad and a razor sharp picture on an old TV is pretty nice too.

Oh, and I've been watching the reviews online, nearly every single one I've seen from people who've bought the converters has been good... Have you tried a converter yet? Did you play with your antenna (assuming you're using rabbit ears since you already complained about that). The stations here are all UHF so you have to spin the antenna in most cases. We also have always been using amplified bunny ears because the picture looked like crap on non-digital stations without it...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:28 am 
Beginner
Beginner

my 90 year old mother lives in a housing complex.Im quite versed on installation process'.Have relatives in the mountains of tennesee,-very remote area,and mother gets about as good reception as they do-not good.Shes had the terk amplified[tv55] antenna,along with an antennacraft amplified...no good ...sure 12 comes in all the time-but the others are in/out..Like i said,people who live in such settings are going to have some problems.And having relatives in asia-pacific who were directly involved in opening shop for 6months to manufacture a certain make-and knowing who has ties to the company...makes a person have a whole different outlook on the situation also..Mom is about fed up-and I cant blame her.Public radio has had several stories on already,with FCC officials holding town meetings,here and there,trying to coax people into thinking that everybody must be hooking it up incorrectly..not true...its very inconsistent..it may work great for her next door neighbor...butseveral people in same apartment area/s are having problems.We will hear more next year..especially from the ones in cities where the birds like to sit on antennas..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Here's a decent link about the conversion. It also explains the basics of why they are doing it!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10108294-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this link will simplify things.........
'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTSS8E7bKXg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Ken, that was great!