Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: wrestling
The joke down here to Kalvin York is that after beating him twice in two great matches Hagar's not interested in a third because Kalvin, "he's just not that into you!" But man what a match it would be! York's at 152 and probably will take that, looks like Hagar will be down a weight from him and should win his 4th title. Let's hope they both do it! York will be a pre med student and wrestle for the UW. What's Hagar doing as we get no news from way up there!

Thanks and good luck!

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
There are some great clips of Nick Hagar on youtube. Just Google 'nick hagar'. You can probably find some other neat stuff on Tomahawk there also.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:01 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: family
Looks like the joke is York himself. While Hagar was winning his fourth, York got beat in the semis and failed again to win gold. Enjoy your ride @ UW. The 4 timer will continue to dominate out west next fall.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
clambake, what an unsportsmen like attitude, hope the originally poster doesn't think that is a reflection of the entire Tomahawk community. Kudos to both wrestlers for what seems to be a great work ethic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Deb. :?

Hopefully both students are able to apply the discipline and motivation to all facets of their lives. I have little doubt that both will be successful in their future endeavors.

Congrats to both.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Deb Richardson wrote:
clambake, what an unsportsmen like attitude, hope the originally poster doesn't think that is a reflection of the entire Tomahawk community. Kudos to both wrestlers for what seems to be a great work ethic.
I don't know who you r Deb, but by the sound of your post, you sound like the typical cafe liberal type. Kid runs his mouth for 3 years about how " he's got something for Hagar" then promptly backs it up by getting owned 2 years in a row and can't find his way to the finals in year #3. York talked a big game and couldn't back it up. He deserves to be called on it.

Let me guess. In your world, every kid gets a ribbon and there are no losers, right? Not a very good learning tool for the real world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:42 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Couldn't be further from the truth clambake! I think you need to re-read the original post. The tone inwhich it was written did not warrant your response. The poster was saying he thought a 3rd match would be pretty great! It was intended to be good natured, not mean spirited or unsportsmen like.

clambake, it's your attitude and unsportsmen like comments that has given the Tomahawk wrestling program a bad name within the state. Yup, that's right! I have had opportunity over the past five years, since moving to the Chippewa Valley, to tell people that I lived in Tomahawk for many years. On more than one occasion I was asked if I had any connection with the wrestling program, of which I didn't. On more than one occasion I was politely told just what was thought about the coaches and fans of the program. Which I was surprised to hear. I always thought that the wrestling program was held in high regard. I do have to say that those that felt negatively about the coaches and fans put the athletes in high regard for their work ethic and abilities. This past summer we happened to camp with a family of one of this year's state qualifiers,(very nice family, very nice young man) the father picked his words very carefully, NOT wanting to be critical of the program, but again unsportsmen like coaches and fans were his biggest complaint. Again, very complimentary to the athletes.

I'll admit I haven't followed the wrestling program much since leaving Tomahawk, but was aware of Nick Hagar's accomplishments and thought what a wonderful positive thing for Tomahawk and Nick.

If this young man, York, was running his mouth you need to remember he's a kid. Kids run their mouths. I'm assuming you are an adult clambake, why would you feel you have the right to "call" him on it.

You know clambake in the big picture of life, high school athletic accomplishments are only a small facet of what defines the whole person.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Since when is it a bad thing for an athlete to do a bit of bragging and trash talking before the big game or the big match. So he lost, big deal, at least he tried and did his best. Give him the credit he deserves ! ! !

Right On Deb ! ! !

Can clambake do any better, I doubt it ! ! !
Sounds like the closest he gets to being an athlete is sitting on the couch watching it on tv.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:01 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Deb Richardson wrote:
NOT wanting to be critical of the program, but again unsportsmen like coaches

You're obviously not gathering the gist of my post to continue this conversation based on the body of your post. Or, to be fair to you, maybe I'm poorly conveying it. However, the above part needs to be commented on. I realize it was not you who said this, but perhaps you could convey to these people, (BTW, who's son benifitted from those same unsportsmanlike coaches) that in talking with coaches Skubal,Garou and Arnott over the past 10 years, they are not in it for the praise and certainly not for the $2500 a year. Calling them anything other then a blessing is just plain moronic. I wonder if the son of this family thinks his coaches are such bad men. Those coaches provide more of a moral compase then most men who mentor young people today. I'm also confident that the THS wrestling program doesn't need you to defend it OR its coaches and fans. Stick with camping, it probably suits you better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:39 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

clambake you are obviously new to this forum. Belittle me all you like, I'm really not fazed. That's really not the way we discuss things here, however. I can see by your response my post hit a cord. I totally got your "gist" alright, however I still feel your comments were unsportsmen like. I guess the attitude in your response is just what outsiders see from some of the coaches and fans of the program. That's too bad because it is a strong, successful program.

Thanks I agree, I am very well suited for camping! Not necessarily better for, but suited to. You take care now clambake and come back soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Uh Oh, does anyone else see the resemblant attitude that prevailed a few weeks back. I think it was something about a "smoking band" !! Uh Oh !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

clambake wrote:
He deserves to be called on it.

No, not from anyone other than the people whose feet touch the mat he doesn't. Typically, the biggest problems with high school athletics derives from the players' parents. If he was acting like an ***, then I'm sure he has been called on it by plenty of people.

Besides, If York is going to UW pre-med, he's pretty smart. Just hope he doesn't recognize the nickname "clambake" before he performs any medical procedure for you! :lol:

I am disappointed to hear about the reputation of Tomahawk wrestling. Hopefully it's an old issue that hasn't worn off yet.