Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lead Abatement
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Cottage on Lake Alice since 1962
Spambot: No
I don't know how many of you out there know this but on April 22nd of this year there is a new EPA law that will take effect. All homes built before 1978 must follow new Federal guide lines for any building or remodeling.
Any work done on any home must follow the new law. This includes all interior work and exterior work. All work must be done by a Certified lead safe Renovator or Lead safe Company.
Homeowner's in Wisconsin cannot opt-out. The best part is that every home built before 1978 is considered to have lead because Wisconsin has not Approved a test kit to prove they don't. Wisconsins standards are 10 times stricter then the Federal standards.
I am a small builder in Sussex WI. and I want to let you know that this law will increase labor costs by Apporx. 15 to 50% depending on whats involved. There are so many guide lines to follow that this is going to make it very costly to all homeowner's. If the guide lines are not followed the fine is up to $32,000.00.
I have taken the course and have my Certification. I want to say I understand trying to make things better for our children but you are going to be shocked next time you have work done on your pre 1978 home / cottage. This law also includes homeowner's doing their own work you can't if you are not certifided. I cannot belive that the Goverment has not been letting the public in on this. I've seen no mention of this any where they are leaving it up to the builders to tell the homeowner's. Thanks Tom Balestrieri

Post subject: Re: Lead Abatement
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tom, what about a deck on the outside of the house? It's not inside and has no lead issues. Can a home owner build his own deck?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 am 
General User
General User

Not if your home was built before 1978. You have to remember you are going to have to cut the existing exterior wall to attach a house ledger board and add a Vinyl flashing. What you would need to to for this is cover the area with in 20 ft of the cutting with 6ml plastic. Post your yard with signs saying lead work being done and also rope the area off so no one can enter this area. This means you whole yard.
After the cutting is done you must roll the plastic up and dispose of in a safe manner. Plastic must be bagged and bag must be duct taped.
You then must vacuume your yard where there is dust and or paint chips. Also remember You can not do any cutting when the wind gusts reach 20mph. If the deck came with the house and is also pre 1978 that you are removing or replacing the same holds true. After April you will not even be able to remove a door from its hinges unless it is covered in Plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 am 
General User
General User

Not if your home was built before 1978. You have to remember you are going to have to cut the existing exterior wall to attach a house ledger board and add a Vinyl flashing. What you would need to to for this is cover the area with in 20 ft of the cutting with 6ml plastic. Post your yard with signs saying lead work being done and also rope the area off so no one can enter this area. This means you whole yard.
After the cutting is done you must roll the plastic up and dispose of in a safe manner. Plastic must be bagged and bag must be duct taped.
You then must vacuume your yard where there is dust and or paint chips. Also remember You can not do any cutting when the wind gusts reach 20mph. If the deck came with the house and is also pre 1978 that you are removing or replacing the same holds true. After April you will not even be able to remove a door from its hinges unless it is covered in Plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am 
General User
General User

Cat You can work on your own home. They don't care if a family member kills his own kids. Opt out is for contractors. But you cannot opt out in Wisconsin Just the 49 other States