Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Follow me on this Message Board and on Facebook:

My column from the April 20, 2010, Tomahawk Leader:

By Typo
Tomahawk Leader Office Cat

I received this informational email, which also seeks donations beforehand. Do what you can: donate, volunteer and/or buy, buy, buy.

Just in time for your spring cleaning, the fourth annual Lincoln County Humane Society (LCHS) Rummage Sale is May 1 at the Merrill Armory, next to the shelter on Memorial Drive. Hours of the sale are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

LCHS is seeking donated items for the sale, and asks that they be dropped off at the Armory on Friday, April 30 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Donation receipts will be available. Please refrain from donating clothing and appliances, including TVs. The LCHS just doesn’t have the resources to deal with these items. Thank you for understanding.

If you have any questions, or would like to volunteer to help with the sale, please call Jennifer Moore at 715-873-4665. Tomahawk area residents who would like assistance getting their donation down to Merrill may call Tina Larson at 715-771-9125. Additionally, the LCHS thanks My Feed Store at 844 N. 4th St., Tomahawk, for volunteering as an LCHS rummage sale donation drop off location for Tomahawk residents.
We are also including a brat fry and bake sale on May 1, and welcome donations of delicious baked treats of any kind. These may also be dropped off on April 30. To find out more about the bake sale, call Susan Taylor at 715-432-5214.

I was kind of lonely the night of April 10 when I realized I didn’t have a date for Prom. Admittedly, it was a last-ditch attempt when I posted something on my Facebook page. Got a response that “Punkers” was dateless, too. But, when I did some checking, Punkers kind of scared me. She looked like she would be doing all the leading when we danced and I didn’t think she’d own a prom dress.

So, I went solo and caught the grand march without anyone noticing. Slipped out right afterwards, but not without pausing by the live parrots (the Tomahawk High School Prom had a jungle theme). They were a tempting sight for a feline; good thing they were caged.

Ahhh, it’s all a memory now. The only proof I have for my scrapbook a photo of me with my bow tie.

(Editor’s note: Typo was an abandoned kitten that found a home at the Tomahawk Leader office. His columns are highly requested. He also is a Facebook personality.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Typo, good to hear you made it to the prom. But I have a problem. My pet "carrier" pigeon was walking down the sidewalk to the post office with a letter of mine to mail. That is real close to your digs. Now she missing, she didn't come home. Do you know anything about that? You Feline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Mum's the word. I didn't see anything, and even if I did, I'm not talking.

(See more from Typo in his column each week in the Tomahawk Leader and check out his Facebook discussions. 100-plus friends; please join them.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

My column from the April 27 Tomahawk Leader:

By Typo
Tomahawk Leader Office Cat

All this talk going around about the census has ignored a very large question in my mind. A fundamental question was left off of that census. There are only 10 questions as they keep telling everyone in their infomercials, but there should have been at least 11 maybe 12. That most important question of how many cats are in your household wasn’t even asked! After all I’m the most important being living here at 315 W. Wisconsin Ave. in Tomahawk. Just ask anybody! My brotherhood and sisterhood of felines want to be counted. We know we must outnumber that other species known to inhabit the lives and homes of many humans. That could have been question number 12 – how many canines do you have in your home? Then we would have the true number. Our quiet, purring manner has to be preferable to all that wagging and drooling.

But seriously, I interviewed a real census taker lady last week. She says many people don’t seem to understand the importance of answering the 10 true questions. The census helps direct federal funds to our town and area by the number of people living here. If you don’t let the census takers in or call them back when they leave their note if you weren’t home when they stopped, you hurt all of us. We all want good things for our community. The government needs an accurate count to distribute those dollars accurately. We don’t want to be cheated out of what is rightfully ours. You do count. So please count yourself in for 2010.

By the way, you don’t have to worry about really intrusive questions either. They aren’t nosy enough to ask how much money you make or what your sexual preferences are. You can really answer the questions in 10 minutes, and be done. Let’s be good neighbors, and all stand up and be counted. I’m calling in right after I finish typing.

And, in case you feel left out, the census in Tomahawk is being done door-to-door with lots of ground to cover and rules about not moving on to the next neighborhood until the last is completed. Be patient if you haven’t been contacted and lend a helping hand if a note has been left at your door. Be counted!
Speaking of being good neighbors, if you know Dawn and Vic from Cover to Cover Books and Gifts (who are great pet lovers) or the renters who lost everything or the family who lost a loved one in last week’s fires, lend a hand, say a prayer, give a donation, do whatever you can to show you care. Tomahawk always stands together in times of need, so I know we’ll continue that tradition. It’s another way we all count.
The Central Wisconsin Cat Club will hold its 21st annual Purebred and Household Pet Spring Cat Show May 1 and 2 at Newman Middle School, 225 S. 28th Ave., Wausau. Show hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Last year, the show attracted 150 cats and kittens, with 22 different breeds. This is a great place to get cat-related toys, clothing, furniture and knickknacks from vendors from all over the Midwest. Another special feature is a cat toy contest at noon Sunday. Toys must be homemade. For information, call 219-762-4159.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:43 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Tomahawk Leader wrote:
That most important question of how many cats are in your household wasn’t even asked!

I agree. I have 5 cats: Wexford, Kilkenny, Donegal, Galway, and Clare. Can you guess their nationality?

I am disappointed in the census, it's going to be a very boring one for genealogists when it is released in 70 years. We depend on the census to help us with genealogy research and this one provides very little useful information.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.