Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Girl's hockey
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:38 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

With a potential $750,000 school budget shortfall, should there be considerations for adding girls hockey? :roll:

Post subject: Re: Girl's hockey
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Depending on how many sports teams there are for guys and girls consideration is out the window. The girls can just sue if there are more guys teams and more money going to them...

It happened to UWEC while I was there (for girls hockey I believe).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Personally I think there are more than enough sport teams already. I always thought school was about academics. If they want to add one then one should have to be eliminated !!

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:00 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Anytime a school district is experiencing shortfalls in the budget I don't believe any type of programs should be added, athletic or academic. Keep things on an even keel for the time being and consider adding new programs in a year or two. Unless of course the state mandates a new program the school district doesn't have a choice. As far as athletics is concerned a fee for participation isn't unreasonable. What exactly does Tomahawk do about that these days? As has been hashed over on this board in the past and disagreed upon by many, I strongly believe that athletics is an important part of the educational system. I won't blah, blah, blah as to my opinion on that topic. Hockey is a great sport and there are many young ladies that are great skaters and players, however now is not the time for the ahtletic dept. or the school board to even consider such a move. Even though I'm not a taxpayer in the school distric any longer that's my 2 cents worth. Which is probably only worth that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Sports are a learning experience. School is about learning, and not just from books. There is much more to learn from being involved in sports then the just sport itself. I do honestly believe my son is a better person for the future job market because of the many lessons learned from being involved in sports.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:34 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

If girls in the Tomahawk area wish to play hockey there is no reason why they can't join the boys team. In the past there have been some excellent female players. Also, if the school district can't afford a new athletic program there is no reason that a privately run club couldn't be started. An organization like the Tomahawk soccer program comes to mind. If it were privately funded then it would not be a WIAA team and other young women in the area could also join. I would be excited to have such an organization available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:47 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

baby, accidental injuries take place in all sports. Girls have had torn ACL in both basketball and volleyball. Actually more injuries probably take place in those two sports than hockey. Most sport partents are well aware of the chance of injury, regardless of the sport, and the thought of suing doesn't even cross the mind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:54 am 
Cut school sports big time and focus on music and art. Kids in those areas find it very hard to excel with their talents due to the uncaring attitude the district takes to their fields.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Pretty harsh and bitter on your part Haley. In reality 2% of the school budget is spent on athletics. Dave correct me here if I'm wrong, it maybe somewhat higher. I'm sure Dave can tell us too what portion of the budget is spent on art and music. If kids at Tomahawk aren't excelling in music and art I don't feel that it's due to an uncaring district attitude toward those fields. How aren't they excelling? It seems each year there are a number of students that attend state music competitions, especially in the vocal department. Band is an other story. That in part to a negative attitude or rather a laxity in attitude by certain teacher(s), which has been allowed to continue by the administration. There have been a number of band students that have gone beyond the high school level to play and sing in college orchestras and choirs. Haley back up what you have to say.

<small>[ March 04, 2005, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:59 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Haley, wouldn't we be a pretty one dimensional society if we cut the sports and concentrated on the music and arts. The intellectual types wouldn't have "dumb jocks" to pick on any longer. Back to your thread on the abstinence speaker, you felt it necessary not to present a single minded option to the students at THS, are you not being single minded in what should be available to the students at THS in terms of excelling. Should the students of THS not have options and choices. By cutting sports "big time" you would be limiting choices and options to a large segment of the students. Your post seems such a contratiction of your beliefs of options and choice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:26 pm 
It was definitely an oversimplification on my part, Deb. The lack of a good art program limits choices to those who want to excel in that area. Yeah, let's add more sports! Then the same kids who play every other sport can tack on another qualification to their resume! Meanwhile, there are no supplies in the art departments, no intensive lessons, and a reputation that says that art will get you nowhere. "Don't take art," they say. "Colleges don't care about art. They recruit team members, not hippies!" I was once told that by a THS staff member. But then again, this is the school that once told me that joining the army would be more fulfilling than going to college.

Those who want to excel in art end up apathetic in it by graduation; after all, if no one else cares about art, why should they? The coaches/teachers act as if sports takes precedence over their classes--this is why I and the rest of my class nearly failed Algebra. We used to be able to get out of classes for team pep rallies; only toward the end of my high school career did they decide to include the arts, but it seemed merely an afterthought: "Oh by the way... here'sthedramacrew. Okay, you can go back to class." The music department indeed gets some recognition, and the drama department does a fantastic job year after year. Forensics is almost nearly ignored by everyone but those who take part in it; student art nights are poorly attended. I recall that students created a force that finally let to arts students being able to letter in their activity! (That was a long time coming.) Sports extracurriculars outnumber those that are not! With the range of activities kids could participate in, why aren't there more choices? That's right--sports is always more important!&trade;

But why add more teams and more sports when the art department is in dire need of attention?

Baby: It was required because you were in school to learn, not to run laps. There is a reason that the elective requirement is higher than the phys. ed. requirement. ;)

<small>[ March 04, 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Haley ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:01 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

The district does have policy that if a course is not offered you can go somewhere else and take it and the school will pay for it. No supplies in the art room? Not enough one on one attention? Go to Nicolet and take an art class that is not available. There are resources if you just ask for them. Sports are the same way. If you want to be on the cross-country ski team, go join Rhinelander's team, for example. Ask and you shall receive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:41 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Does the school district also provide transportation to, let's say, Rhinelander, for these classes and/or sports that are not available in Tomahawk?
Another question; why did we build such a nice new school AND add on to it besides if enrollment is dropping and text books and teaching supplies are needed? I don't understand that at all. It wasn't that long ago that they built on to that school. I'm not sure what it's like now, my youngest graduated in 2003, has it changed? When she was there they had to actually share textbooks in some classes and therefore were not even allowed to take them home for homework purposes. To me it's a little hard to understand. Why have the BEST facility but not enough textbooks?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Haley, at this time I agree that adding another sport to the district would not be the thing to do. I am very sympathetic to the negativity you have encountered regarding art. It is very disheartening to be passionate about something and then have those around you, especially those that are there to educate you, be so negative. You talk about more "intensive lessons", to me that would mean more one-on-one. That is something that the school district should not be responsible for providing. Students that wish that in music are doing just that on their own, by paying for private lessons. Tutoring for those struggling in a particular suject, which is different from intensive lessons, is something that should be available and I think most teachers are willing to provide extra help as needed, at least that's what my expierence was in Tomahawk. The Tomahawk school district is not the size or type of school district that should specialize, such as a preforming arts type school. To me that's what you are saying should happen. Intensive lessons in art are something that can be done at summer camps at the expense of the student's family.

I also sympathize with the need for more supplies in the art department. But Haley, many departments lack sufficent books or whatever is needed. The school district that we moved from 15 plus years ago charged a consumable products fee, which meant a fee was charged for things such as the Weekly Reader to art supplies. Students also paid an athletic participation fee and an additional fee for art taken as an elective in high school. The fees for those in a hardship situation paid accordingly much the same as reduced hot lunch. That could be something the Tomahawk schools could consider. Unfortunately, increasing the supplies available doesn't create a caring attitude. A positive attitude toward all of the educational aspects of a school begin from the top down or in the hiring of people that are willing to go the extra mile to create a positive atmosphere. I have not had contact personally with those in the art department so I can't comment on what, if any, changes would help that situation. You know that art is an elective class. With something elective and not mandated by the state or required for college entrance, school districts don't feel compelled to advance what most times, especially in a smaller district, is something used by a small majority of the students. I think you can understand that.

I do also understand that the blanket pep rallies held for all activities have given the arts less attention and you are right that's not right. Here again is a situation were things need to have a different attitude at the top. Also, regarding pep rallies and an entire class nearly failing algebra, Haley, come on you are exaggerating on that one! Really pep rallies only occur once or twice per month. Enough said.

<small>[ March 05, 2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:11 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

When I graduated there was a bus that went to Nicolet for students learning there for the majority of the day. Students also have the choice to provide their own transportation. Students taking night and weekend classses are required to provide their own transportation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I was wondering, how does this issue relate to the issue of girls' wrestling? How do people feel about girls wrestling on the boys' team as opposed to having their own team? In the fight over funding for sports versus arts we shouldn't forget the fight for equality for female athletes, and isn't it a good thing for girls to have these opportunities for healthy physical pursuits?