Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: School Lunch
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I am wondering what other parents opionon are regarding the denial of hot lunch for students that are sent to the quiet room for lunch. I don't believe the school district should use food as a reward or punishment.
The principal states that the children will be given the cold lunch option of equal value but I have paid for my child to have the choice and the school feels the can force them to have cold lunch as a punishment. When I talked with Mr. Saari and asked him if he felt it was acceptable for the school to use food as punishment his answer was "yes". How do you feel?

Post subject: Re: School Lunch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

What is the quiet room? Is it like detention?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:55 am 
Beginner
Beginner

The quiet room is a classroom set aside during lunch hour for children who are in noon hour detention. The are there for lunch and recess afterward. I believe if they have disobeyed they need consequences but I do not believe food should be part of that punishment. I don't understand why they can't go through the lunch line to get the food and return to the room to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:40 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is a good idea. If they deserve detention and cold lunch is a part of said detention then so be it. If hot lunch is so important then talk to your child about behavior and explain that if they do not do the action that got them detention then they can have hot lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:22 pm 
It should be rescinded at a parent's request.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:02 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Perhaps if the parent worried more about the childs behavior and less about what they have for lunch there wouldn't be a problem. When they expect the teachers to raise their kids they have to live with the rules and the way they are enforced. Maybe the child will think twice next time. :roll:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The really key issue here is not what junior has for lunch. The real issue is the obvious lack of parental support for educator's efforts to improve performance and behavior. When I was a lad, the most effective punishment that a teacher could offer were the simple words, "I am going to call your parents". Unfortunately, this has almost no effect today at all because too many parents refuse, for one reason or another, to support the efforts of the school system. Mr. Saari is not going to invoke the no hot lunch punishment for no reason at all, and if you believe that he might we have another problem entirely. I would hasten to point out that hot lunch is served in prisons all over the nation. Perhaps a cold lunch in the 4th grade might just prevent a hot lunch in one of these institutions at a much later date.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:22 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I am sorry I have forgotten to mention this but my children have not been in trouble.
I agree that children need disipline and that there are consequences to their actions. Thus the quiet room and denial of recess is acceptable. I have no problem with children writing repeating phrases, maybe that would help cement the lesson in their brain. I just don't feel the school should use food as a punishment, no matter what the food item is. The USDA also does not support food as reward or punishment in schools.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:22 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
They haven't been in trouble, but they are being disiplined. What is wrong with that statement. :roll: :roll: What is your definition of being in trouble ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:47 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I don't see the issue as using food as a punishment. The child is still being allowed to have lunch. There seems to be too much coddling of children when it comes to disipline. Don't say the word "No" because junior won't feel good about himself. Kids, at a far too young age, are allowed to make choices that are beyond their maturity level. What happened to the days when it was little Susie's birthday only little Susie received a birthday gift. Now all siblings receive a gift so they don't feel left out. Dave, I felt your statement about prison food may have been a bit to the extreme,however maybe not too far from the truth. I see acting out by young adults because society doesn't always do what will make them feel good about themselves. I also see the mental health field needing more workers in the future, because little Jimmy didn't get a gift too when sister Susie celebrated a birthday.

No generation had perfect parenting skills, however I feel that the skill of firm disipline and parents making decisions for their children until the time is right is a thing of the past. Only for now I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

In State Licensed Day Care Centers it is a policy violation to use food as a reward and/or punishment. Apparently the same doesnt hold true for the public school system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:19 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I do not see the cold lunch as food punishment, the punishment is being away from your friends. They are fed, maybe not what they want but they gave up that right when they chose to do what they did to get them detention. Quit coddling kids!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:17 am 
Beginner
Beginner

My statement that my children have not been in trouble means just that. You are reading more into the situation. I am not sure why. My children have NOT been punished and have NOT been sent to quiet room. I am ONLY asking others opinions. I have no problem with parents using food as reward and/or punishment at home. But I do not feel the school should be setting that example. Please express your opinion but no need to be upset and bash people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:12 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you baby I completely agree. Your statement that the punishment should fit the crime is right on target. I think better child behavior starts at home. If my child gets into trouble at school, I want to know about it because there will be consequences at home (ie telephone, tv, and friends coming overing privleges being revoked).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:58 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I think most of us have used food in some form as a reward. "Be a good boy while shopping and we will stop at McDonald's for lunch." I guess this may be more about the expierence than the food. In my kids day it was the toy in the Happy Meal, now it's the play yard. Is the reward really about the food. I don't think so. BTW, I'll drive an extra 100 miles before I eat at McDonald's these days. If an elementary aged child is acting out to the point that detention is warranted, there definately is a problem. Spending a little time alone with a sack lunch may get junior to thinking. Granted there are many cases where parenting leaves much to be desired, however I think there are just as many stinkers out there that have a mind of their own.I think that this is a great tool, be thankful that you have a principal that cares enough to help reverse negative behavior. We all know that negative behavior in the classroom by just one child effects the educational process of the entire class.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Since when does the school have to offer a choice for lunch? You eat hot lunch or bring your own. That's the choice. I really don't think the punishment is having to eat cold lunch. The punishment is that they cannot stand in line with friends and converse and have a good time. Rather, they leave the classroom and walk down to the quiet room to eat. The lunch is already waiting for them. If the hot lunch was waiting for them, it too, would be a cold lunch. It's nice to hear all of the positive responses that certain actions should have consequences. Parent involvement is key too. Remember, it takes a village to raise a child, not just one person. We are in this together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:00 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Deb Richardson said it very well. It is time that we all got out of our adversarial roles and started to support the common effort to achieve good behavior in school. This really is a "no-brainer" in my opinion.