Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:28 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

If we are going to go to all the trouble to amend the Constitution, it may as well be done to rectify (or prevent) more than one problem. With this in mind the following is proposed.

A Draft Proposal--

Notwithstanding any other provision of the Constitution of the United States:

1. Marriage is exclusively defined as, and reserved for, the union of one man and one woman as husband and wife.

2. All public institutions are permitted to display the Ten Commandments and to sponsor organized prayers at the beginning and end of the work day.

3. United States Currency will carry the motto, “In God We Trust,” and the Pledge of Allegiance will include the phrase, “under God.”

4. Desecration of the Flag of the United States is an offense that may be punished as the Congress and the President see fit.

(Perhaps there should be some additions to this list. Let’s get all of these matters taken care of now while we have the chance.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

This should at least get some interesting comments from everyone on the board. I suppose that one could also add something to the effect that the Federal government ought to spend its time dealing with things Federal and stay out of the business of State governments. It is my opinion that most of the real controversy in domestic government comes as a result of one body of government trying to impose its will on another. The founding fathers were fairly clear on this issue in stating that any powers not expressly given to the Federal government belonged to the states. It seems that all levels of government want to assume more power at the expense of the lower levels. Not really very democratic, and it also makes me wonder what they are afraid of. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:19 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
I would be surprised if Susan D. Wright visits here anytime soon. She posts her diatribes all across the nations on forums on some sort of quasi right-wing religious mission.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Good grief, is this gal nutz or what? These is not one of those issues in her post that are worth the effort to even draft the amendment let alone try to get it voted on.

People have the habit of getting all bent out shape for the ****edest reasons.
1. The constitution defining what a marriage is? No even worth a comment.
2. Religious express is and should remain a private thing as far as I’m concerned.
3. What it says on the money makes no difference to me what so ever as long as I get my fair share of it and it keeps spending.
4. What is desecrating the flag anyway? How about some of the uses for the flag we see all the time: handkerchiefs, underwear, swimsuits, hats and on and on. The flag represents ideas, freedom, patriotism and a hundred other intangibles I feel in my heart and soul. They are not stored on a piece of silk-screened cloth. And theses radicals can burn all the flags they want and those values will still be intact. They only keep doing it because so many people over react to it. If some nut case wants to burn a flag I could care less, as long as it’s his flag and he doesn’t hurt anyone. It keeps flag makers working.

As for the Feds staying out of the business of the states, well, we have had a rather “heated” debate on that issue already. It was called the Civil War.