Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What can we do?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Guns are such a controversial topic, here in the Northwoods and elsewhere. Constitutional rights, public safety, gun registration, gun control, assault rifles, mental illness, today's society. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions? What can we do as families, communities, a nation?

Post subject: Re: What can we do?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:32 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not a gun guy but outlawing guns is akin to outlawing autos because we have drunk drivers. We opened the doors to most of the mental institutions in this country in the early 70s and since then none of these nut cases can land in a any kind of a lock-up for more than a few days. This latest criminal clown could have done as much damage at that school with a baseball bat. Gun restricting laws wouldn't have made a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

"Also look for a thread "What Can We Do?" on the Message Board and tell us what you're thinking about gun violence."

Apparently, the message board has been quiet enough that the paper wants everyone to discuss gun control. Or mental health, no, that's not "controversial" enough. Maybe the presence or absence of "God" in the class room. That would be better. Whatever it is, I hope people do a lot of angry messaging back and forth and call each other mean names. That would be a good way to memoralize this tragedy during the holiday season. Glad to see this attack was horrific enough for even the local media to jump in the fray of internet flamewars.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
This is going to be a hot topic for a long time. Personally I hope they are able to look at all the reasons things like this happen. To some, the first thing that they want to do is blame the gun. Like anything else a gun is only a tool and can't do any damage by it's self. Like the old joke about car accidents, "it is the loose nut behind the wheel".

I get a kick out of people that don't believe that these violent video games that the kids are playing don't have any effect on these things. When a kid plays a game that requires them to kill as many of the opposition as possible to win the game. In the mind of a person who is a half bubble off center to start with, they can get the idea that it is the way to win the game of life. In the game the enemy always comes back to life after the game and they begin to believe that is reality. Perhaps the average person isn't effected by this but there is always the one percent that gets ideas and then carries them out. This is their way of getting even for some perceived wrong be it at school or home.

Another thought, I have hunted and shot guns all my life but personally, I never have seen any good use for these types of rifles other than something to take out and play with. I think they are ugly and besides after 20 years in the army I never was that impressed with the M-16 to start with. Even the military only uses 20 round magazines, so what possible use does anyone have for one that carries 40 or 50 rounds. I completely believe in the 2nd amendment but at times I feel things have gotten a bit ridiculous. Personally if I feel I need something to defend my home, I will load up my 12 Gage Pump. If looking down that half inch hole in the barrel doesn't scare the bejeebers out of them, nothing will.

The biggest problem I have with our Gov. trying to come up with more laws, is that most of what they are talking about is already on the books, and all they are going to do is punish the law abiding citizen for what a few nut cases have done. If I went in to purchase a hand gun, they do a background check and I would have to wait 3 days before I could get it from the store. For a rifle they do a background check and you can take it the same day. The reasoning is that you might buy a handgun because you plan on doing someone in and don't have a weapon. if you have a criminal record or a mental health issue you don't get the gun. Do they seriously think that some gang member in LA, Chicago or NY is going to go into a gun store and buy a gun and submit to a background check. You have got to be kidding me. They have access to all the guns they want on the black market or if nothing else they will steal one. There is more truth than fiction in the old saying that "when guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns". I am sure that they would be very appreciative of gun bans as that would make their jobs much safer when they know that none of the good guys will be armed.

Another problem is the all day, every day reporting of this and making the bad guy sound like some special kind of nut. All it does is give some other nut the idea of trying to top him and kill more people or do it in a more flamboyant way. Just report the news, don't try to sensationalize it just for the ratings. I really don't need to hear the 3rd cousins opinion on what their best buddy's sister would have done had her boyfriend been there. come-on folks let try a little common sense ! ! All these people want is their 30 seconds of fame by getting on TV. Report the news, don't try to create it.

My final thought is that kids need to be taught to respect firearms and learn that they are not toys. when I was growing up my dad kept his deer rifle in the closet and the ammunition was on the shelf above it. I knew better than to mess with it. I also had a .22 rifle that I received for Christmas when I was in grade school. I was taught the right way to handle it and would have never thought of pointing it at anyone for any reason. This is something that many are lacking in today's world. They either think it is the great equalizer to intimidate others or have no knowledge of how to handle a gun because their parents don't take the time to teach them or don't want anything to do with a gun. Respect for the gun and for other people is sadly lacking in our society.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: born and graduated THS
Spambot: No
Fact: Every child that has taken the Hunter's Safety course in Wisconsin has avoided all mass shootings. In other words, all kids that have taken the Hunter's Safety course has never been involved in these types of shootings. This just proves that the law abiding citizens with guns are not the problem. The crazy in Colorado had 6 other movie cinema's playing the Batman movie within 20 minutes of his home. That particular one that he went to, was THE ONLY one that was a gun-free zone. As is all school's. I'd say the proof is right in front of us as to how to avoid these types of tragedies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:07 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
This country is going to He!! in a hurry. I can't believe all the crazy things that have happened in the past couple of weeks. First at the school in CT. then in Pennsylvania, and now shooting the firefighters in NY. Is everybody going crazy at once ? ? ? Is it something in the water ? Perhaps the lack of sunshine and long nights causes people to get bored and come up with crazy ideas. I don't know what the answer is. Any ideas ? ? ? :roll:

Seize the Day !