Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pansy deer hunters
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: hometown
Spambot: No
Hunting is defined as PURSUING animals to kill or capture. Most deer methods now days I would say is done by SITTING on your butt in a blind of some type. this is NOT hunting, this is AMBUSHING. So why is tracking snow so important if your not hunting. Altho it does help visibility. So why not plant a couple claymore mines on each side of a deer runway and trip them with your cellphone. You could then not expend any energy & sleep off your hangover. Yup, the good old days when hunters were hunters is gone. I"ll sit back & wait for comments.
Jim Likwarz
Hunter from the 40,s & 50,s :lol:

Post subject: Re: Pansy deer hunters
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:20 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I have to agree with Jim on this one.

I started hunting in the late 50's and remember when we spent the day driving one piece of woods after another. We actually went looking for deer rather than letting them come to us. Now all you see is guys sitting in a tree stand over a pile of corn. Not a whole lot of challenge in that. That isn't hunting, that is just shooting.

I started hunting with my dad and uncle and some of their friends. As they got older and quit or passed on to the happy hunting ground, I started hunting with a group out in the Brantwood area. When they went to sitting in a tree over a corn pile back in the early 90's, I decided it was time to hang it up. Sort of took the fun out of the whole hunting experience. Frankly I would rather spend the day still hunting and seeing if I could track one down or sneak up on one. At least there was a challenge in that.

I can understand those who are disabled or can't do a lot of walking due to age sitting in a stand. I know a couple of guys that are in their 70's and early 80's that just like to be out with the group that they always hunted with. They just enjoy being out during the season and really don't care if they shoot a deer or not. It is just something that they always enjoyed and are not ready to give it up.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Cottage on Lake Alice since 1962
Bravo how true

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:16 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
You can compare it to "ice fishing for deer" Ice fishing you cut a hole in the ice and wait for the fish to come to you, and here you place the corn or apples out and wait. Same thing, no challenge. Then if they injure one, some are too lazy to even track them and let them suffer a slow death. I agree, this is not the sportsmanship of hunting.