What ever happened to Fulsher School?

Forum for General Topics not covered by other areas.
Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

What ever happened to Fulsher School?

Postby Renee class of '80 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I went down memory lane in the Historical Society, and was so disappointed I didn't see any mention or pictures of Fulsher School. I went to the little brick school house grades 2-4; Mrs. Allard, Miss Tuttle and Mr. Kolasa...(years 1968-71) We had the cafeteria with homemade food in the basement, and the best end of year "pot luck" I can ever remember, and was so much fun. I had some wonderful memories there. Is it still standing, what ever happened to it? Been many, many years since I have been back. :D
Thanks,
Renee

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Re: What ever happened to Fulsher School?

Postby Old Scout » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:21 pm

There is a rather large picture of the Fulsher school on the north wall of the class room area and a copy of an old year book in the book rack. I am not sure if there are any other documents.

You don't want to see what the old school looks like now. It has turned into a disaster area. I also attended the Fulsher school back in the 50's (53-59) and it makes me just about sick to see it now. After the school district sold the building it has turned into a junk yard. The guy that has it is a junk collector and uses the building to store all his junk. The rooms are full of junk and so is the yard. There has been nothing done to maintain the building and the roof has collapsed. I wouldn't be surprised if the floors have also by now. When you drive by you can look through the windows and see the sun shining in through the roof. It was a nice building that someone could have made into something decent, but now the best thing that could happen would be for it to be torn down before it collapses in a big heap.

Be thankful that you have fond memories of the school and can remember what it was like back then. It is better than seeing what it is like now.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:13 am

Old Scout wrote:It has turned into a disaster area.

EXACTLY!!!!

It`s blight for the area around it. :shock:
The entire area should be cleared and cleaned up. :)
Isn`t the owner of that property in violation of property codes! :wink:
Tourists visiting the area must shake their heads in disgust when they drive by. :roll: :oops:

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby Renee class of '80 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 am

OMG! How sad that is! I remember the inside to this day, and how charming it was with the hardwood floors, staircase upstairs, and to the right the basement area and kitchen, BIG classrooms and all the windows, and big portrait of President Washington hanging on the left wall upon entering, and the smell of the mimeograph machine all the classes used in the center.
How tragic it is. When I come home to visit, I must look up in the books you suggested and take a drive. It will break my heart to see it in that condition. Thanks.

Ron Johnson
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: Ancestors were pioneers of Tomahawk. Garrett McCarthy arrived about 1887.

Postby Ron Johnson » Fri May 13, 2016 6:58 am

It is a shame that the Fulsher school has fallen into ruin. When she was 19 years old, my grandmother, Selma Johnson, taught at the original one-room schoolhouse that was on the site. Her students in 1910 were Mercedes and Leon Arseneau; Amelia, Lenore and Fredrick Cull; Joseph, Leonard and Edward Coey; Leo and Eugene Durand; Ward and Clyde Fulsher; Clifford, Birdie and Wava Gennett; Mabel and Corinne Hathaway; Marie and Irene Kummer; Frank and Lowell Liberty; Lizziebell and Herbert Mitchell; Mabel Noyes; Myrtle and Eva Schgdloski; Lester and Russell Thompson; Alice and Beatrice Wright.

For the past two years, I have been researching Tomahawk's early days. I would welcome any information about the original rural schools around Tomahawk (there were nine) and information about families that arrived in Tomahawk prior to 1892. I have already written the stories of over two hundred pioneer families, but there is always more to learn.

Ron Johnson

johnson.ronald5@gmail.com

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Fri May 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Check out the Tomahawk Area Historical Society face book page. There is information and pictures of the old schools.

https://www.facebook.com/TomahawkAreaHistoricalSociety
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Tue May 17, 2016 3:48 pm

I haven`t seen the old school house for a few years.
Has there been any change?
Is it still an eyesore and blight on the community?

What shame to see such a beautiful piece of real estate go to waste! :(

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Tue May 17, 2016 10:34 pm

The Fulsher School is in such bad shape that the best thing that could be done would be to tear it down and put it out of it's misery. The roof is pretty much gone and during the day when you drive by you can see sun light shining through into the rooms. From what I hear the rooms are full of junk and I have no doubt the floor will go before long. The yard looks like a junk yard and there is more there than ever as he keeps adding to it regularly. After spending six years there in grades 3 - 8 I have a lot of good memories of the place and it just about makes me sick every time I go by the place.

When they closed it there was so much potential to make something of the building but instead it turned into a dump.

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby Renee class of '80 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:21 pm

When I went there, it was grades, 1-4. It was so lovely. Mrs. Allard still teaching, and was 2nd grade at that time. She must had been 80 then! Christmas time we would paint the angels and snowmen on all the windows. It had so much history, sad the historical society didn't see it's potential and try and maintain it, or keep it open. We lost Washington School to a fire, and this just left in ruins. Maybe when it goes, someone will salvage the bricks and do something nice with them. I guess that's about all we can hope for.

Return to “General Discussion”