Concealed carry

Forum for General Topics not covered by other areas.
Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Concealed carry

Postby Old Scout » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:01 pm

I am having a bit of a hard time with the idea of allowing concealed carry without any training or other qualifications. I totally believe in being allowed to carry but there are people who have never owned or had any training on the proper use of a hand gun. On the spur of the moment they decide to purchase a hand gun and then begin to carry it for self defense. I feel like they are more dangerous to them selves and those around them. A few hours of training could do them a world of good. I can go with not having to go through the hassle with the gov. but somehow training has to be included.

How does everyone else feel about this ???
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Concealed carry

Postby KEN » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:00 am

"allowing concealed carry without any training or other qualifications."

That`s been the rule in Milwaukee for years! :(

Everyone has a gun! :shock:

All it get`s us is a shooting every night. :roll:

kmartell
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64

Postby kmartell » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Stupid to have carte blanche ability to carry a weapon. I agree with Old Scout. There must be some training involved, some licencing, some accountability, etc. Cripes, compare it to driving a car. Stupid, stupid, stupid the way this proposed law is written. Where is common sense ?!?!

Those state politicians who wrote and back this proposal belong in Washington where such idiocy is common place !!!
Ken Martell
kenmartell@gmail.com
Thankful to be alive and healthy. Proud to call Tomahawk my hometown.

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family

Postby Kerry Tobin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Unfortunately one of the "State" politicians that wrote this is from Irma and represents Tomahawk...

The truly ironic thing is the schools around Janesville are closed today because some nut job robbed a gun store yesterday, apparently sent a letter to Trump and is rumored to be planning to target government authorities or a school.

To be honest, I don't believe Hunters Safety should qualify as the training necessary to conceal carry either. I think I should need something a little more recent than a few classes I took 25 years ago to show that I can safely handle having a concealed weapon in crowded places (and that I know all the various applicable laws). The state of Minnesota appears to agree since they won't recognize a Wisconsin concealed permit because our rules are already too loose.

I also am very concerned about allowing guns on school grounds. There already have been safety incidents involving parents at sporting events in schools around Madison. Do we really want to see what happens when some parent goes off the rocker because of a bad call, etc.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:11 pm

The more I think about it the more concerned I am about not having training or a background check etc. Yes they do one when you buy the handgun, but if you buy it from an individual, or have had it for many years and there was no check run, no one knows whether you are legally allowed or not.

I feel that a background check and required training before the permit is issued is only common sense. From what I have heard the training that is used now is a bit of a joke in most cases. 6 hours should be min. and include range time to show you really know what you are doing. Even being a veteran is sufficient enough to get a permit without taking extra training, and how many years has it been since taking that training.

A bit like that hunters safety course from 25 years ago.

What else makes me concerned is the Fed. gov. wanting to make it acceptable to carry in any state regardless of the rules. Might be convenient for someone who travels a lot and feels the need for protection, but what about the other nuts that carry just because they can.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family

Postby Kerry Tobin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Old Scout,

For those that travel and want to be able to carry in most states it's generally not that hard. In reality, for those people it would actually help if Wisconsin made it's rules more strict as then more states would honor our permits.

Full disclosure, I have a permit. I've never carried in a public place though and my reason for getting it was actually primarily because Montana will recognize a Wisconsin permit. I carry in Montana because they have bears, wolves and mountain lions (honestly, I'm more afraid of the mountain lions than the other two). I vary between carrying pepper spray and a handgun depending on where I am, the activity, etc. I wanted the permit simply so I didn't have to be concerned that heavy clothing wasn't concealing the gun. I looked into what states recognized our permits and Minnesota requires a certified class be taken. I believe if you pass the requirements and take the class to get a Minnesota or Florida permit then most states will recognize those two permits.

As a gun owner I believe the right to own a firearm is a huge responsibility and I would be much more supportive of our current conceal carry laws if they required legitimate training, and not just training to get the thing in the first place. When I renewed my permit after five years I should have had to recertify that I'm still qualified to carry, still understand the relevant laws and can still demonstrate competency.

I know it wasn't popular on here (http://www.tomahawkleader.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1867), but I still think all gun sales should require a background check, they all should require a trigger or cable lock with the purchase, and should all have a waiting period of some type. There is no logical reason it should be more complicated to vote than it is to purchase and conceal carry a gun.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:07 pm

" "There is no logical reason it should be more complicated to vote than it is to purchase and conceal carry a gun."

Sure there is!

The NRA PAYS politicians to come up with bills like this! :shock:

If they pour big bucks into your campaign, or into your party, you have to deliver something! :wink:

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:02 pm

I sent a message to our local state rep. to let her know how I feel about this. Don't know if it will do any good but at least she will know that everyone is not in favor of it.

Hope there are many others that pass this information on and hope for at least some modifications to the bill.

Here is the e-mail address if anyone would like to send a message.

Rep.Felzkowski@legis.wi.gov

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Just to show how crazy this whole thing is. When concealed carry first became available I applied for my license. The only requirement I had to meet was to send them a copy of my retired military ID and my DD214. No classes, just a background check and my card came in the mail in about a month. I have the permit for many of the same reasons that Kerry does. I like to wonder in the woods and was concerned about my handgun being covered. I have met bears, coyotes and bobcats and feel better knowing I have the weapon with me. Last year I went on line and renewed my permit for another 5 years. No hassle, just send the CC no. so they could collect the payment.

I spent a lot of time on the range shooting with a .45 (along with other weapons) so it was not like I had never had any training but there are those who are lucky they know which end the bullet comes out of.

Return to “General Discussion”