Parental Snooping Illegal???

Forum for General Topics not covered by other areas.
aphephilia
Contributor
Contributor

Parental Snooping Illegal???

Postby aphephilia » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:31 am

What does everyone think about the court case in Washington state where the court overturned a prosecution against an ex-boyfriend because the mother listened in on the telephone conversation between him and her daughter? Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap! It's a parent's duty to protect thier child(ren). The mother is the one who broke the law?? Come On Now!! I wonder what Dr Phil would have to say about that one.

Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Parental Snooping Illegal???

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:21 am

Once again we have a case that is largely nothing but media hype. The real issue here is that the mother was eavesdropping on a conversation between her daughter and the boyfriend during which the boyfriend admitted he had done something illegal. The mother reported it to police. Unfortunately, her evidence is hear-say to begin with and was acquired in a manner that would certainly have been illegal if the police had done it that way. The press has decided to hype this case and get everyone excited by spinning it regarding the mother listening in on her daughter's conversation. Just another crock of crap offered up as professional journalism by the mainstream press in this land.

Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:07 am

You won't get any arguement from me. Cops need to act on whatever information they can get, but the issue here was that the press played this for something that it was not. The press accounts indicated that parents had no right to listen in on the telephone conversations of their minor children. The real issue was that the courts cannot accept hear-say evidence under most circumstances and that wiretaps not approved by the court also are never allowed. It id the press, not the parents that did the wrong thing here.

jonellephil
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jonellephil » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:47 pm

I seriously think, as a 15 year old, that the parents, blood or foster, have no right to listen to anyones conversation. Over the telephone or not. YOu have to look at both sides. Say a teen girl is talkting to her boyfriend, they don't realize that her father is listening in on the conversation. The girl finds out and gets mad at her father. Did she have a right to get mad? Yes. If it had been her father on the phone and she listened to the conversation, he would have gotten mad and she probably would have been grounded. No parent, no person, law enforcement or not has no right to listen to any other persons conversations unless they want the same thing.

Deb Richardson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.

Postby Deb Richardson » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:03 pm

jonellephil, hmm if you are 15 and talking on a phone in a house owned and paid for by your parents, blood or foster, I do think that they have every right to listen in on conversations, especially if something in that coversation could be leading to something that could harm someone only 15. That's the way it is at your age, life is not about democracy, it's about dictatorship. Have a nice day.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

aphephilia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby aphephilia » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:53 pm

Touche' Deb!!

Deb Richardson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.

Postby Deb Richardson » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:28 pm

Thank you aphephilia and Merry Christmas!
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

nugget
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nugget » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:35 am

It is my home and I will listen to or look anywhere I want. If they/you do not like it get out of my house.
Spay or nueter your pets!!!!!!!

Fushia
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby Fushia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:55 pm

I stand strong on this issue. I can't comment on the case in WA because I haven't read it, but as
far as kids go under your own roof. YES! As parent's we have responsibilities and I agree with Deb and Aph about parent's listening if
they feel a need to. You bet! Sometimes parent's
can "feel" something might be going on...and if
they feel they need to...just do it...no turning
back on this one...Standing strong! You can listen without being on the phone line..just hearing them talk. If they always have to talk in private...gee that is a clue..isn't it? You might not understand this post or others similar unless you have been a parent.

Return to “General Discussion”