Wheel Tax

Forum for General Topics not covered by other areas.
Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Wheel Tax

Postby Old Scout » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:09 pm

If the county should pass a wheel tax, would that also be applied to ATV's ? They don't pay license fees that cars and trucks pay and after all, they use the roads too and should share in the cost. This would add substantially to the amount that would come in to help pay for road maintenance.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wheel Tax

Postby KEN » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:30 am

Old Scout wrote:would that also be applied to ATV's ?

Don`t see that ever happening.

If they did, what would be next, bicycles?

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:17 pm

A bit of a difference. They are not motor vehicles. Perhaps I could call my Jeep an ATV and then I wouldn't have to buy a license. Makes as much sense.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family

Postby Kerry Tobin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:05 am

Technically the ATVs are registered already. They're paying a registration fee just like you are for your car. If you want to see more of that money diverted to roads that's an option.

The ATVs are also paying the fuel tax, which goes directly to paying for roads. Based on your reasoning shouldn't our ATV be exempt from the fuel tax since we don't drive it anywhere but on our property?

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:48 pm

The registration fees go for trail development and not highways. Hey, does that mean I can drive my Jeep on their trails? :)

I am glad I am not the only one who uses my ATV for what it was intended.

No License, no insurance, no turn signals, no seat belts, no passenger protection, yes they are real safe to have on the road. :roll:
Never felt the need to use it in place of my Jeep.

neup99
Contributor
Contributor

Postby neup99 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Old Scout wrote:The registration fees go for trail development and not highways. Hey, does that mean I can drive my Jeep on their trails? :)

I am glad I am not the only one who uses my ATV for what it was intended.

No License, no insurance, no turn signals, no seat belts, no passenger protection, yes they are real safe to have on the road. :roll:
Never felt the need to use it in place of my Jeep.

I am not a fan of the ATVs and I still think this is a ridiculous argument. At least post something that is true like ATVs passing cars on the right, speeding through neighborhoods or failing to use any hand signals. These are some of the legitimate complaints that have been brought up.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Everything in my post is true, but you can add whatever else you would like.

Your absolutely correct about the way they drive as if the laws don't apply to them. Another reason they shouldn't be on the roads. As I have said before, they were designed for off road travel and that is where they should be. There are enough of them killing themselves out on the trails with their reckless driving and I am expecting that to happen on the road one of these days.
As to passing on the right, I have had them pass me on N. 4th st. using the bike lane and are lucky no one decided to make a right turn into a driveway about that time.

Return to “General Discussion”