Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:56 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but the Bush administration is proposing legislature that would give the Department of Homeland Security the power to postpone or cancel elections in the event of a terrorist attack. read all about it here

What do you think about that?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:38 am 
Contributor
Contributor

There certainly is a lot of hogwash in this one, but most of it is in the original posting in this thread. As a career military officer, I recall that everytime one of the thousands of off-the-wall contingency plans that we put together was released to the media it came out with headlines similar to this. This is simply another politicaly motivated media event revolving around some planning that has to be done but will never be used. I could tell you about other plans we had and have that would scare the stuffings out of everyone, but that does not mean that any of them would ever be used. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:51 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

My reason for posting that story wasnt to say "look what they're doing" but more "what if this happened". i just like to find out what other's opinions are and how they are alike or differ from my own. I find thats the best way to learn. Sorry if anyone misunderstood the message.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
If you want to truly learn the opinions/positions of other board members, then state YOUR position & wait for a response.

You did a "fushia" when you post a rumor, present it as fact that you want to poll, never state your position, then back-pedal when folks call you out.

"It does matter."

<small>[ July 17, 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:48 pm 
General User
General User

This is the situation as I understand it...
Last Sunday, Newsweek published an article stating that the Bush administration, specifically Tom Ridge (Sect. of DHS), requested a detailed report from the Office of Legal Counsel as to the necessary steps that would have to be taken to postpone elections in the event of a terrorist attack. Presumably, this is my speculation, that there is fear of a major swing in voting position based upon events in Spain after the Madrid bombing. According to the Election Assistance Commission, there is not a provision in place for delaying/cancelling a national election. Ridge, in a press conference shortly thereafter, stated that Al-Qaeda was organizing an attack aimed at wreaking havoc during elections, though he had no specific intelligence on the matter.
In my opinion, whether or not there is another terrorist attack on our country, elections should proceed as scheduled. To deny the American public the opportunity to voice their political sentiments sets a dangerous precedent that in the future could have dire consequences. If spreading democracy abroad is a goal of the US government, quelling the voting rights of its citizens does not speak democracy, it screams de facto dictatorship.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:30 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Jeff i ended the post with "what do you think about that" which in my book means what is your opinion. if you have a problem with the semantics of my posts, i suggest teaching Message Board 101 so that we lesser educated users can fit your standard.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:14 pm 
General User
General User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dopey Dwarf:
Will there ever be a strong third party that can take it all? Will people be more vocal about the potential of a third party.
Unfortunatley, many third party candidates are not given the media coverage or garner the enormous corporate backing that the two major parties do.
I have the feeling that voters are faced with deciding between which is the worse of two evils. A vote for a third party candidate "steals" votes from a Dem/Rep candidate and thus swings the election, as evident in the 2000 elections.
The electoral and political system as it is discourages the rise of a viable, alternate candidate.
It seems that the issues that matter most to the working class citizens of the country get lost amongst elitist objectives.
:(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:01 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I think the possibility of postponed elections is extremely dangerous. Yet it is suspicious because we constantly are told that another "terrorist attack" is on the way, and the warning level is constantly raised, and when you pair that scenario with the ability to delay or not hold elections, it becames somewhat apparent, to me anyway, that maybe there is some truth to the conspiracy theories. Its just like the Patriot Act, which got passed by all but Russ Feingold because nobody else bothered to read it, there is so much going on to distract the population that they are able to sneak little tidbits through without most people noticing.