Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WJJQ Trading Mart
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:49 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Have you ever tried to get on Trading Mart? It is very difficult and frustrating because the line is always busy with so many people trying to get on. It is only a half hour program on weekday mornings. I believe its purpose is to be a 'service' to the radio stations listening audience. With so many people trying to get on, and it only being 30 minutes long, you would think that that 30 minute segment would take to the task at hand. Dialing every 10 seconds in an effort to get on, and continually getting a busy signal, it is obvious there are people on 'hold' and new callers cosistantly trying to get on. Sometimes you can try 3 or 4 days in a row and not be able connect. So instead of providing this 30 minute program, the host talks for five minutes about the do's and don'ts of marriage. On the same segment, five minutes of a story about putting soiled and wet underware on the radiators in grade school. Same day-same program, another five minutes of the temperature of the studio and its air conditioner. Meanwhile there is 15 minutes of 30, lost to the trivia while the listening audience is re-dialling and re-dialling. I would think a better place for the trivia would be throughout the rest of the day, between songs and such, because songs are on all day and "Trading Mart" is only a 30 minute program. What gives with this program designed to be a service to the community. Merrill's "Swap Shop' conducts a 30 minute, no-nonsense and professional program to their community. Has anyone else this opinion with Trading Mart?

Post subject: Re: WJJQ Trading Mart
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:48 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Yup, that's why when I have something to sell or am looking for something, I send them an e-mail and save my frustration. If you get it in by 6:00 a.m. they usually get it on the air. It's saved me alot of headaches. Their e-mail address/link is found on the bottom of their web page at {removed, we typically don't allow links to businesses that aren't Town Square members} Hope that helps you!

<small>[ May 10, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Kerry Tobin ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:01 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Gee, back in my days of living in Tomahawk, I used Trading Mart frequently with much success. The banter is part of the uniqueness of WJJQ. Here in the Chippewa Valley I haven't found a station that comes close to the big "Q". Alas, we have had to settle for Bob and Tom in the morning in place of Mark and Greg. The people of the Tomahawk area a very lucky to have a radio station that is so totally community minded.

One thing I am espeicially grateful to the "Q" for was giving my youngest son the confidence to speak publicly, through radio sports interviews. Although, behind a mircrophone it still helped to develop confidence that has been a big plus for him in college. Funny isn't it that he obtained more confidence from radio interviews than he did from the speach class offered at THS.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Or you could consider purchasing a classified (and help support the forum you are using...).

Heck, if it is that much of a problem you could just eBay what ever you have to sell!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:29 am 
General User
General User

Remember when the meteorite fell a few months ago? Man. I laughed really hard listening to everybody call in to trading mart the next day. I don't think they sold anything. Everybody was calling in and speculating where the meteor fell. It was like something out of The Andy Griffith show.

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thank you Tinman, for the tip-man. Deb,do know that banter is not barter? Kerry-they're not selling ads. It's a service to their listening audience. Hows about some free classifieds as a service to your reading audience? and.....last, but not the least,....Tenacious T, Thank You. You get the drift. I rest my case.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:16 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Catfish, of course I know that banter is not barter. As TT said, the whole Mayberry thing is great. It's what makes WJJQ different than most other radio stations and it's all part of what makes Tomahawk a wonderful place to live and raise a family. Geez if it's that much of an issue for you take your business to Merrill.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Now Deb, Did you think that I thought that you thought.......I mean...did you think that I thought that you didn't know the difference between banter and barter? I was having a moment..thinking about the words...tin-man tip-man, banter-barter...even my momma didn't know how to take me, I'm not bent out of shape, I'm just having a moment..geesh....hay 'Opie', lighten up, no nasty. I love you all...but gosh darn it all Barney, see if you can get me on the program. ( you know my momma said she loved me....but she could have been jiving me too)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Catfish,

How about a free web site that allows you to banter as a community service??? ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:18 pm 
http://freecycle.org/

Recommended! There is a group in our area and many in the surrounding area.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow (HRR)