Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Gay Marriage--

Where marriage is a sacred institution, the state should have nothing to do with it. Each church should be able to do as it pleases. On the other hand, to the extent that marriage is a secular domestic contract between two people, there can be no justification for discrimination based upon the genders of the parties. The States of California, Hawaii, Massachusetts and Vermont have recognized this and much of Europe to an even greater extent. New Jersey has just become the fifth state to recognize domestic partnerships and provide gay couples with most of the benefits that the married enjoy.

http://www.nj.com/statehouse/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1073633541155490.xml and http://juandejesus.50megs.com/gayissues.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:44 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Considering that the Catholics were literally sawing people in half for being gay just a few hundred years ago, I don't think you will see the Catholic church condoning gay marriages anytime soon.

Baby - In your church you "do" what?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:10 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Dopey, are you saying that God condones homosexual marriage and sex act as long as they give the glory and honor to Him? If so, we are reading two totally different bibles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:31 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm not a big believer in organized religion,there's way to many issues with it, so i wont even go there.
But I do want to say people have the right to be gay, just like they have the right to be straight. I have a lot of gay friends and actually my husband's aunts are gay,and they lead perfectly normal lifes. Most people probably wouldn't know they were gay if you didn't know them very well. People are worried how it will effect our children being taught by gays or what have you. I don't see it as being a big difference they are people just like everyone else they just have a different view on who they date. And i see no reason why they can't marry they have the right to be happy just like everyone else. So if someone is gay they shouldn't be looked down on and judged they should be treated like everyone else and have the same opportunities.

<small>[ February 15, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: t.l. ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think I need someone to explain this whole "same-sex marriage" issue to me. I just don't get it. From a non-religious aspect, what harm does it cause non-homosexual couples when non-heterosexual couples get married? Please someone, clue me in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

http://www.dearmary.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:04 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

It's hard for me to put my faith aside when I look at things. I truly feel that homosexual couples should not be able to adopt children. The reason being that I feel children benefit by having both male and female influence in their life. I know some feel that you can just have any male figure introduced to kids and use him as a role model, but I don't believe that that is the same as having a dad. Both sexes, as parents, bring something invaluable to children and I don't think that women can play the father role nor men the mother role. Did anyone ever wonder why God created it so you have to have both sexes to create a new life? He must have had a darn good reason for creating it that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:07 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Oh I don't know, with all the domestic abuse that goes on in alot of heterosexual unions, I would rather see a child in a loving homosexual union than an abusive heterosexual one. These days so many children are raised by only one parent anyway. What's the difference if it's one male/female raising the child or two males/females raising the child as long as the home is a loving and nurturing environment?

(and no, I'm not a lesbian...I just don't get what all the "hoopla" is about)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

>God created it so you have to have both sexes to create a new life? He must have had a darn good reason for creating it that way.<

Then what darn good reason did he have to destroy so many families and leave them with one or no parents at all?

And what about the animals that eat their young? He have a good reason for that?

Lot of kids out there with no parents.... I could care less if some gay couple or single wants to raise some of them. Lot of very good Christians don't want to.

<small>[ February 19, 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:12 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Bush for Constitutional Ban on Gay Marriage-Source

President Bush (news - web sites)'s political director has told a group of prominent conservatives that the president would soon publicly endorse a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20040219/pl_nm/bush_gays_dc

Kerry gets mad (judt kidding) if I don't post an opinion, so my opinion is I don't think I care but some of you will come unglued I'm sure!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:24 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I say three cheers for President Bush on that amendment. And JFlosum, God doesn't destroy families. We seem to do a pretty good job of that on our own. And yes, some animals eat their young, but I tend to think God created humans to be a bit more superior in terms of brains (although I even question that at times) and we don't tend to consume our children.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Quote:
Those that did not go to the lions or executed in in the Coliseum in other ways were tied to stakes and lit up as torches for Nero's garden.
Do you suppose they were better than citronella candles for repelling skeeters? Must have been tough to keep lit though...

<small>[ February 24, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]</small>

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:27 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

My dog loves me and, as far as I can tell, is committed to me. Should I be allowed to marry him? If not, why not?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:53 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I haven't heard anyone come out in favor of interspecies marriages... yet. Give em time.

My .02: : I don't care if homosexuals get married. Why would anyone care? Could someone explain it to me? If two people (or eight) want to promise themselves to each other, WHO CARES? If tinman wants to marry his dog thats cool by me (as long as I don't have to watch).

1) There are no tax advantages to being married anymore (at least not in CA).

2) The institution of marriage is already a joke. People routinely get married 2, 3 or more times these days. Unless kids are involved, I don't see the point actually.

3) For those who believe gay marriage is immoral: Get a life for the love of God and stop worrying about what other people do in the privacy of their own homes and stop showing up at my door!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:04 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tinman, that dog signs the marriage license and says, “I do”, have at it!!