Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

La Crosse County Republican Party
P.O. Box 772, La Crosse, WI 54602-0772
For Immediate Release July 28, 2003
La Crosse County GOP Passes Resolution Supporting the Defense
Of the Ten Commandments Monument in Cameron Park
LA CROSSE — The La Crosse County GOP unanimously passed a resolution supporting the defense of the Ten Commandments Monument in Cameron Park
during its regular monthly meeting Monday. The resolution urges the La Crosse Common council to accept free legal advice and to fight the ruling made recently by Judge Barbara Crabb.
“Our members are ready to stand with Brad Benrud and the Citizens for Liberty organization to
fight this decision,” said La Crosse County GOP Chairman Chris Muller. “The attacks on
Christian’s rights to free expression have gone on too long. Our Founding Fathers did not risk
their ‘lives, fortunes, and sacred honor’ so that a few judges could legislate from the bench.”
When asked about the ‘separation of church and state’ argument, Mr. Muller replied, “That
statement and the legal decisions based on it are from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson, not on the rule of law. If Judge Crabb would read the Constitution instead of reading into it she would see the clear meaning of the First Ammendment, ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…’ I believe an argument could be made that her decision is un-Constitutional because it creates a legal precedent prohibiting Christians from freely exercising their beliefs in public. For this reason I encourage everyone to make his or her voice heard on this issue. Call your aldermen, write letters to the media, and
attend the City Council meetings. This community cannot stand by and let its rights be violated
like this.”

Mr. Muller will present the resolution to the La Crosse City Council during its meeting on
Tuesday, August 12 at 5:30 pm. “I encourage everyone to show their support by attending this
meeting. It will be the perfect opportunity to show the city leadership that the majority of the
community wants them to appeal this decision and to convince the Council to accept the free
legal advice offered by groups that are experienced in these cases.”
Attached:
Text of the Resolution
For more information:
Chris Muller, 608-792-1867, chairman@lcrp.net
Chairman
Chris Muller
Vice-Chairman
Vacant
Treasurer
Debi Krueger
Secretary
Tom Lynch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

That is the legal problem. They are religious promotions on public display at public expense (public land, public maintenance). Most were put there without public input at times when these violations were tolerated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
You are treating ACLU legal actions and those of the Freedom From Religions Foundation and other proponents of church/state separation as if they were one and the same. They are not. Opposition to slavery was at one time a "minority" cause. Did this make them wrong?

<small>[ August 05, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Abraham ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:50 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

You are talking to a life member. Well worth it. That catholic grade school drove me to it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go Baby, you should recognize this line of thought:

America should return to teachings of Ten Commandments

Editor: America needs a return to a new moral way of living by following the Ten Commandments. God gave us the 10 Commandments through Moses when the world was steeped in sin as it is today.

Yesterday's headlines over crowded jails. God created man and woman and blessed marriage and told them to increase and multiply. Look what we have today, a mockery of marriage by gay men or women or people living together without the benefit of marriage. The terrible crime of killing innocent children by legal abortion, the spread of many venereal diseases. Headlines in the paper several days ago, a shortage of good babysitters. Mothers ought to care for their own babies. Laws saying you may not spank your own child, later they probably go to jail. Even the Bible says spare the rod and spoil the child. They need discipline as soon as they are old enough to understand and continually in their formative years.

Let us have a real return to God and to his church and do the best we can to live good moral lives and then pray for His blessings on us and on the whole world. We need love, love for God and love for your neighbor as yourself.

ANNA MARTIN

<small>[ August 06, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Abraham ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:21 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Marty, Proverbs 13:24

"He that spareth the rod, hateth his son: but he that loveth him, correcteth him betimes."

I used an OLD translation because I know how much you like OLD things like Bibles and dictionaries. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Published - Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Our view: Franciscan sisters: 125 years of prayer

By Tribune editorial staff

There are many things that make La Crosse a great place to live. Among those are its scenic location, the presence of higher education and health-care institutions, a healthy cultural life and plenty opportunities for sports and recreation.

But one factor should not be forgotten. And that is the presence here of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, an order of nuns that has contributed spiritually and materially to the good life in the Coulee Region.

This year marks the 125th anniversary of the sisters' perpetual prayer. Franciscan sisters pray 24 hours a day, 365 days a year — in shifts.

The community was founded in Germany, took root in this country first in Jefferson, Wis., and relocated to La Crosse in 1876. Perpetual prayer began in 1878, and that is what this anniversary commemorates.

Besides prayer, the list of things that the sisters do is impressive. They have played key roles in the development of Viterbo University and Franciscan Skemp Healthcare, institutions that have brought Catholic and Franciscan perspectives to higher education and health care.

It is because of the sisters that La Crosse has the St. Clare Health Mission clinic that serves the poor, with volunteer medical help.

The sisters also have brought a sense of social justice to the area — speaking out on a variety of issues. Franciscan sisters are active in ministries in the Diocese of La Crosse and throughout the world.

It is this spiritual sense that permeates all of the activities of this remarkable group of women.

Central to this mission of spirituality is the "perpetual adoration" that is a central part of the name of this religious order. The nuns are praying for the community and the world — for all of us. This is a life force whose benefits cannot be measured.

Happy 125th, FSPA.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

http://www.ffrf.org/news/index.php?n=lacrossevictory.html

They have now put up a fence similar to the one in Marshfield to mark out the statue area from public areas.

Full court opinion at:
http://www.ffrf.org/legal/LCDecision.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:06 am 
Contributor
Contributor

All I can say is that some of these plaintiffs have had life WAY too easy, if a rock can cause them to lose sleep at night and become emotionally disturbed. That would be the day,
that I would let a rock prevent me from shopping where I wanted to shop, eating where I wanted to eat, and sleeping when I wanted to sleep.

There used to be a local athiest here in town that would park his truck in front of the big glass doors when Mass was due to let out. (he might still be around, I'm not sure) He had something obnoxious painted on his truck, I dont remember exactly what it said but it was something like, Prayer Doesn't Work, People Do. I think his name was Al somethingorother.
SOME people just need more important things to worry about and more important things to do with their time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:22 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Great memory Aphephilia, I remember seeing his pickup truck about with the side panels with his message. I always wondered what happened to him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:07 am 
Contributor
Contributor

>I always wondered what happened to him.<

Lightening?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I think he got arrested on a felony hate crime or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:24 am 
Contributor
Contributor

In the greater scheme of things, a person arguing about religion is like a wolf howling at the moon. Whatever obscure changes are brought about on the moon have absolutely nothing to do with all the howling.

Now I’ll go one step further and really ruffle some fathers. One of the biggest problems with religion is far too many people, the ignorant and the scholar alike, are hung up on the bible. The problem is the bible and its hundreds of different versions, no longer has any acceptable consensus of meaning. (And it never did.)

Ask 1000 people the meaning of a simple passage in the bible and you are likely to get 900 different opinions of what that passage means. If you do get a consensus on any one passage, some one will find six others that according to “their” interpretation contradicts that consensus.

The Bible means what ever you want it to mean. It is nothing more, to many people, then a tool from which a passage can be taken out of context to support one’s own opinion as to what they want that passage to mean. It supplies the basis for on going never ending argument. Howling at the moon.

I know what the bible and my religion means to me. I don’t need preachers, statues, plaques, and nativity scenes, pray in or out of school or any of the other issues being argued publicly to bolster my faith. I never try to sell my opinion to anyone else. What I will do is say to people is ok, so you don’t like the bible, you don’t like the Ten Commandments and you don’t like the idea of God and Jesus and the whole nine yards, I can live with that. That’s your choice. But think about this. Take the Ten Commandments and toss out all the “religious” hocus pocus, and live by the values that are left. In other words live by the 5 Commandments, 6-10. (The first 5 are religious in nature the last 5 are not.)

Someone starts quoting the bible to me and all I hear is wolves howling at the moon.

---------------------------
I would say that liberals, as a group, lack the ability to reason. Whenever I run across one, he always seems to be trying to insult people that don’t agree with him or behaving in some other offensive, arrogant, holier-then-thou fashion. --JFlosum

<small>[ August 10, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm not a biological father (I don't think, having had that operation in time). Yet I think I may now need therapy because I agree with JFlosom on this:

"One of the biggest problems with religion is far too many people, the ignorant and the scholar alike, are hung up on the bible. The problem is the bible and its hundreds of different versions, no longer has any acceptable consensus of meaning. (And it never did.)"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have an answer and a reason why this is so, but I won't even go there. If I did, I would certainly ruffle lots of fathers, LOL

You did mean to say feathers, didn't you JFlosum?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:28 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:39 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Dopey, for taking on the job of ruffling the "fathers", so I didn't have to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I mendt fedders. I awalys make a few spellening midakes for you gramurr and slepping kops.