Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The End of the World?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:00 pm 
I'd like to point you at an editorial in today's Wausau Daily Herald.

"With all the chaos taking place in the world today I'm convinced that we are entering the last days. In the Gospel of Matthew 24:6-8, Christ describes the signs of the end of the age: "You shall hear of wars and rumors of wars. Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There shall be famines, and pestilence, and earthquakes, in diverse places."
Look what's happening in the world today. There are wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and countless other countries. Terrorists fly planes into buildings and behead hostages. Suicide bombers kill thousands; countries that have weapons of mass destruction threaten other countries; mail is contaminated by anthrax.

And have you noticed the havoc caused by Mother Nature lately? Hurricanes have bombarded Florida; tsunamis ravaged countries in the Indian Ocean; nations have both food and water shortages, locusts are destroying the land in Africa.

And what of the signs that point to a one-world order. Twelve European nations have changed from their own individual currency to the Euro. A new constitution was signed by 25 of the nations in Europe on Oct. 28. With a worldwide global positioning system in place, everyone who has an identification chip in his or her hand or forehead can be tracked. Frightening, isn't it?
And look at our cultural changes? The new age movement claims each person is his own god. AIDS is killing millions of people all over the world. Children continue being aborted. Surely these are all signs of the end time."

What do you think?

I think she's nuts. Of course you can pick and choose events to fit your bible passage proclaiming the end of the world, just as you can pick bible passages to fit your view of things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:30 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Sheeeeesh! I don't have enough fingers & toes to count the number of times the end of the world was nighe. One of these times tho' the predictor may get it right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:55 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: 4 Generations in theTomahawk/Nokomis Area
I tend to agree that we are in the end times. However, I am not going to debate exactly when the rapture will happen or when the anti-cchrist will appear or where he will come from. I don't remember the passage but the Bible says that no man knows when Christ will return so I'll take that on faith. "Live your life like Christ will be here today".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:40 am 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS! You`re all in luck! I happen to know when the end of the world will take place. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:08 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Wasn't there a prediction that the Yellow race(China ?) would rule the world at some point in history? Would this take place before the end? China may be getting close to that status.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:01 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Nostradamus claimed that the Minnesota Vikings would have to win the Super Bowl to set that chain of events in motion. No worries :D

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:47 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Quote:
Originally posted by KEN:
ODDS BODKINS! You`re all in luck! I happen to know when the end of the world will take place. :)
Wouldn't you know it? Just the year I planned to retire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

BRIAN! ODDS BODKINS!
With the Viking win against the Pack, maybe the chain of events have started!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Baby, that's been happening for 2000+ years already.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Who knows when the end of the world will be or who the anti-christ is. For all we know, he could be sitting in the white house right now, looking busy and waiting for the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Maybe George, SR. was in Rome, and there was a birth complication, so he opted to adopt from the kindly priest running the hospital, only to find- years later- that his "son" has a funny little birthmark on his head, it's mother was actually a dog, and now there's a creepy nanny in the house with the apocalypse on her mind. Or maybe i've just watched "The Omen" one too many times.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:28 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, Yea. I have biblical proof that whoever has the longest signature on internet forums will be the first into the lake of fire.

Sirach 20:8 Whoever uses too many words will be loathed,....
and Sirach 23:8 The sinner is overtaken through his (or her) lips,....

The bible is a collection of verse, narrative, dialogue and other literary forms mixed with a little history. There is nothing magical about it and it has no more authority than any other such book.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:27 am 
Beginner
Beginner

"Yea, Yea. I have biblical proof that whoever has the longest signature on internet forums will be the first into the lake of fire."

I'll dunk your head in it and burn off your beard and your stovepipe hat, if that's the case.

"The bible is a collection of verse, narrative, dialogue and other literary forms mixed with a little history. There is nothing magical about it and it has no more authority than any other such book. "

Why is it then that about a third of the world's people don't look to verses in the Norton Anthology for spiritual guidance? If the books have the same authority, you'd think some of them would rather hear a sermon on E.E. Cummings. Provocative, yes?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

The popularity of the bible (in the west)is due to its entanglement in western/world history. Some polls give prisoners in the US as being 90% christian plus. Are you saying they used the bible for spiritual guidance? Considering the state of the world, and it truly is the case that the bible is being used as a guide then they may want to change the guide. Even christians read far more of other literature than the bible.

Most of the proscriptive elements of the bible preceed the bible, e.g. not kiling, not lying, the Four Noble truths, Eight Fold Path, Five precepts, etc. Even the coherence of prehistoric tribes, clans, etc. depended upon not killing each other and other disruptive behavior. The bible is a late comer in the morality game. It was written over thousands of years by hundreds of people and is riddled by thousands of contradictions that cannot be reconciled.

I don't have a beard or stovepipe hat but I do have a pretty good collection of bibles.

<small>[ January 28, 2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Abraham ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:29 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In the year 2025, who'd have thought the Arabs would have bought the USA, just to give it to the Jews.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:49 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
If these are the signs of the end of the world, please LMK! I'll quit paying my bills, buy a mustang convertible, & drive my family to Alaska for a repeat vacation with an even more loose timetable than the last time we went there!
(All the while thanking God for creating such beauty!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:05 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Baby: In response to you asking.
"Abraham--What are your feelings about the Koran? I have read part of it, and find it very interesting, though pretty jumbled and unorganized. Some parts sound like the Bible and other parts don't. The Koran, interestingly enough, has its own version of the end."

Islam, like Judaism and Christianity, traces its anscestry to Abraham, the old testament patriarch (no direct relation to me). Abraham's first son (with Hagar) was Isma'il (Ishmael), Gen 16:11; 17:20; 25:12. Abrahams's wife, Sarah was prone to jealousy as she could not have a son at that time so Agraham moved Hagar and Ishmael to the desert area of Becca (Mecca). At the root of the Koran is the story that Abraham and Ishmael built the holiest sanctuary in Islam, the Ka'bah.

So if parts sound like the bible, that is because of the common roots. In Islam they say the bible sounds like the Koran. The revelations began to come to Muhammad around 610 AD our calendar. Look at the Koran's story about the angel Gabriel coming to Mary, strikingly similar even down to the very words. The main split is that Islam sees christianity as a swing away from the true path that the prophet Jesus gave new impetus to.

It is not really unorganized depending on what version you read. The Koran's early editors followed no special chronological order. Chapters were arranged by length. Some scholars have tryed to arrange it by chronological order and even thematic order. I would also add that the early and subsequent church councils have had a six century head start on the Koran. The christian church councils reorganized and reorganized, retranslated and retranslated, edited and edited the christian bible many times voting on and debating what books stayed in, etc. so after all that it should appear somewhat organized. Even without this the Koran is considered one of the great books of prophetic literature. One can make a good comparison between the two. Koran written by one man in short period. Bible written by hundred over hundreds or thousands of years, etc.

Notice to Aphephilia: Many Arabic words have several spellings when rendered into english, i.e. koran, qur'an, etc.

This concludes tonight's session of the Tomahawk Leaders' religious lecture series.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Abraham:
Baby: In response to you asking.
"Abraham--What are your feelings about the Koran? I have read part of it, and find it very interesting, though pretty jumbled and unorganized. Some parts sound like the Bible and other parts don't. The Koran, interestingly enough, has its own version of the end."

Islam, like Judaism and Christianity, traces its anscestry to Abraham, the old testament patriarch (no direct relation to me). Abraham's first son (with Hagar) was Isma'il (Ishmael), Gen 16:11; 17:20; 25:12. Abrahams's wife, Sarah was prone to jealousy as she could not have a son at that time so Agraham moved Hagar and Ishmael to the desert area of Becca (Mecca). At the root of the Koran is the story that Abraham and Ishmael built the holiest sanctuary in Islam, the Ka'bah.

So if parts sound like the bible, that is because of the common roots. In Islam they say the bible sounds like the Koran. The revelations began to come to Muhammad around 610 AD our calendar. Look at the Koran's story about the angel Gabriel coming to Mary, strikingly similar even down to the very words. The main split is that Islam sees christianity as a swing away from the true path that the prophet Jesus gave new impetus to.

It is not really unorganized depending on what version you read. The Koran's early editors followed no special chronological order. Chapters were arranged by length. Some scholars have tryed to arrange it by chronological order and even thematic order. I would also add that the early and subsequent church councils have had a six century head start on the Koran. The christian church councils reorganized and reorganized, retranslated and retranslated, edited and edited the christian bible many times voting on and debating what books stayed in, etc. so after all that it should appear somewhat organized. Even without this the Koran is considered one of the great books of prophetic literature. One can make a good comparison between the two. Koran written by one man in short period. Bible written by hundred over hundreds or thousands of years, etc.

Notice to Aphephilia: Many Arabic words have several spellings when rendered into english, i.e. koran, qur'an, etc.

This concludes tonight's session of the Tomahawk Leader's religious lecture series.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:32 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the "heads up" on that, Abraham! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:21 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

The other day I heard this version of how christianity got started:

God is tired, worn out. So he speaks to St. Peter,

"I need a vacation. Got any suggestions where I should go?"

Thinking, St. Peter nods his head and replies, "How about
Jupiter? It's nice and warm there this time of the year."

God shakes his head before saying, "No. Too much gravity. You
know how that hurts my back."

"Hmmm," St. Peter reflects. "Well, how about Mercury?"

"No way!" God snaps. "It's way too hot there!"

"I've got it," St. Peter says, his face lighting up. "How about
going down to Earth for your vacation?"

Chuckling, God remarks, "Are you kidding? Two thousand years ago
I went there, had an affair with some Jewish girl, and they're
STILL talking about it!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Leave it to Baby to get serious about a JOKE!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Jesse Ventura "who had that quote about religion is a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers."

After reading baby's post it makes me think he might not be completely wrong. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by baby:
Mary was merely used fulfill prophecy
A true Christian will love Mary as much as Jesus does. Afterall, the word "christian" means "Christ like".
She wasn't "merely used", she was extremely loved and favored by God!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:23 am 
Contributor
Contributor

"...the angel Gabriel said to Mary "the Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee".

Matthew 1:18 " Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit;..."

Now was it not a little rude of the "Holy Spirit" to get Mary pregnant before the wedding?
Of course in those days there was no DNA or genetic testing so we will never know if that pregnancy was a result of a premarital affair or the visitation of a god.