Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
While I admit that the $1000 - $1200 my wife & I will receive will be appreciated as we pay for our son's next tuition bill, what's the cost to us in the future as the federal government goes further into debt?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I feel exactly the same, Jeff. Sure, we can use the cash - our son starts college in the fall. However, how much more debt can this country take?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
One of the things I've noticed is that NONE of the candidates talk about the national debt. I don't even hear any questions on the subject during the 'debates' (...but I might be wrong, I don't follow the debates that closely).

One of these days this will all come back to bite us big time. The debt keeps getting bigger and nobody talks about it or does anything about it. How long can those bozos in Washington bury their heads in the sand on this subject.

They're all scared to talk about it because it will mean that they might have to support less spending...and if they don't spend they will p*** off your constituents...and if that happens they will lose support and votes. So to keep their office they spend to please the voters.

We're just like the old Tennessee Ernie Ford song '16 Tons'....we just get 'another day older and deeper in debt'.

Very scary....especially for the kids who will inherit the honor of paying off this debt...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Between the debt & the faulty energy strategies, I'm sure our kids will believe that our generation was all wrapped up in immediate self-interest, instead of building for our/their futures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Despite everything all the policy issues going on right now I still believe there's one silly issue that all but the youngest generations are going to be remembered for in the history books.

I truly believe that the gay marriage amendment is going to appear in history books 100 years from now in exactly the same manner as the former slavery beliefs do now. Heck, I don't even think it should be called 'marriage' but as more accepting generations move forward into positions of power its going to stick out like a sore thumb as bigotry and religion forcing itself on the beliefs and rights of others...

A prize of my admiration and astonishment to the first person who can explain exactly how a gay couple devoting their lives to each other in any way reduces the value of your love or your vows toward your husband or wife (or any future wife I hopefully find someday).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

My wife's best friend is gay & has been with the same woman for 25 years. That's stability & commitment. My wife Nancy has put up with me for 27 years. That's stability, commitment AND masochism. (Thanks for putting up with me Nancy!) The dedication to each other is the same in my book.

Gay = sin? God will sort it out.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Boettcher on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:29 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

They are hoping with the rebate check people will spend and boost the economy. How about a buck a gallon off at the pumps, and I know for sure I'd have an extra $1200 or more a year to spend. 'Bolt' them Arabs ( I said bolt because I believe that might pass by Kerry) ha ha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Kerry Tobin wrote:
A prize of my admiration and astonishment to the first person who can explain exactly how a gay couple devoting their lives to each other in any way reduces the value of your love or your vows toward your husband or wife (or any future wife I hopefully find someday).

I have been spending a good deal of time trying to figure out how I want to answer this.

I do love prizes.

By insinuating in your post that disagreeing with gay marriage is bigotry you force acceptance of your view. In this generation, being deemed a bigot is quite possibly the worst stigma one can have. How could anyone even try to give an intelligent response, share how their value system for some reason finds fault in gay marriage, without the fear of being described as a bigot? Dirty Pool.

OK, this has nothing to do with gay marriage, but,

I struggle with the concept that there is an expectation in our generation that we must be accepting. Will the same history that looks upon our acceptance and progressiveness as the same generation that refused to (or was unable to) set limits? I don't want my son to grow up in a society in which it is worse to stand up and say "I don't think this is right," than to silently follow the degradation of society under the guise of acceptance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:40 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You ask how much more debt this country can handle after these gift checks? What about 15 BILLION dollars to Tanzania? Where is the rest of the world when it comes to financial aid for Tanzania? Where's Britain, China, Russia, Japan? What are we into Irac for, I believe it must be up to at least 900 BILLION. Boy wouldn't that kind of money take care of health insurance for each American.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Michael,

Good point on my post. I probably should have left more room for discussion but I just can't see an argument (and I figure I'm usually pretty open to at least seeing a dissenting view).

I do believe you need to stand up and say no at times, I guess this is just a subject that I don't understand. On the other hand, I think we should stand up remind the government that the point of the US is freedom and the more we give up after 9/11 the more they already won...