Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk
-------------------------------

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:17 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Dopey Dwarf:
I was wondering if anyone heard of this group and wondering why there has not been a stop to their activities.
I've heard of this group. They have come to Minnesota and been met with restraining orders. There is nothing at all Christ like in what they are doing.

The war was wrong from day one but you ALWAYS support the men and women fighting there. This group is despicible.

I'm sorry I missed you Dopey when you visited my school. I was very sick that week! Did you enjoy the school? It is a great place.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:57 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Hate groups are wrong...ALL hate groups, even "I Hate Smokers" groups and "I Hate Fat People" groups. Unfortunately the world is full of hate and everyone expects everyone else to be just like them and when they aren't the attacks begin. Everyone wants everyone else to conform to what they believe is right or wrong.

The good ole USA, land of the free???? not anymore (if ever)

home of the brave? most definitely

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:48 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by aphephilia:
Hate groups are wrong...ALL hate groups, even "I Hate Smokers" groups and "I Hate Fat People" groups. .......The good ole USA, land of the free???? not anymore (if ever)

home of the brave? most definitely
Aphephilia, to set the record straight, there is a difference between hating smokers/fat people and hating smoking and over eating. I for one hate no one. Hate hurts the hater the most. It can eat you up.

I grew up in fear of the KKK. Yes, they were in New York and yes, they did burn crosses on ther lawns of Catholics. They burned one in front of Archbishop Fulton Sheen at his rectory in Rochester, NY. I was the only Catholic in my class through 12 years of school. I have seen hatred up close and personal.

I have seen the above mentioned group. They are very scary. I watched several documentaries in the past month on the rise of white supremacy groups in the U.S. and they are EVERYWHERE.

Having said that I have however travelled in 3rd world countries and I know we are the land of the free and home of the brave. The glass is half full, not half empty.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I've heard about the group mentioned above. Fortunately there is a group of Vets that also will attend funerals as requested and sing to drown out and hide this group.

It's sad that there are people insane enough to not allow a family their time to grieve.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:56 am 
Contributor
Contributor

------------------------------------

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:11 am 
Yup, these are the illustrious "God hates fags" Westboro Baptist Church. A few years back, they protested a showing of the Laramie Project in Wausau (and were properly outnumbered 10 to 1).

"Wisc., UWMC Theatre, 6:30 p.m. Mar. 15 -- in religious protest & warning: 'God is not mocked!' God Hates Fags! & Fag-Enablers! Ergo, God hates UWMC, The Laramie Project, and all of Wausau's queer-friendly sodomite whorehouses masquerading as churches!"

So, yeah. Either they're bat**** insane or just trying to garner attention.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:36 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Actually this group got quite a bit of press when the war against global terrorism started by going to funerals of soldiers and getting people fumed that they were stiring up trouble at such a somber sacred event.

But most states got smart and inacted legislation that prohibits protesting within X number of feet at a funeral. This is no matter the group, no matter the funeral. Since then this "church" has pretty much ceased going to funerals.

But you can bet anytime their is a death of a soldier they will call up the local police department and inform them that they plan on coming to the funeral and bringing 200 people to protest. This of course leads the local police chief with a flair for being on tv to go to the media and inform them that this church is showing up. This then leads to tv and newspaper reports about the group and what they represent. The people never show up for the funeral, but the local police helped spread their twisted message of hate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:46 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

---------------

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:18 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I know all too well about this group and how they came to UWMC to protest the Laramie Project a few years back. As an alumni of UWMC and at that time, I was President of the Gay-Straight Alliance at UWSP. I headed the group that came from UWSP to rally against the Westboro Baptist Church. I was very pleased with the outcome, but I've come to realize that this church is beyond help. Unfortunately they are too thick-headed to realize all of the things that come out of their mouth is absolutely ridiculous. When I heard they were going to protest the funerals, all I could do was shake my head.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry Tobin:
I've heard about the group mentioned above. Fortunately there is a group of Vets that also will attend funerals as requested and sing to drown out and hide this group.

It's sad that there are people insane enough to not allow a family their time to grieve.
I am glad that Kerry mentioned the group of Vets. The group of Vets mentioned are more than likely the Patriot Guard. The group is made up of Vets and civilians who love this Country. I have seen them mentioned in the news several times throughout WI. After reading through their website, I seen one part where they attended a funeral for a Vet and they were the only ones attending. I guess the Vet had no family left or whatever the circumstance was, either way somebody was there as it should be. They also attend Military homecomings if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:16 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: 4 Generations in theTomahawk/Nokomis Area
First of all I am a Baptist and I want to disassociate myself from this radical organization out of Topeka Ks. They are Baptist in title only. As a Christian I find their actions vile and offensive and I feel sorry for the families who have lost loved ones in the war and then have had to endure the insane actions of this renegade church and its renegade leader. God does not teach hate although the Bible clearly has some absolutes. Thou shalt not etc... I can't help but wonder where this church finds its example of how they conduct themselves. Using vulger names, screaming obscenities, harrassing innocent people are not virtues of the Christian faith. These men and women fighting this war are not the ones who started it. They are just doing their job and should be allowed some dignity in their final resting place. If they wish to protest the war, then take there protests to Washington and do it there. I would say they should be ashamed of themselves but it appears they have no shame anyway.