Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Super Bowl Half Time
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:36 pm 
General User
General User

:D :D :D Yeah! Too funnie, thanks!

I think the halftime show was awful. I was offended even before Janet flashed. That's just my humble opinion, and taste in music.

I think the halftime show should be about FOOTBALL!!! Not Booty!!

What happened to Marching Bands? Drum & Bugle Corps? Cool stuff like that??

Peace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:24 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

You know, if a kid were to grab himself as much as Nelly did onstage, his mom would probably strip him down and check for a rash. Honest to God, that was the biggest waste of a halftime show ever.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:04 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Not to offend anybody or anything but you all need to get out more. Seriously, I grew up in Tomahawk all my life and when I left for college it was this major eye opening. :eek: You are so sheltered in Tomahawk, it's unreal. There's this whole world out there and most of you try and act like it doesn't exist or you're just totally blind to it. I thought the half time show was great but I'm also 23 years old and that's the music i listen to everyday. When if first came to college I was totally clueless to hip hop and simaliar music but now I listen to it all the time. And when they book the entertainment for this stuff the cater to the majortiy and the majority likes this music.

As far as Nelly grabbing him self while he dances or the way the girls were all up on the guys, it's so not that big of deal. Go to any club in the Twin Cities and you'll see dancing 10 times more provocative then that, trust me Nelly's show wasn't that bad.
And for the whole thing with Janet. What is the big deal? Yeah she showed her boob, so what? You have a problem with it then maybe you arent comfortable with you're own body. She was wearing pasti and the camera's weren't close enough to get a really good look anyway. And for all of you complaining that there were kids watching, ok how many "young" kids even understood what happened and for the ones that do understand it you can probably bet that they've seen worse.
And My final point and my probably most important
NO ONE MADE YOU WATCH THE 1/2 TIME SHOW, YOU COULD HAVE CHANGED THE CHANNEL AT ANY TIME. THEY ANNOUNCE BEFORE HAND WHO WAS PREFORMING SO IT WASN'T A SUPRISE. I DON'T REMEMBER ANYONE STATING THAT YOU WEREN'T ALLOWED TO TURN IT OFF. YOU WATCHED IT SO DEAL WITH IT!
Sorry if I was a little rude but seriously you are all so one minded it's terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:24 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

You're 23 with no young kids of your own. All I can say is wait. My kids are older and admit they thought they knew it all and had seen it all. However, being on their own with families has made them realize they didn't know as much as they thought. Everday life is a good teacher. And when you have young children, your natural reaction is to want to protect them from what you consider to be offensive. Post again when your kids are 4 or 5 and by then, the way things are going, we'll be seeing Justin Timberlake get his thong ripped off...but no worries. Hey...what's a little nudity, right?

<small>[ February 15, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: tinman ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:30 am 
Beginner
Beginner

One I'm not having Kids ever. Two if Idid have kids I would be sure i know what they were watching. Then anounced who was going to be there, and last time i checked Nelly and Kid Rock aren't exactly G rated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:34 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
My oh my, we've gone off to college, seen the Twin Cities and now know what the world is all about. Thanks t.l. for letting the folks in Tomahawk know that we don't have a clue. Funny that we know enough to take our next breath. You too will someday be 40 ish and clueless, no matter where you live be it Tomahawk, the Twin Cities or Timbuktoo. Ahhh, the innocence of youth.

<small>[ February 15, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:39 am 
General User
General User

Hold up, guys. tL did apologize for being so rude. And is simply sharing his/her own opinion. No need to set out to crucify because of that!

I could change the channel. I didn't, because I'm a huge football fan, and didn't want to miss the start of the second half. That's my choice, too.

Here's the thing, for me. I'm ALREADY being entertained because it's the Super Bowl! I don't need any more entertainment than that!

Kids dirty dancing in clubs in the cities is also their choice. We don't see it being broadcast, but then again, if we did, WE COULD change the channel. That's a good point.

But as for me, I wasn't about to change it during THE SUPER BOWL!

Peace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I was simply giving my opionin, I didn't set out to tick off Tomahawk. You may not be "clueless" but you are all stuck on your ways, you have this idea of what is right and what isn't and don't want to see it any other way. Every generation does things that their parents don't approve of but to that generation it's not a big deal. Ya know when Elvis first came around the way he dance was considered indecent by many people, but you look at it today and that's totally fine.
so i'm sorry if i came acrossed as a know it all
snot, I was just expressing that there are other opinions and you had other choices

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:15 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Wow, T.I. has gone away to college and now she knows what the world is all about. Hate to burst her bubble, but she has seen so little of it she is still in for a big surprise. I have been places and seen things that she probably can't even imagin and I haven't seen it all.

There is a reason I live in sheltered Tomahawk, I have seen the world and I like it here. I like the life style, culture and the way we do things in our sheltered little town.

I chose not the watch the half-time show. Instead I took the dog outside so he could do what dogs do. I chose not to watch it because I don't like the music or the performers. From all the reports I didn't miss anything !

T.I. enjoy your little world, because when you finish college it will be time for a reality check. :D

<small>[ February 15, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Scout...Here's a concept, I'm done with college been married almost two year and i'm chick!!!!! I'm out in the real world and I'm doing just fine.

<small>[ February 15, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: t.l. ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:04 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Quote:
There is a reason I live in sheltered Tomahawk, I have seen the world and I like it here. I like the life style, culture and the way we do things in our sheltered little town.
Amen to that, Old Scout. And to t.l. please understand that we aren't all backwards Luddites who shun the outside world. I'm glad that you've moved away from Tomahawk and are experiencing things that aren't available here. It's a big world out there with plenty to offer. Heck, we've all been there, done that and got the T-shirt. Like you, we still hadn't sorted out just which things were wants and which were needs and the hidden price we'd be paying to have all of our wants met. And, maybe like us, you'll be back someday having learned through experience that your old hometown offers all you really ever needed but were too young to understand and appreciate. We'll leave the light on for ya...

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
t.I.

I grew up in Tomahawk, went to two different universities, and now live elsewhere. I've also been coast to coast and out of the country. I listen to just about every kind of music (well, I guess I skip most classical and all polka). I'm 24 and I do go to the bars (even in the Twin Cities) and I still think the half-time show was EXTREEMLY INAPPROPRIATE. To be honest it didn't personally bother me much but I wouldn't want my kids to have seen it (assuming I ever have kids) and I don't think anyone elses should have either.

You can make proper choices IF you have knowledge of what to expect. We can choose to go to those kinds of bars and clubs, we can choose to listen to what ever kind of music we want. When watching a live broadcast on public television you don't have much of a choice if there isn't an adult content warning. Great, they knew who the artists were, it still is public TV and LEGALLY has to be kept clean.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:34 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

t.l., Congratulations!
You made one of the most faulty,defective,erroneous post this board has seen in a long time!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
T.I. If it makes you feel better I edited my first post. From your post I couldn't tell what your gender was, other than immature and naive.

[" but you are all stuck on your ways, you have this idea of what is right and what isn't and don't want to see it any other way. "]

Your probably right, I learned a long time ago the difference between right and wrong, and just because they put some freak show on TV doesn't make it right.

["I'm out in the real world and I'm doing just fine."]

If that is your idea of the real world you have my sympathy !!!! :roll:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:27 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
We have no right to protest the half time show at this year's super bowl. By our silence we have condoned "Married With Children", "Seinfeld", The Simpsons, "Friends", etc. TV is telling our kids that casual sex is ok as long as there is a punch line.

What's morally different from the actual exposure of a breast and the glorifying of unmarried sex in the TV programs readily available to our kids at any hour of the day?? By our indifference to the content of network programming, we gave the network the rubber stamp to provide us with such entertainment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
So Jeff basically what you are saying is that because no one protested something earlier we can't protest that it has been pushed even further???

Based on that line of thinking the Nazis were completely right in what they were doing (no one protested it before), slavery should still be practiced, the US should go back to England, women shouldn't vote, if a girl lets a guy kiss her it isn't rape, etc...

Just because people are willing to accept a certain level of something at a specific time doesn't make it right, doesn't mean they will allow it to go further and doesn't mean they can't decide they object at a later time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Kerry,
Where I thought I was going with my post was that
with all the crap we already have on TV, we shouldn't have been so suprised that this happened. Somewhere I got lost on the way to the soapbox.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:17 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

t.I. - EVEN Janet knew that what she was doing was innapropriate. As out of touch with reality as she is, EVEN SHE KNEW that such a stunt was out of place at the super bowl. THATS WHY SHE DID IT. To suggest that parents are responsible and/or accountable if their children saw it is nonsense. The superbowl is billed as a G-rated affair.

The most offensive thing to me personally was that Kid Rock was wearing an American Flag as a poncho. He then unceremoniously threw it into the crowd. Where I come from thats a NO-NO. The American Flag is to be held in very high regard. It should be protected and kept clean and never allowed to even touch the ground. Too many Americans have died in defense of that flag. To treat it with disrespect is treasonous.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

right on cmoo!

Want to see a flag buring I can live with?

http://www.geocities.com/jflosum/flagburnpage.html

<small>[ February 17, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:26 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Can you say that again JFlosum so I can understand it this time? ????? (Want to see a flag buring in can live with)????? Was there a flag 'buring in a can'? Was it live? I'm lost....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
baby, scroll back and reread t.l.'s past post, she is married and has been for two years. Somehow or another I think she's strong in her convictions and will not have any children. Not everyone wants to be a parent. Not everyone should be a parent. I'm not saying t.l. shouldn't be a parent. I'm sure she can be very nurturing without being a parent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:59 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Is anyone besides me confused now?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS! I`m with ya cmoo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next