Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Super Bowl Half Time
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:46 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well gee baby I don't know, both of my daughters were conceived while I was on "the pill". So after the second one I got my tubes tied, I figured the pill must not be very effective. :eek:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

hmmmmm, maybe that should have been "affective", I always get those two mixed up. JFlosum? can you help me out here? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:48 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I wonder how baby stacks those soap boxes so high?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

It is my understanding that George Bush is going to be doing the half time show next year. Here is a preview of his routine.

http://geocities.com/jflosum/dancingbush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Boettcher:
We have no right to protest the half time show at this year's super bowl. By our silence we have condoned "Married With Children", "Seinfeld", The Simpsons, "Friends", etc. TV is telling our kids that casual sex is ok as long as there is a punch line.

What's morally different from the actual exposure of a breast and the glorifying of unmarried sex in the TV programs readily available to our kids at any hour of the day?? By our indifference to the content of network programming, we gave the network the rubber stamp to provide us with such entertainment.
From Kerry Tobin: "So Jeff basically what you are saying is that because no one protested something earlier we can't protest that it has been pushed even further???

Based on that line of thinking the Nazis were completely right in what they were doing (no one protested it before), slavery should still be practiced, the US should go back to England, women shouldn't vote, if a girl lets a guy kiss her it isn't rape, etc...

Just because people are willing to accept a certain level of something at a specific time doesn't make it right, doesn't mean they will allow it to go further and doesn't mean they can't decide they object at a later time."

Kerry,
My original response to your calling me out was merely apologetic & the easy way out.

But my original post WAS faulty. It should read: If we haven't cried "foul" to sexually explicit programming to the owners of our TV & radio stations, the we have no right to protest the programming of the super bowl half time show. The media is giving us "what we want". No protest = acceptance.

Jeff

<small>[ February 20, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:16 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Not long ago a friend of mine lost a court battle to stop people form driving through his property to gain access to national forest. For over a hundred years, first by horseback and then by auto, the public had been using the private access road.

My friend had inherited the property that had been in his family for generations. Problems started accelerating from just litter to discharging of firearms. After a number of his cattle were shot, he blocked the road.

A local four-wheel-drive club and a hunting club filed a site and had the road reopened. The courts ruled that by failing to protest the use of the road for over 100 years, the public had the right to use the road.

However he ultimately prevailed because the court also ruled that he had no obligation to provide the access but could not block access for the sole purpose of keeping people out. Being a farming ranching operation, he merely plowed a large portion of the road under and planted a crop.

So, Jeff and Kerry are both right on this one.

We have given tacit permission for such antics we seen at the super bowl by not complaining loud enough as entertainers have continued to get more outrageous in their behavior to attract attention to them selves. But there are always alternatives and it’s time the public starts demanding better.

Even Spike Lee, not exactly a banner carrier for the right wing moral majority, said Janet Jackson's surprise breast-baring during the Super Bowl halftime show was a "new low" of attention-getting antics by entertainers.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0204a/04spikelee.html

<small>[ February 21, 2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Some one from this forum sent this to me and it is really cool! I didn’t ask permission to use their name so I won’t but thank you! Anyone that is into religion should find it interesting and even if you are not, it’s still cool!!

http://www.geocities.com/jflosum/stare.html

<small>[ February 21, 2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
I have refrained from commenting on this issue, but I guess you all caught me in a weak moment, so here goes.

What a bunch of hypocritical crap! No one saw this coming? C'mon. We as a public have been supporting this type of activty for years. MTV pushed the envelope with the Britney and Madonna Kiss, crotch grabbing dance routines by scantily clad barely leagal teenagers, monkey loving child molesters are role models, and yet we say nothing? Well guess what, MTV wants to get your attention - TA DAH - They succeeded! There is not a person on this board that does not know "Janet Jackson", "MTV" and the alleged "wardrobe malfunction." And yet we say foul out of one side of our mouths as we salivate and desperately search the internet for the bootleg copy of the incident in order to see the "real thing" with out the video obscured. We stand high and mighty poo-pooing the "insantiy of it all" but run clamoring to the TV whenever the disclaimer of "Parental Discretion Advised" is foist upon us, drooling over the feast of flesh, violence, or whatever plate of titilation placed in front of us - and we eat it up with a spoon! We as a public are as dispicable as those we are pointing fingers at.

Well I am done now. Let the torrent begin..

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:48 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Right you are. Great post Medic!

Janet Jackson's boob flash tops web searches
http://www.silicon.com/networks/webwatch/0,39024667,39118198,00.htm

I have to be honest with you, I just don’t think is all as bad as some are suggesting but on the other hand, where does it all strop? All out on stage fornication or serious violence?

Here’s what all the fuss is about. Not sure Kerry won’t edit this but here it is. I’m not even sure if he should or shouldn’t edit it but it’s sort of a large national and forum topic so maybe people should know what they/we are talking about.

<small>[ February 29, 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Kerry Tobin ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:48 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Quote:
We stand high and mighty poo-pooing the "insantiy of it all" but run clamoring to the TV whenever the disclaimer of "Parental Discretion Advised" is foist upon us, drooling over the feast of flesh, violence, or whatever plate of titilation placed in front of us - and we eat it up with a spoon!
Your 'we' might. My 'we' doesn't.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:15 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I agree with Brian. Some people might drool over the crap they show on t.v., but I avoid it and so does my family. Don't lump us all into one big pile of "crap" watchers Medic cuz I don't fit the bill.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:54 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
We're doing a great job of protesting to each other that we wouldn't condone such crap on TV. Has anyone sent a letter or e-mail to the TV Network? I have not, but will this week.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:05 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Miss Piggy! What a kick!! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:02 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

"Salivate and desperately search the internet for the bootleg copy of the incident in order to see the "real thing" with out the video obscured"?

Medic, get a clue! Maybe you do are "desperately searching" for this crap, but believe it or not, with a full time job, kids, a husband, volunteer work, and trying to better the community I live in, the last thing I am "searching" for is a flash of Janet Jackson's boob. But your post reveals quite a lot about what you are doing in your OWN spare time. I suggest you check out volunteering at a local shelter. It will give you a chance to re-examine your priorities.

<small>[ February 23, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Anita ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:24 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Heal thyself through Janet's 'Miracle' boob... :D

<small>[ February 29, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Kerry Tobin ]</small>

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Greetings,
I am so glad to see that the posters on this board are above all the "crap" and live wholseome fullfilling, lilly-white lives. As for my volunteering at a shelter to re-align my priorities, no thank you, I work in a public service industry day in and day out and my priorities are just fine thank you very much. My whole adult professional career is one of serving and bettering my community so don't lay that crap on me.

In terms of the "we" I was referring to, this was a cynical and angry tounge in cheek representation of the "average" publican. Just look at what the "media" thinks we think, or more accurately tells us what "we" think we should think, and you will get a sense of where my cynicism and anger comes from. "We" are sheep, at least to the Neilsons or whomever sets the "in" things for our guillible public. And until "we" turn the dang TV or Radio off, stop buying thier albums, books, videos, Mp3s, cereal boxes, slave labor clothing lines, and crappy tabloid newspapers, "we" will never get anything better then what palaver "we" get now.

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

"Overpriced" was mentioned in one of the posts, and in my opinion, the whole of professional sports is "overpriced". The salaries and perks these people recieve are ridiculous! Then, when they stub their toe, it's off to the injured reserve list for a few weeks.
Has anyone seen or been to a rodeo? These guys "pay to play." They pay their entry fees, and if they don't ride, it's no paycheck for them, and it's off to the next rodeo. Most times, they are riding with broken bones, or torn muscles.
I do not watch any of these so called "professional" baseball, basketball or football sports.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:45 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I know rodeo rode this thread off track but I can't resist.

rodeo - I would tend to disagree with your take on sport salaries. Sporting events have a huge audience much like the Hollywood movies. Like the movies and TV shows, people pay to see their favorite players on their favorite teams. Some of these players are "stars" in every sense of the word much like their counterparts in Hollywood. Barry Bonds and Mike Modano get paid millions of dollars because there aren't very many Barry Bonds or Mike Modanos out there and there are many teams competing for these top players and literally millions of fans lining up for tickets to see them. Its just supply and demand.

We shall see how the NHL players (NHLPA) strike goes next year...

Sorry folks. Back to Janets right boob.

That wasn't a very flattering flash if you ask me. I expected better from Janet Jackson. My guess is that Janet will probably have two or three boob jobs then pose in Playboy to redeem herself.

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: cmoo ]</small>