Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:27 am 
General User
General User

America often forgets that if not for the French, the United States would not exist.

The comments on the difference between weapons of mass destruction and mass terrorism are indeed being overlooked by Bush who just fudges it all together.

We could declare war on a new country every week and not insure against future "9-11 events."

The weapons involved by the way were common airliners not nuclear bombs, biological or chemical weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by JFlosum:
I just resent the heck out of the fact that so many people are so willing to criticize and defame the nation’s policy purely on a partisan bases or other such nonsense; Bush was in the National Guard, his daughters won’t enlist,
To make it clear, in case anyone thinks I oppose this war because of the reasons you mention, which are pretty silly, I oppose this war because to date it does not meet the criteria for a Just War.

Nell

<small>[ February 10, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: NurseNell ]</small>

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

NurseNell? You posted those things, I didn't ! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JFlosum:
NurseNell? You posted those things, I didn't !
I didn't say they were reasons not to go to war.
I also didn't post anything about Gore, I didn't vote for him. :eek:

Nell

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, there has been this little controversy raging over the last millenium or so about who the "true God" is. I am sure that you have heard about it. Everyone involved in this rhubarb is absolutely certain that they have the right answer and that the other guy is wrong. We stopped yelling at each other and started the fighting a bunch of centuries ago and as far as anybody can tell there have been more humans slaughtered over this contested issue than all the rest of them put together. Just when we here in this country thought maybe we had risen above this sort of conflict and that God fearing people of all flavors could exist together peacefully, a small band of true believers rammed some aircraft into a couple of crowded buildings. I am sure that the last words on their lips were something like "praise God" or the equivalent. There are pleanty more where they came from and all of them are thoroughly convinced that they worship the one "true God" and that he is telling them to wipe all the rest of us who worship the "wrong God" from the face of the earth. Although I have not been driven to this point yet, I am beginning to understand why men like Marx and his ilk thought that man would be better off without God than they are with Him. Pray for them if you like, and I hope it does some good but the events of the past thousand years or so don't hold too much promise for the process.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:23 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

"Bush was in the National Guard, his daughters won’t enlist"
Why should his daughters enlist???My daughter had a phone call from an army recruiter a couple weeks ago and she told him he had better not show up on our doorstep because her mom would meet him with a shotgun. And I'm her mother! And she was right!!!!

<small>[ February 10, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: pat ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:35 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I am not going to post whether or not I believe we should go to war with Iraq because, as in any political decision, what the people believe is of little if any consequence to the politicians. If they decide to go to war they will do it even if the the majority of the population disagrees.

I do want to comment to those that are considering taking part in one or more of the many protests that are being held that, prior to taking part in the protest, you may want to find out who exactly is sponsoring and giving financial support for the protest. Several of the protests that have been taking place have been funded by the American Communist Party. We are so concerned with those behind the pro-war decisions, we may not realize who is against war. NOTE: I am not saying that all people who march against the war are Communists - for those who may try to make that assumption. I am only stating that this particular party funds the anti-war movement.

Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:36 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by pat:My daughter had a phone call from an army recruiter a couple weeks ago and she told him he had better not show up on our doorstep because her mom would meet him with a shotgun. And I'm her mother! And she was right!!!
What IF your daughter WANTED to enlist? Would you take a shotgun to her too? Just who should serve Pat?

Nell, who served and **** proud I did

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:17 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I know for a fact that Pat would be proud of her children, no matter their decision. If they decided to enlist, she may try to explain to them her fear of losing them in times of war, but she would always respect and accept her children's decisions.

And I think that most people read that post and realized that it was a rhetorical comment. Kind of like saying, "There is nothing that NurseNell hasn't done or anything that she doesn't know." I am sure most people would assume that it wasn't meant literally. Unless of course you have and do.

<small>[ February 11, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: jersey6876 ]</small>

Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:54 am 
Contributor
Contributor

U.S. fears al-Qaida set to use dirty bomb
Terrorists now said to be able to make, launch deadly devices By Josh Meyer / Los Angeles Times

After years of experiments, al-Qaida is capable of constructing "dirty bombs" and appears ready to launch terrorist attacks using the radiological devices and deadly chemical weapons, counterterrorism authorities said.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/nation/0302/10/a01-80471.htm

Additional stories: http://www.rocketnews.com/rocket/jsp/NewsSearch.jsp?searchWords=%22+Al-Qaida+%22&age=2

And you can bet your last dollar that Iraq is in some way, shapers or form supporting these efforts. Even if he’s just waiting in the wings to pounce after al-Qaida draws additional blood.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:15 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

>>I have yet to see any convincing factual data from any credible source to support a position for a war with Iraq, unless you cite the economic benefits of promoting the arms dealers and military industrial <<

For some to get with the program it will take a few hundred pounds of anthrax or ricin or maybe even nuclear materials for them to see the light. But even then there will be those that will aid the enemy with their protesting and kill more American soldiers by doing so. Shameful behavior.

Someone asked what was a “weapon of mass destruction”? Well, on 9//11 they were incident commercial airplanes, filled with incident people.

One can only imagine, and pray to the Almighty we never have to find out, what the body count would have been if those planes that hit the WTC were loaded with what ever these maniacs can concoct.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:18 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

NurseNell, we may disagree on some issues, but I am da mn proud of you too!!

Pat needs to get down on here knees and thank her lucky stars there are others that will go fight, and die, to protect her and her bankrupt idealism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:44 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I would definately be proud of my children if they chose to enter the service. However, I pray that they don't, no different then I pray that they don't choose an occupation that could possibly end their life. I have family members that have served (including a grandfather that served as a bomber pilot in WWII) and those that are serving. I am thankful for them and proud of them but I pray every day that they will come home safe. If a person has a bankrupt idealism because they hope their children don't choose a path that could possibly end their life, then I think that most parents are guilty of a bankrupt idealism. A person can be thankful for those that risk thier lives and at the same time pray that their children are not one of them.

Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

MINA, Saudi Arabia (AP)--Fourteen pilgrims were trampled to death Tuesday
during a ritual in the annual Muslim pilgrimage in which crowds of people
throw pebbles at three stone pillars representing the devil's temptations.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=62003744&p=6zxx445x

Devil 14 -- Idiots 0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:45 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

jersey6876, your position is very understandable and to be commended.... threatening to chase people off with a shot gun because they are trying to defend their county?.... I’ll stick with bankrupt idealism.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:14 pm 
General User
General User

Communists! Well I guess a good bogeyman never dies. Odd, I pulled into a church parking lot last Sunday and noticed a lot of anti-war bumper stickers. **** Communists must be hiding out at churchs these days.

International Day of Action To Stop the War
Saturday, February 15th 2003 1-3 pm
Wausau, Wisconsin

Join Wisconsin Northwoods Peace Initiative as we mobilize in WAUSAU for the International Day of Action to Stop the War. Music, speakers and resources. Make your voice heard.

Sponsored By: Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice, St. Anne Justice and Peace Committee, Northwoods Peace Fellowship http://www.mindspring.com/~wnpj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by jersey6876:
[QB]I know for a fact that Pat would be proud of her children, no matter their decision.
I think Pat can speak for herself. I still would like to know her answer to who she thinks should serve.

Quote:
Kind of like saying, "There is nothing that NurseNell hasn't done or anything that she doesn't know." I am sure most people would assume that it wasn't meant literally. Unless of course you have and do.
Right, a little sarcasm goes a long way. Obviously I've not done everything or know everything. There was one perfect person once, they crucified Him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
However, I pray that they don't, no different then I pray that they don't choose an occupation that could possibly end their life.
None of us who are parents want our children to die. There are plenty of dangerous occupations: being a police officer, fireman, or astronaut come to mind but there are many others. Dry cleaners are exposed to high levels of carcinogens, coal miners risk death every time they go in a mine, steel workers risk dying in hot molten steel, Greyhound bus drivers risk crazy people killing them, postal workers risk a crazed co-worker killing them. Pilots and stweardesses die in plane crashes. And then for those with safe occupations there is still the risk of death. There are those who drink and drive, or those who smoke. Those who drive motorcycles without helmets. Those who dive into unknown waters and break their necks. There are those who are sexually promsicuous and get HIV and a whole slew of STD's.

If we want to be 100% safe we'd never leave our homes, and even then we might die: gas explosions, domestic violence, fires.

When it comes to military duty I believe we all have a duty and responsibility to serve our country for 2 years minimum. That service does not have to be actual military duty, it could be serving in Vista or domestic peace corps type programs. I think we are the greatest country on earth and it's because of those who haven't been afraid to serve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:30 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:

Several of the protests that have been taking place have been funded by the American Communist Party. We are so concerned with those behind the pro-war decisions, we may not realize who is against war. NOTE: I am not saying that all people who march against the war are Communists - for those who may try to make that assumption. I am only stating that this particular party funds the anti-war movement.
As the communists nations have as much or more overt conflict with Muslim militants, why would they support opponents of war with Iraq other than the fact that they realize war and political instability are non productive? I would be interested in seeing a source for these connections. Last week someone wrote a letter to the editor opposing Bush and hate talk radio out of Wausau called the writer a communist.

Bush is already waging a war, a war on America.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone thinking Communism is dead, is dead wrong. They are alive and functioning right here in the United States. And they will support what ever is seen as weakening what they see as “the” power structure of the day. At this time it is George Bush and his administration. They seem to be more supportive of a Democrat in the White House. They supported their own candidate in the last election and then Gore in the “recount form ****“!

http://www.cpusa.org/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:20 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

It seems inevitable that those who protest against war will be labeled unpatriotic and other names -- including "Communist." Try this: Yesterday, Osama bin Laden (Remember him? He was the guy G.W.Bush promised to get "dead or alive!) supplied a tape to the Qatar-based Al-Jazeera television network. It contained the usual threats against the U.S. and called upon the Iraqi people to resist U.S. aggression with suicide bombings, etc.
BIN LADEN ALSO REFERRED TO SADDAM HUSSEIN AS AN "INFIDEL," AND A "COMMUNIST" AND CALLED HIS REGIME CORRUPT. No love apparently lost between Saddam
and bin Laden! Neverthless, Bush Administration officials, including Colin Powell and Richard Boucher were promptly on the air speaking about the "nexus" between the "terrorists" (presumably bin Laden and al-Qaida) and the "state" (presumably Saddam Hussein) in Iraq. Anything goes when you are all dressed up for war and itching to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next