Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Competition can be goo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Letter in the 12-23-08 Tomahawk Leader

To the Editor:

In many if not most cases, competition will cause fairness in prices which we all benefit from. However, every once in a while, competition is not so good.

Three years ago, I underwent multiple open heart surgery. As part of the recovery process, it was suggested that I exercise several times each week by walking, swimming, etc. I was told that our own Inshalla Country Club offered a fitness program which was designed to benefit persons such as myself. They had several treadmills, ellipticals and other equipment for use.

The beauty of this program was the management offered a special rate for persons in rehab at a reduced membership fee which was very helpful to anyone on a fixed income. But then the competition came to town offering the keys to their doors using the old 24/7 (open 24 hours, 7 days) approach which I suppose would be attractive to anyone on a swing shift but it doesn’t appeal to me in the least.

It was a dark day indeed when the mail lady delivered a letter from John at Inshalla several months ago which simply stated that their membership had dropped and they had decided to discontinue their fitness program and my membership would not be renewed.
As the competition does not offer a reduced rate for seniors and persons in rehab that require daily exercise, I find myself looking out the window at roads covered with ice and snow reminiscing about the good old days.

So you see, sometimes competition isn’t always good.

Dennis R. Fauth
Tomahawk