This is what you get

Letters to the Editor from the Tomahawk Leader.
Tomahawk Leader
Administrator
Administrator

This is what you get

Postby Tomahawk Leader » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm

A Letter to the Editor in the July 14, 2015, Tomahawk Leader:

This is what you get when you have gerrymandered Assembly and Senate Districts. This is what you get when legislators care more about lobbyist, trade associations, A.L.E.C. and other special interest groups than the people they are supposed to represent. This is what you get when legislators are so ashamed of what they are doing that they try to limit the public right to know. This is what you get when legislators can't tell you who put and item into the budget. This is what you get when you have a Governor who backs this type of legislative malfeasance and has his staff work with the Joint Finance Committee to include it in the state budget. This is what you get when legislators allow items to be put into the budget that have nothing to do with taxes or expenditures. This is what you get when Budget committee members put pork in at the last minute to solicit support for other non-budget items. This what you get when your representatives are mere puppets special interest groups and their party leadership. This is what you get when your representatives care more about some phoney grade from special interest groups than about public safety.

If your elected representatives meet with lobbyist and then introduce legislation written in whole or part by that lobbyist, they have betrayed the public trust. If your elected representative introduces legislation suggested by or is a member of A.L.E.C. they have betrayed the public trust. If your elected representative attends fund raisers sponsored by lobbyist where the lobbyist act as bundler's they have betrayed the public trust.

The First Amendment to the Constitution guarantees all the right to petition their government. It does not give the right to buy their government. In my opinion Lobbyist, trade associations and special interest groups of all strips the moral equivalent to drug dealers.
I called both Senator Tiffany and Assemblywoman Czaja and asked them to call me back regarding the item in the budget which would restrict the public's right to know. To his credit Senator Tiffany did call me back. From Assemblywoman Czaja, nothing.
Although the editor of the Tomahawk Leader trusts them to do the right thing, I do not share that opinion as they have demonstrated over and over again where their loyalties lie. These corrosive practices are turning the legislative process into a legalized Quid Pro Quo. Tell these people to quit patting themselves on the back and demand a public apology for their betrayal of the public trust.

Greg Guthrie
Tomahawk

Return to “Letters to the Editor”