Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The following was published in the March 6, 2012, Tomahawk Leader:

Love Letter to My Friends in Tomahawk,

I can hardly believe that it has been an entire year since I said goodbye to my beloved Tomahawk. I have been thinking about all of you so much that I thought I should write to let you know how we are all doing. I want you know that I am certain that the time we spent in Tomahawk was truly a gift from God. There is no place like it anywhere and it is a wonderful place to live.

Now what makes it special? Aside from its beauty with the lakes and woods, I believe its true beauty is the people. As my family and I drove down Route 51 a year ago, my heart literally broke in two. I cried for hours as my car kept heading south because I knew what we were leaving behind.

It’s funny the things I miss most are my everyday connections with some of the greatest people God ever put on this earth. For those of you who are reading this, and maybe are having a bad day, take heart in knowing that you live in the best town ever. You are surrounded by really great people and I would give anything to walk down Main Street and Fourth Street to check in with my old friends. Living life in Tomahawk is how life is meant to be lived. Period.

I could go on and on, but Larry is charging me by the word so I better not get too wordy (just kidding). We are settled here in Charlotte, N.C., and are all healthy and doing fine. The girls are doing great in school and with swimming. They love exploring the woods that are located directly behind our home. They have built these amazing forts with their neighborhood friends and spend every possible minute outside. I will tell you though, they miss Tomahawk and they too recognize how special our time there was. They talk about their friends, neighbors and teachers.

What we all really miss is our shopping/dining experiences. It is just not the same in a large city. Shopping is a mall, and dining is a large scale restaurant, and neither one of these really suits us. Just a side note, Shorty, you still have the best Bloody Mary’s; Van, the best Chai Tea; Bambino’s, the best Salad Bar; Rodeo, the best wings/cheesy fries/and a great guy named Tom; Pine Tree, the best cuts of meat ever; Deb and Larry, the best wine and cheese in the World (and the nicest people around); and IKE’s Café, the best Eggs Benedict. The shopping experiences that we once had in Tomahawk are now Have To’s because the kids need new school clothes. Needless to say we miss Main Street!

I am now working as a Fun and Fitness Teacher for a Christian school and I teach 3, 4 and 5 year old children a fun-filled program that I designed. I have to say, I do love my job. The kids are amazing and they feed my soul with so much love that I know this is a job that I was meant to do. The other day one of the 4-year-old kids that I teach said to me, “Ms. Lori, do you know why I love you?” I said, “No Why?” With a big old grin on his face he said, “Because you are one of us.” So, I guess the perception from the kids is that I am still 4 years old and that is fine by me.

As I close this letter, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that even though I am no longer living in Tomahawk, I still love you and I always will…

Lori Koppelmann
Former Tomahawk Main Street Director

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Lori, what a really great letter !!! The best of luck to you and your family in Charlotte !!!