Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor published in the Tomahawk Leader

Fire Prevention Week and a loss for a truly wonderful family:

Last evening the sirens started coming down S. Tomahawk Avenue with sickening regularity and later on another fire truck joined the earlier units, all passing by my home at 602 S. Tomahawk at the highest rate of speed possible. I wondered where they were all going, not why they were going so fast, that is not my point. The point is that I live on the corner of Putnam, and adjacent to the CN crossing, which if one travels that route, is a seriously screwed up wreck of a two-lane highway. This poorly maintained portion leading to the crossing is the responsibility of the city. They periodically throw a few shovelfuls in to the crevasses, but not recently. I am not sure how the volunteer fire department feels about running over those rubber mats at the speeds they were going at, but I can tell you that I felt each and every vehicle as it crashed over that track, and again wondered where they were off to.

The CN Company says they maintain the track, the state and county are not responsible, the city must take care of this and, if not, it must be low on funds. How about fixing the crossing before we build a campground or spend money to protect Bradley Park from those taxpaying citizen who want to save it. I am also deeply grieved that those volunteers in the fire vehicles were traveling to Julie and Tom Thompson's home, everyone is safe but the domicile is a loss.

Sincerely,
Ray Zindrick
Tomahawk