Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Equal time
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Letter to the Editor in the Tomahawk Leader:

If you didn’t already know it, which could only happen if you live in a cave, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I am a two-time breast cancer survivor so you’d think I’d love this month, right? Wrong. I’m tired of the onslaught of pink everywhere. I want to see lung cancer, which kills more women than breast cancer, get equal awareness along with research dollars and efforts. My mother died of small cell lung cancer in 2000. The mortality rate hasn't changed in the 12 years since then. More lung cancer is being seen in non-smoking women. We need research to find out why so that steps can be taken to reduce the risk. That won’t happen without dollars.

I want breast cancer awareness ads to let men know they too can get breast cancer. One percent of breast cancer occurs in men. They tend to develop the genetic types of breast cancer which tend to be more aggressive to begin with. Men are diagnosed later than women, in part because they don’t know that men can get breast cancer. Doctors are more likely to wait and watch with a male presenting with a lump. Men have to fight with their health insurance companies to get mammograms. Put all these factors together and maybe you can understand why men with breast cancer have a significantly higher death rate than women with breast cancer.

I want to see more awareness and dollars for heart disease, which kills far more women than breast cancer does. It’s the number one cause of death for women. We are seeing more awareness about heart disease but more needs to be done. I don’t want breast cancer awareness to stop. I don’t want research to stop. Breast cancer mortality has been reduced significantly from what it was 25 years ago. One reason is more women do seek medical attention sooner. Another reason is the advent of estrogen blocking drugs. But let’s give other cancers and diseases the same awareness and dollars.

Elizabeth McBride
Tomahawk

Post subject: Re: Equal time
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:22 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: former resident
Spambot: No
The perfect evidence that teens and young adults are dumber than ever is that they continue to drink liquor, smoke, mainline drugs, dope themselves, and sleep around like dogs in greater numbers than ever before. You'd think that after decades of awareness we'd see more progress in these numbers other than less than ever pregnancies coming to term, which is not in any way effecting any of the other problems. :x

I would like to see actual praise of kids that choose to stay clean, sober, and moral given equal time, rather than everyone speaking of them as abnormal or their parents spoken of abusive in order to have produced a kid that actually waits for age 18. 21. college graduation, or even marriage for their "first time" and never does the other stuff more than once, or even NEVER.

"To conquer a nation, first disarm its CITIZENS"-Hitler