Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Follow-up to arrest
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

This was a Letter to the Editor in the March 19, 2013, Tomahawk Leader. She is candidate for chair in the Town of Skanawan and said, "I had hoped that before a mountain was made out of a molehill the citizens of Skanawan would have taken the time to get to know me or come to me and ask me personally about issues. For those of you, who were not at the meeting and still have questions, PLEASE feel free to call me at 715-224-2555. I will answer all questions.)

The letter as published said:

The Jan. 9, 2013, publication of the Tomahawk Leader published my name for an arrest.
I am not denying that I was arrested as I was. I was arrested on possible domestic abuse charges. Yes, I became belligerent and out of control. Yes, I was on some toxic prescription medications as well. One of the medications, Toradol/ketorolac, causes kidney failure and a week after my arrest the discovery of the seriousness of the side effects of this drug was brought to the attention of the nation on ABC News and how sports players had been using this medication in pill form and what was happening to them had happened to me. The fact my kidneys were shutting down meant that not all the other prescription medications I was on as well were being filtered out either. I have chronic migraines and was taking this medication for a preventative especially during severe weather pressure changes.

Since the January 9th, 2013 publication, I have received unsigned as well as no return to sender-addressed letters addressing this issue. The Skanawan town letter came out and as if the article in the newspaper was not damaging enough the court access website was posted in the letter. Yes, I have three OWI’s in which I sought immediate treatment and after serving my 24 days in jail, I began my search to start attending college. May 2009 I started an accelerated 4 year Bachelor of Science Criminal Justice Degree Program that I completed July 2012. I decided to continue my education even further and go into law. I checked with Wisconsin Bar as to programs and are there any online programs they would recommend as well as accept. They gave me the names of two schools, which I applied to both of them and was accepted by both. September 4th, 2012 I began my schooling in law. Wisconsin Bar and California Bar are both aware of my past and when I pass my bar exams and am accepted, I would be able to practice law in California and Wisconsin.

March 6th, 2013 I received a letter from the District Attorney’s office in which they have declined to prosecute the January incident. As of to date I have no charges pending. I have never had a felony conviction. I have never denied nor will I deny my past. It made me the person who I am today, a college graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree with Summa Cum Laude honors and currently attending Taft Law University online with expected graduation of 2016.
Sincerely,
Beth Schwartz
Tomahawk