Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor in the Sept. 18 issue:

To The Editor:

I wonder how many people in our town have actually stopped by and looked at the new veterans’ memorial built this summer in Memorial Park? My husband and I stopped by there the other day we had some extra time to pass and thought that would be a nice thing to see. Well, there are no words really to tell you the pride I felt in not only being an American, but how great it felt to be part of Tomahawk and Lincoln County. The sacrifice made by our local people is overwhelming, the pride it gave us in knowing so very many of our friends as well as the other people, and knowing what they have sacrificed to keep us here safe and sound. I plan on getting a block for my husband as well as for my brother as they both gave of themselves also. My husband served two years in Germany during a time of very high stress and has medals he is very proud of. My brother was not only wounded twice in Korea, but received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star along with many other medals.
I think this is just the greatest thing anyone can do to honor their family member forever.

I did surprise me, however, how many businesses have forgotten their veterans, there are no blocks from so many of our industrial leaders, and I congratulate the ones who have sponsored blocks to show their pride in name and country. They need not name every veteran in their employ, but they should at least show them respect and honor. I also want to say what a terrific job the ones who planned and gave of their time to build this beautiful monument.

On this day of remembrance of 9/11, I can’t think of a more special place to visit.

We live in a pretty great place.

Judy Powers
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor in the Sept. 18 issue:

Privilege to attend ceremony

Dear Larry and Kathy,

I had the honor and privilege to attend the 9/11/07 ceremony at Veterans Memorial Park on River Street with the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans and other veterans and citizens of your great city and area.
Your grade school children did a wonderful job on singing of the songs and we had a bald eagle in flight overhead during the entire event.

I pray for the best of everything for all of the people of the city and area of Tomahawk, Wisconsin.

Sincerely yours,

Harold J. Schmitt
Rothschild
USMC 60-63, VVA 324