Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Take time to stop …
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

(A Letter to the Editor in the July 18, 2006, Tomahawk Leader)

To the Editor,

Let me just start by saying that since my husband and I have moved to Tomahawk and started our family, we have really loved it here. This community is welcoming, generous, caring and a great place to live and raise a family.

My only problem is how it takes so long to cross the streets here in town. I have two children and we love to go for walks and to go bike riding. The problem is whenever we need to cross a street at an intersection it takes forever. I can recall many times when I watched my watch to see how long it was taking for someone to stop for us and sometimes it took as long as 15 minutes. This is of course on a busy summer day. By my standards that is just way too long to have to wait.

So when the Downtown Business Council and other sponsors purchased and put out the Stop for Pedestrians signs I was really excited. Finally, something to remind people of their surroundings and not to mention the law.

It’s now been a few weeks since the signs have been put out and I’m happy to say that when my family walks downtown on main street things seems to be getting better. However, on 4th Street I have not seen a change. In fact since the signs have been in place I have personally timed a mother with her three children have to wait nine minutes for someone to stop for her and when they stopped three cars just blew around them and didn’t stop. So it took over 10 minutes for her to get across.

In just the last week, I tried to cross at an intersection with a green sign with my children and not only did many vehicles go past me but also a Tomahawk Police Officer. Isn’t it the police officers’ job to be a good example for all in following the law? It is the pedestrian’s right-of-way and why are the police not enforcing the law. I just don’t understand. Have we gotten so busy in our lives that we can’t take 2 minutes out of our day to stop for a mother and her children, a bicycle, an elderly man or anyone else for that matter? I think these signs were a great purchase and a wonderful idea. However, if the police department doesn’t stand behind them then what is the point?

Thank you,
Rachel Rowell and family
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
I have also noticed cars going around stopped vehicles instead of waiting for people to cross (on 4th street) how much of an inconvenience is it to stop for a minute & let people cross??
Granted, there are a few individuals that think they can cross ANYWHERE on the street (not in cross walks) & vehicles should stop. They just walk straight out without looking, in middle of the blocks! I hate to say it but it is usually juveniles that do this - or ride their bikes across the streets wherever they choose.
It is a sad state of affairs when pedestrians are not allowed to walk!! (when they are acting legally)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:05 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
In fact since the signs have been in place I have personally timed a mother with her three children have to wait nine minutes for someone to stop for her and when they stopped three cars just blew around them and didn’t stop.
First of all, you have entirely too much time on your hands.. ;)

But I agree with you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I have also witnessed not only the local law inforcement but also local city of Tomahawk employees driving city of Tomahawk white pick up trucks going around stopped vehicles that were stopped for pedestrains, I was the one stopped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:56 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Has this recently been happening? Like in the last 9-10 months? I don't recall this ever happening, while I lived in Tomahawk. I think I waited 30 seconds on the 4th of July at around 7 pm to cross 4th street. There is no traffic in Tomahawk to be waiting 10 minutes to cross the street, I don't even wait that long here in Madison. But I do agree with going around stopped vehicles. That is wrong and that is illegal if they are stopped for pedestrians and should be ticketed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they should have been ticketed, but no officer was there to witness it and when it is a city employee there are different standards here in Tomahawk. It should be a higher standard so the general public has a good example to follow it however is not. I did not get the license number or truck number or I would have reported it. I have been watching closer though and someday.....