Nicolet Board off base …

Letters to the Editor from the Tomahawk Leader.
Tomahawk Leader
Administrator
Administrator

Nicolet Board off base …

Postby Tomahawk Leader » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:30 pm

A Letter to the Editor in the Feb. 14 Tomahawk Leader

To the Editor:

The Nicolet College Board of Trustees, I think, is acting much like our irresponsible U.S. Congress. In my opinion, they are trying to get their $23.5 million Nicolet Campus Medical Health building referendum passed as quickly as possible, and with as little opposition as possible. To me this is Fast Track Legislation at its finest.

The board agreed on Dec. 20, 2005, to go forward with a public hearing on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2006, for one hour, and then have the voters take it up as a referendum vote on Feb. 21, 2006.

If you take into account that this was over the holiday period and into the new year, it seems very convenient for the board that very little interest would be generated. This is a common practice of school boards to try and pass unfavorable referendums at low periods of voter turnout.
The Wausau technical college just completed its new $20-$30 million medical building. Now Rhinelander needs to keep up with its neighbor to the south. Why doesn’t the board go to Rep. Obey and have him get the $20 million like Wausau did? The hospitals have no trouble building new centers, so let them pay for their own trained professionals.

Vote no on this referendum.

Dick Bunkelman
Tomahawk

Return to “Letters to the Editor”