Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:16 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glenn Younger:
[QB]Deb, Deb, Deb,

I had to add this because I found it absolutely ridiculous. Do you realize what you are saying when you say pets will not turn on you? Everyday pets turn on there masters and others. I personally remember a few years back one of my friends sister's face was bitten severely by their family dog. This dog had been part of the family for years. Pets do not love unconditionally. They know who feeds them and plays with them. Stop doing that and we will see if they still love you. Come on now, be realistic.

Come on now be realistic, give me a break, 9 times out of ten when an animal turns on their master, their master had it coming, the animal was probably mistreated, more certain than not if it came from a home that they were treated as a replaceable item. Don't for one second try to make anyone believe that animals are not loyal companions. If you want to take on the world in this then so be it, but fact of the matter is, Both of the shooters made a choice and shot an unreplaceable animal that had feeling, was probably approaching the vehicle seeing what the shooters brought them. If you feel that they are replaceable, I pity you and any family of your own that may come in the future. After all if you think that animals can just be replaced when they die, aren't there many homeless kids in the world? Are you insinusating that when someone looses a child they can just call up an orphanage and request a new one? You are so wrong, and I pray for animal that you might own.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
codysrset, evidently you did not read my subsequent post. In explanation, my meaning was that a pet will not turn on you emotionally. I have to agree that yes a pet will turn on an owner but not as you are stating, 9 times out of 10 the master has it coming. I am aware of at least 2 pitbull attacks in the Eau Claire area within the past couple years that were unprovoked. One of which was a female thinking she needed to protect puppies that were not her litter. I don't believe that anyone here insinuated anything of the like that an animal is thought more highly than an unadopted child. That is somewhat ridiculous thinking on your part.

Oh, as far as my pet is concerned. She is a family member. She was my comfort and companion when we moved from Tomahawk. She travels with us and looks forward to seeing the camper get pulled out from behind the house in the spring. She is lying at my feet as I type this. I leave to go to the store for a loaf of bread, upon my return she reacts as if I've been gone for a year.So no need to pray for my pet. FYI, codysrset, we will not replace her when she goes. Just like I would never think of calling an orphanage to replace a child.

<small>[ December 06, 2006, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Regrets:

It has taken me a couple of days to get up the courage to do this. I realize now as I read over the conversations for the past few weeks and more importantly the recent ones from the horses' owner that I am wrong. I found it harder and harder to defend my friend after the wrongs he had done. It's just too hard to believe he would do any of this. I took out my anger at him on y'all and for that I apologize. I also want to extend my most sincere apologies to the owners of the horses. In my haste to defend my friend I said some things that were extremely insensitive and hurtful. In fact I love animals and someday wish to own a couple of horses. I realize now that I have done more damage to my friends position than good. This message board has consumed me and most of my thoughts for the past few weeks. It has been a real help to me to understand what is going on and the view points of victims affected by these atrocities.

I will now take what you have all said to heart and I will focus on helping Jacobs family and Jacob through these times. I will be there for him when he gets out and help him back on his feet. Again, I did not intend to alienate anyone or hurt anyones feelings even though I stated, in my last post, that I didn't care about anyones feelings. I guess when my mother emailed me saying that horses are kind of like people too, It also helped me realize my faults in saying they were nothing more than meat. She owned horses growing up and knows the bond that an owner can have with their horse. Possessions do help stimulate memories and I would be extremely mad if someone stole the things that I hold dear to my heart.

Please don't let anything negative that I have said reflect on Jacob. Don't hold him responsible for my misdealings. Thank you all for your input and advice and I hope that we can all get through this as a community.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:52 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Well said, Glenn. Merry Christmas to you also.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:57 am 
General User
General User

Thanks Glenn. I don't think I ever mentioned in my responses here, that I do admire your courage and steadfast support of your friend.

I wish my own son had friends who were willing to speak up for him.

It takes a big man to admit when he's been wrong. I understand how emotions run away and we lose our initial focus. Happens to me all the time.

I hope you do stand by your friend. He will need that support so much. Friendship and acceptance is priceless.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Merry Christmas Glenn Younger and good luck in school. Enjoy your time at home in Tomahawk. It is a great place to go home to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:50 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Well said Glenn!! I guess we all had time to sit and think about what what really has happened...Me as well!He needs to know he has a friend as close as you to stick by him right now! I would Just like to say at this time , To all the peoples lives my brother has affected, I am deeply sorry!!! I know I am not the one that should be apologizing for his crimes, but I feel as A brother I have to do my part also. I wish I could turn back time, and replace all the sedimental value that was lost, But unfortunately it's not possible.
Jacob knew what he was doing was wrong, But he choose to continue what he was doing despite that. Now he must face his punishment, and hopefully, It will teach him to be a better person in the end. I am still baffled that my little brother has turned to do something so severe.I guess anyone can change over time!
To the owners of Shilo & Champ, My deepest apologies!!!What they did, was uncalled for!
Deb...Hopefully our family members can learn from their mistakes, and return as better people with a fresh start on life.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!
Kurt B.

<small>[ December 08, 2006, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: butler54487 ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:08 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thank you butler54487. You are a brave young man. Hold your head high. Try to make this season of great promise, joyous and loving. Remember to hug your mom and dad whenever possible.

As far as my nephew is concerned, I too hope he is able to learn from the time he'll be in jail. He has something very special to consider, 2 month old twin sons. Especially for the sake of these precious little boys, I hope he grows up. Thanks again butler54487, Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:56 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

When it comes to the killing of the horses…HOW CAN WE OVERLOOK THIS?
75% of inmates in the prison system admit to abusing – torturing and killing animals of all types, before they MOVED ON to human beings. Can we forget such names as Jeffrey Dahmer, David Berkowitz (son of Sam), Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler) Patrick Sherril, Carol Edmund Cole (her first violent act was strangling a puppy) - and the list goes on and on. All these people started with animal abuse or the killing of animals. Check out Animal Abuse Statistics on line … it’s a real eye opener, as to how serious animal abuse is and what it leads to. It’s an issue that needs to be addressed the very first time it happens. Read about it.

We can’t just keep on blaming “the wrong crowd” for the actions of others. If ALL crimes were treated as the crimes that they are, and people had to serve time for ALL their crimes, that we would not have as many people in “the wrong crowd”. What message do we give these violators . . . go ahead . . . steal – kill – burn houses – cheat – do drugs – drive drunk . . . “ Our court systems are too full” so you’ll get only a little fine and a serving time sentence that will be drastically reducec to almost nothing . . . So WHY NOT KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU’RE DOING? The penal system may not rehabilitate people, but people need to know that there will be REAL consequences when they commit a crime.

I also feel sorry for the police men, and the veterinarians and all others who are called in on these crimes. They spend all this time, putting their lives in jeopardy, documenting, following procedure and what happens? The vet spends their time treating abused or wounded animals, spends time with documenting and they watch the violators walk away with a “slap on the wrist” and on their way to become repeat offenders.

As for the Texan getting upset with those of us who prefer not to put our names to our letters … Why should I trust someone who has stole, set fires to cabins and KILLED innocent animals, not to make me the next target?

Glen Younger’s words, (on the message board) “But, horses can be replaced, cabins can be replaced, stolen items are just things.” shocked me. That horse was a living thing, loved like a family member. The actions of these criminals affected the lives of so many in ways we can’t imagine. They feel violated and in a emotional turmoil. His words about giving them (the criminals) a “second chance” . . . Were they thinking of a second chance when they fired a bullet into that second horse?

The “hang ‘em high” is not the intention of the petition. Though it is obvious that many people who signed this petition are fed up with our court system, watching so many crimes go unpunished. If you listen to the radio, it has become a big laugh, listening to the long list of crimes of these repeat offenders, how according to criminal guidelines, they would serve 125 years and they get out with a fine, 1 year sentence, and probation. I am sorry for the families of these criminals, but I think the Tomahawk community and surrounding area is making a statement. As someone else has stated: “Too many times the Lincoln County court system has failed the community.” We want justice. Plain and simple—Justice!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Buttler54487 and Glenn
Well put, some times after we have time to listen to others and think about it we understand their feelings too.
Dont let Jacob and his family down but dont make it too easy either.
Hope they all learn from this before they go on to some thing bigger.
Merry Christmas and God bless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Concerned:
When it comes to the killing of the horses…HOW CAN WE OVERLOOK THIS?
75% of inmates in the prison system admit to abusing – torturing and killing animals of all types, before they MOVED ON to human beings. Can we forget such names as Jeffrey Dahmer, David Berkowitz (son of Sam), Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler) Patrick Sherril, Carol Edmund Cole (her first violent act was strangling a puppy) - and the list goes on and on. All these people started with animal abuse or the killing of animals. Check out Animal Abuse Statistics on line … it’s a real eye opener, as to how serious animal abuse is and what it leads to. It’s an issue that needs to be addressed the very first time it happens. Read about it.

We can’t just keep on blaming “the wrong crowd” for the actions of others. If ALL crimes were treated as the crimes that they are, and people had to serve time for ALL their crimes, that we would not have as many people in “the wrong crowd”. What message do we give these violators . . . go ahead . . . steal – kill – burn houses – cheat – do drugs – drive drunk . . . “ Our court systems are too full” so you’ll get only a little fine and a serving time sentence that will be drastically reducec to almost nothing . . . So WHY NOT KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU’RE DOING? The penal system may not rehabilitate people, but people need to know that there will be REAL consequences when they commit a crime.

I also feel sorry for the police men, and the veterinarians and all others who are called in on these crimes. They spend all this time, putting their lives in jeopardy, documenting, following procedure and what happens? The vet spends their time treating abused or wounded animals, spends time with documenting and they watch the violators walk away with a “slap on the wrist” and on their way to become repeat offenders.

As for the Texan getting upset with those of us who prefer not to put our names to our letters … Why should I trust someone who has stole, set fires to cabins and KILLED innocent animals, not to make me the next target?

Glen Younger’s words, (on the message board) “But, horses can be replaced, cabins can be replaced, stolen items are just things.” shocked me. That horse was a living thing, loved like a family member. The actions of these criminals affected the lives of so many in ways we can’t imagine. They feel violated and in a emotional turmoil. His words about giving them (the criminals) a “second chance” . . . Were they thinking of a second chance when they fired a bullet into that second horse?

The “hang ‘em high” is not the intention of the petition. Though it is obvious that many people who signed this petition are fed up with our court system, watching so many crimes go unpunished. If you listen to the radio, it has become a big laugh, listening to the long list of crimes of these repeat offenders, how according to criminal guidelines, they would serve 125 years and they get out with a fine, 1 year sentence, and probation. I am sorry for the families of these criminals, but I think the Tomahawk community and surrounding area is making a statement. As someone else has stated: “Too many times the Lincoln County court system has failed the community.” We want justice. Plain and simple—Justice!
From the look of your comments, I'm assuming that you chose to reply before you finished reading the rest of the conversation...

I agree that the court system is certainly flawed, but as for your comment.. I don't think ANYONE has proposed or even remotely implied that the crimes should be "overlooked".

Mr. Younger has explained his comments and apologized for them, apparently you missed it.

I do agree with you in general theory, but then again I don't think there are many that don't.

(And Glenn, thank you for your honesty.. that was well spoken.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:03 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

After Listening to the radio today, It’s obvious that a large part of the community agrees that something has to change in our legal system. The saying “the court system is backed up” is no reason to ask the victims to drop charges. I admire the courage of the owners of these horses for taking a stand for themselves and for the members of this community to help protect themselves and others from being the victims of a crime. Lets give the criminals a reason to NOT commit crimes. . . Not an “out” when they do commit a crime.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:06 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: family
To the leader board,
my name is krista mildenberger, im the granddaughter of al and jean rahlf, the horse that jacob baars killed was mine and it hurts to know when i go to visit my grandparents i dont have my baby my bestfriend to see to ride or to play games with anymore its hard to relize that hes gone,and the most shock of all that it was a guy that i went to school with in tomahawk high school. Jacob Baars was the most quiet kid, nice and funny, but i never thought ever he would do this and i know people are sayen he got in the wrong crowd, but he had a mind of his own, he new right from wrong,and he did it anyways and for that he should be punished good, with no easy break. why i think that is because animals have a personality and its like killing a person and it will only take time before they harm someone or something else.
i don't care how long he will be in jail for or whatever else, but something has to be done, and maybe just maybe later in life he will learn that killing things, damaging things are not fun and cool, what u damage and what you kill you will get punished for.
I hope people that read this can understand how i feel that horse that was shoot was my everthing and now its gone. So lets do something about it before it happens to someone else. Thankx for reading and understanding my letter.

Sincerly krista mildenberger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: family
to the family of the baars i know its hard to relize that ur son jacob the good kid and a grade A student would do this but if he was thinking this wouldnt happen to anyone it all so i dont care what happens it all cause if that was ur animal or something that u liked so much u would be doing the same thing that iam doing and everyone else iam truly sorry for what u guys are going through but u have no ideal what im going through it all so maybe if u stop and think for once then ur selfs and about others and just understand maybe everything will go all right just maybe and for the other guys that he was with i hope they get what they deserve cause in my eyes they will never change never. have a great day and think what i said oh i did send a letter to the leader bored so if u want to read it go right a head maybe ull have some feeling for me thankx krista

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Is this some new kind of English ? ? ? :roll: If not then they are not doing a very good job of teaching spelling or grammer in school anymore ! ! ! :roll: :roll: It would make a lot more sense if I was sure what I was reading !

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:46 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Old Scout, blame it on to text messaging!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Call me old fashioned and I know that I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case the grammar and spelling in those previous posts, but I know I do judge.

I simply can't take the message seriously when the messenger does such a poor job of selling it. It really was lost in the translation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:20 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: lived in tomahawk
I am writting to tell you that I feel Jacob is just as guilty or more so for the crimes done here. He has gone to court and lied and said, "NOT GUILTY" to get away with it not pay for what he did. Yeah, its time to face the truth and pay. You do the crime you do the time kid! We all make mistaskes but for crying out loud we all know with everything we do there are conciquences whether it be good or bad. Wake up Baars family he's not a saint he's a crimanal that needs to do his time. He has a rap this is not the first thing he did and it won't be the last. Its hard on the family but hey its not your fault he did what he did, he is an adult like it or not. He just made bad choices and needs to be accountable for them now. BE HONEST!!!!!!