Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

To the Residents of Lincoln County:

This is a letter in regards to the Lincoln County service building. I have been doing research and obtaining information pertaining to the bidding and letting of this project to Ellis Stone as the general contractor.

As mentioned in an earlier letter back in November, the bidding requirements that Lincoln County requires contractors to abide by, seemed to have been violated by some of the Lincoln County Board supervisors and Building Committee members.

The letting of this project to Ellis Stone is not the problem, the problem is how Ellis Stone replaced the qualified electrical contractor who spent time and money to bid this project and was the low bidder and met all the requirements that Lincoln County set forth.

What bothers me is that the electrical contract was given to a contractor who didn’t even bid this project and is also a relation to the general contractor which in itself seems unethical, so do we know if this electrical contractor met the requirements that Lincoln County set forth? Another question is, are the residents of Lincoln County getting the best value for their hard earned money?
I had the opportunity to sit in on a few County Board meetings and was taken back when Mr. Powell said that they did everything correctly and that they had all the documentation that was required for the changing of the sub-contractors according to what Mr. Powell is saying and what documents I have been able to obtain there seems to be a discrepancy in what the residents of Lincoln County are being told.

I requested these documents in the beginning of November and was told there was none so I settled for what I could get. After the meeting in December, I again requested the same records and wouldn’t you know it, they had a document sitting under a pile of papers in an office and the person that was helping me knew right where it was even though I asked for such records under the public records request back in November; how convenient.

I would just like to say that as residents of Lincoln County and residents of the city of Merrill, we should all be asking the County Board what is going on and also, is our tax dollars being spent wisely?

Guy LePage
Merrill