Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A very sad heart
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

An open letter to all that read the Nokomis News:

I have had the distinct pleasure of writing the weekly article titled Nokomis News for some five months now. I have enjoyed many positive reactions and some constructive criticism. However, it is a very sad heart that I write now to inform you that Gary Baier has informed me that he no longer wants (me) to write the article.
I received a phone call from Mr. Baier this afternoon informing me that he felt I was being too “political” in my writings. He was upset because he thought that my reporting on his unopposed candidacy for county board was involving politics into my articles. He also was afraid I was announcing my candidacy for this position. This (is) so far from the truth that it scares me how anyone could believe that. I have repeatedly talked to him about this subject on many previous occasions. In the summertime, after school is out, I leave for vacation for an extended period of time. … there is no way I could or would enter politics, I just don’t have the time in summer. My vacation time with my family is too important to me.
I was merely trying to relate to you, my readers, what was happening in my town in my sometimes inept way. I truly feel sorry for people like Mr. Baier who have developed such a negative outlook on life. I have tried to do many positive things for the area that I live in and I appreciate all the more those who do positive things.

When I began writing the Nokomis News it was for fun, but I was saddened to find out that Mr. Baier wants total control over any and all articles that I wrote. Isn’t it great that we now have local politicians trying to control what is wrote. Keeping in mind that I was only reporting on the fact that he was running unopposed.
The next board meeting is scheduled for Feb. 11, and the topic on Nokomis News will be on the agenda. It would be nice to see more people there giving their opinion.

Thanks to all of you that read my articles and all of your comments. I truly appreciated you allowing (me) to come into your living room each week and have you read my articles.

Let’s all do something positive today!

Steve Cole
Town of Nokomis

Post subject: Re: A very sad heart
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:41 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
Steve,

I am very sorry you experienced Mr. Bier toxic behavior. It sounds like this government official is a very insecure person. If I remember back from 4th grade Civics class, freedom of press is in the Bill of Rights. You are not an employee of the Town of Nokomis; you are simply a volunteer reporter. There is no way a County Supervisor/Town Chairman should have any control over you. You are performing a community service to the residents of Nokomis and I commend you for that.

Is far as I know, the Town of Nokomis does not have copyrights for “Nokomis News.” I feel you should keep writing it and the Tobins should keep publishing it. To the Town of Nokomis Chairman “ hands off.” Thank you Steve Cole for your service to the community.