Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking answers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Letter to the Editor;

I recently contacted Senators Feingold and Kohl and Cong. Obey to obtain some answers. My first question dealt with the status of central Wisconsin’s designation as a repository for high level nuclear waste which came into effect in the 1980s.

Even though Nevada’s Yucca Mountain is the current, but contested choice, I was not aware of Wisconsin’s removal from that list. No one contacted could confirm the state’s position, but all promised to find out.

The state’s ranking on that list of repositories is relevant once again now that nuclear energy is being touted, incorrectly, as a clean or non-polluting choice for power generation. Uranium mining, conversion, enrichment and production of nuclear fuel make a substantial contribution to global warming. And the enormously problematic issue of nuclear waste disposal just will not go away.

My second set of questions dealt with an assertion that the U.S. government gives the state of Israel approximately $15 million per week without any strings attached or accountability.
The recent distressing news of 250,000 or more Palestinians fleeing Gaza into Egypt in order to obtain food, medicine and other necessities only confirms the photos and firsthand accounts that I have been receiving. Those photos and personal, U.S. citizen accounts convey the plight of Palestinians under the occupation of Israel. I saw photos of relatively new Israeli tanks and bulldozers destroying ready-to-harvest Palestinian crops. There were photos and personal accounts of new, Israeli housing developments that were illegally built on Palestinian lands.

My initial concern spread into many questions. Where are those $15 million going that the U.S. government gives weekly to Israel? Are we funding tanks and bulldozers that literally drive people off their lands even as our own infrastructure is crumbling here at home? Are we facilitating the building of illegal housing while our own veterans are often homeless and without proper medical care here at home? Are we funding the violence that ultimately is an ethnic cleansing? If the answer to even one of those questions is yes, then this is not the America I believe in.

Diana C. Smith
Tomahawk