Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unclaimed $31.5 million
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter in the April 15 Tomahawk Leader:

Dear Friends:

I am very pleased to announce the state treasurer’s list of Wisconsin citizens and businesses who are owners of unclaimed property will be published in today’s issue (of the Tomahawk Leader). Thanks to the cooperation and compliance of Wisconsin businesses and many companies nationwide, 57,000 properties valued at over $31.5 million were reported to my office in 2007. The state treasurer is the custodian of the cash value of thousands of uncashed payroll checks, utility refunds, stocks, dividends and even safe deposit box contents just waiting for owners to claim.
I would like to encourage everyone to carefully review the listing in today’s newspaper, and determine if you or someone you know has unclaimed property. Unclaimed property not only belongs to private citizens but also many businesses, civic organizations, churches and municipalities.

If you are successful in locating your name in the listing, please call the Unclaimed Property toll-free number at 877-699-9211 with your name and property identification number and request a claim form. The Unclaimed Property department has extended telephone hours in April and May and will be available 24 hours a day. You may also request a claim form online at the State Treasury web site at http://www.ost.state.wi.us. This is a free service to all citizens.
In 2007 we broke the record for the most amount of money given back to Wisconsin citizens in one year. I am proud to announce my office returned over $24,750,000 of unclaimed property and 353,259 shares of stock to the Wisconsin citizens and businesses. Additionally, my office gave $50,000,000 to the Common School Fund in 2007 alone.

I hope that you will take a moment and search the list in today’s paper. Please let me know if you have any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,
Dawn Marie Sass
State Treasurer
Madison