Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter in the June 3 Tomahawk Leader:

To the Editor:

The price of motor fuel continues to climb and there is little we can do about it. Gas up and pay the price, stay home or walk. What happened to driving at a lower speed?

Sixty miles per hour on the Interstate versus 70 mph will increase our fuel efficiency by about 12 percent to 15 percent. But you say, someone else will pass me. Don’t I have to drive the posted speed? Generally yes and the posted speed is 45 to 65 mph. Gosh, I forgot to read that sign.

But, I am always late and this is the only way I can get to my destination on time. How about a little forethought and some planning. Besides, the faster you drive and have an accident, the greater your chance of becoming a fatality. Who me! I am going to live forever. Is that the reason the hearse goes so slowly on your last trip to the cemetery?

Why not make a list of things to do in town and put them all together in one trip? No way. My cell phone is instantaneous communication. I have access to any information at the stroke of a computer key. I never get lost due to my GPS unit. Why should I ever make any changes in my perfect, “On Demand Life”?
It is time for each of us to stand up and become part of the energy conservation in all areas of our life, not just driving. Our nation lacks a comprehensive energy policy. We are 5 percent of the world’s population and use 25 percent of the energy. We created the atomic bomb in four years and sent men to the moon in eight years. The atomic bomb was done on a nonpolitical basis, for our survival. We can become energy independent and escape our addiction to foreign nations dedicated to our destruction.

Change takes time and we don’t have that luxury. Don’t blame everyone else. This is our problem and we must own it. Forget about the refiners, foreign nations, Detroit automotive, your need for speed and focus on the challenges we face, and our outstanding abilities to innovate, create, develop and overcome.
Let’s get the attention of our politicians, governor, senators, congressmen and president. Possibly a good swift kick in the posterior is needed, now.

See you in the slow lane.

Tom Mooney
Tomahawk