Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Information pls
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:14 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: We used to come up and fish there several years ago
Jed, I'm looking for information concerning a guide that we used to go fishing with ALL the time and it seems we've lost touch over the years. He also wrote a column in the weekend section of the paper. I believe he also had a radio gig if I'm not mistaken. Would anyone know what Gene Siepp is doing these days or how he's doing?

Post subject: Re: Information pls
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:13 pm 

LadyCuJo,
I haven't talked with Gene for a few months, but the last time we spoke he was doing great. I actually did an article about his cousin around this time last year for a Memorial Day story. She was hired on as a pilot for a small branch of the United States Army and was killed while test flying a plane that I believe was being reintroduced into WWII. The group was disbanded shortly after the war, and the women who flew for the Army weren't recognized until I believe in the 70s. It was really fascinating information. In fact, Gene hadn't known about her or her death at the age of 21 until a fellow Legion member linked the two after extensive research. She had actually dropped a "P" from the end of her name and lived in Milwaukee while Gene grew up here in Tomahawk. A memorial stone recognizing the group of lady pilots has since been placed at Lincoln County Veteran's Memorial Park in Tomahawk.
Gene no longer guides, but he did offer to show me some of his favorite hot spots after I wrote the article! Talk about some great job benefits!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:41 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

That is a wonderful story. Speaking of wonderful stories, is there a way to access the Tomahawk Leaders' archives for some of Gene's stories? My husband and I were the "guests" he spoke of in many stories. One in particular, "the lazy fisherman". I DID have the actual paper around here, we were suscribers for many years. In fact I placed a few ads in the "personals" for my husband around Valentines day over the years. One of my Lake Mohawksin photographs was featured on the front page of the wkd section, just can't remember the year..LOL!! Thanks in advance for any more info you can provide ~

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:04 am 

LadyCuJo,
We don't have a way to access past articles on our website, but we do have copies of all past papers dating back to the 1970s here at the Tomahawk Leader. If you ever want to do some searching stop by the paper and I'll help you out.
I'd love to read the lazy fisherman story. Like birds of the feather, I'm sure I could relate to much of what the article concerns.
I was talking to a local guide yesterday and he was telling me how Gene helped him get started in the business. It's always interesting to see how one person can help shape so many others.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

mrbrowns wrote:
LadyCuJo,
We don't have a way to access past articles on our website, but we do have copies of all past papers dating back to the 1970s here at the Tomahawk Leader. If you ever want to do some searching stop by the paper and I'll help you out..

It's going to be a while before we get up there again...unfortunately. One half of us needs a hip replacement real badly and one of us is a manager at a very busy restaurant working 6 days a week.
mrbrowns wrote:
I'd love to read the lazy fisherman story. Like birds of the feather, I'm sure I could relate to much of what the article concerns..
I'm thinking between 92-95 would be the time that would have appeared in print. Although, if you speak to Gene again just ask him, he'll tell you. In case his memory needs a little help, it was about a guy (my husband) that took a nap while he was anchored under one of the train trussels there in town by the 'airport'. We'd caught a 44"r in that very same location 3 years prior on a "yellow furry thing" (yellow bucktail) only this time he was fishing a sucker w/a bobber the size of a life jacket. SO he kicked back took a nap while I continued to fish for crappies. We got ready to leave & journey the 5 hours home and we'd hooked that poor sucker at least half a dozen times. So he jerked and jerked and tried to get it to fall off but then that sucker got hit and hit hard!! The musky finally yielded in about 10 minutes. We got her boatside and into the net when we discovered that she was never hooked!! She had grabbed hold of that sucker and was NOT going to let go. That is why she's on our wall today, she is our only fish that was never hooked!!

mrbrowns wrote:
I was talking to a local guide yesterday and he was telling me how Gene helped him get started in the business. It's always interesting to see how one person can help shape so many others.

Gene has done ALOT of things for ALOT of folks. What he did for us we could never repay. He showed us how, where and what to use for every species of fish and made it fun. His stories..we have told time and time again to new fisher-folks like we were then. What he'd taught us, allowed us to actually survive an entire winter by just fishing. When you do see that wonderful man again, please tell him Mike and Chris Smith from Barrington, Illinois send our fondest regards, perhaps print this up for him as well to help jog his memory about us ~
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hey there everyone...We've finally put the wheels in motion to retire up in your fair city of Tomahawk or somewhere CLOSE to there. Hubby's up there right now for the fishing opener and couldn't wait to leave until yesterday so he left Monday night. He's going to be scouting places for us to first rent (or rent to own) and then when my job is finished here (6 wks) I will be joining him up there. I can't wait to get there really but first I'd like to thank whomever it was that contacted Gene for me. My hubby visited with him today for a few wonderful hours...hubby says it was like no time had passed as far as fishing goes, and he mentioned to him that someone (hubby couldn't remember the name Gene told him) had told Gene we talked about getting back in touch with him. Thank you to whoever that was, my hubby (Mike) and I both appreciate it ~
C.J.
P.S. Does anyone know of a good realtor/homefinder located there in town that can send me photo's of potential properties and/or homes? This is our first home purchase and we need handicapped accessible. Anyone know of a summer home that's for sale or rent? We'll need it until we get settled and purchase something...we have three cats, all of them have been to the "Bob Barker Resort" and declawed ~

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 pm 

Ladycujo,
I'm sorry I can't help you with your home or cabin rental search, but I would like to comment on your husband's reunion with Gene. Priceless.
I wish you and your family the best with the upcoming surgery, home purchase and eventual retirement to the Tomahawk area.
Oh yeah, and best of luck fishing this summer.