Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Living the dream
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:11 pm 

Jeff,
I am pretty fortunate to live on Lake Alice and enjoy the beauties the watershed provides on a daily basis. Fishing aside, the connection I get to have with nature and all its splendor is something I think is priceless.
Opening day is one week away and the good news is much of the ice is gone or will be soon on many area lakes. I took a drive this morning and the ice was completely gone on Half-Moon. Clear Lake still had ice, but it has pulled away from shore and looked very dark. Some strong wind and rains this weekend will most likely put an end to all ice in this part of the Northwoods.
Looks like a cold front is moving in this weekend, so I'll be slightly altering how I go about walleye fishing. During cold fronts and when the fish aren't active, I like to slow down a simple hook and sinker presentation. Often I'll just let the bait sit on the bottom and let lethargic fish find the bait. If this doesn't work the lawn is ready for its spring raking!
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:18 am 

Well, it's been cold and it looks like it will remain cold through opening weekend. Another cold front is expected to push through the state on Friday, so fishing conditions may remain cool in the days to follow.
Several of the clear, bigger inland lakes will most likely still have ice on them this weekend - the one I'll be fishing was 80 percent covered with ice last Sunday. Areas I'll be targeting include shallow rock beds and bars on the north and east sides of the lake, as this is where the warmer water will be if the sun helps out. Otherwise, I'll focus my attention on a wind blown shoreline - ice pending. Water temperature is crucial this time of year no matter what body of water your fishing, as walleyes spawn in water temperatures from 40 to 52 degrees Fahrenheit and the most active fish will be located in the warmer water.
The biggest challenge might be figuring out what stage of spawning the walleyes are in.
I'm expecting the walleyes in the lake I'll be fishing to be in spawn mode. On smaller or darker water lakes, walleyes may already be in post spawn. During this period, I like to target eyes on new weeds with slip bobbers and light jigs tipped with fatheads.
Major solunar/lunar periods this weekend include:
Sat. 9:36-11:36 a.m. / 10:01 p.m.-12:01 a.m.
Sun. 10:25-12:25 p.m./ 10:53 p.m.-12:53 a.m.
Well opening weekend is upon on us, and regardless of what mother nature brings, good luck to everyone heading out and enjoy your Northwoods opening weekend!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:46 am 

Opening weekend sure was a test of will with strong winds kicking up whitecaps Saturday through Monday. Whether it was the weather, gas prices or a combination of both, their was hardly another boat on the large, clear lake I chose to spend a few days on. Not that I mind having the entire lake to myself, but it was almost sad to see so few people out fishing. Hopefully things will pick up as the weather warms and the rebate checks hit the mail.
Anglers are reporting great fishing in the Tomahawk area. Walleyes, pike and panfish all are now active and should remain so until the cold front rolls into town on Mother's Day. That's Sunday for those of you like me who still need to stop by the flower and card shops. Big smallmouth are gearing up to spawn and can be caught in the same spots using the same jig and fathead technique many are using for walleyes. Remember if you specifically target smallies this time of the year it is catch and release and barbless hook only.
It shouldn't be much longer and the crappies will be moving into shallower water in preparation of spawning. Blooming lilacs have always been a prognosticator for when to go after these tasty fish.
If it hasn't already happened, the walleye run on the Wisconsin River should be coming to a close in the near future. Walleyes take a few days off from feeding after the spawn, but once this period is over, they put back on the feed bags and the great fishing picks back up again.
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 pm 

From the walleyes and crappies to the smallmouths and pike, fishing has been fantastic in the Tomahawk area and should continue to be so for some time now.
Excellent walleye catches are being reported on the Wisconsin River from State Hwy. 107 to Lake Alice. The eyes have their post-spawn feedbags on and are being caught on the same jig or simple hook tipped with a fathead rig that is used during the spawn. This method also has been producing slab crappies as they become active before spawn.
I've been using a 1/16-ounce Glo-jig in deeper water (off rocks) to catch both walleyes and crappies. Where the current prevents me from getting a good read on the bottom, I simply hook on a sinker and drag/slow jig the rig across the bottom. I'll rig another pole with a hook and sinker and let that sit off the side of the boat (use wire hooks that can pull free of snags. It saves time and money in the long run). It's a pretty simple style of fishing that has really produced over the past week.
If they haven't already, crappies should be moving into the shallows to spawn. To find these fish look for wood structure in water depths ranging from a couple feet to around six feet of water.
Smallmouth action is picking up where warmer water is and, if not already, should be spawning very soon. Find shallow rocks, areas where the walleyes spawned, and you'll find these fish feeding. Remember it's catch and release and barbless season only.
Pike also are feeding in the shallows where new weed growth is. Find a shallow muddy bay or a weedy point and you can catch these fish.
This is one of those periods of the year, when no matter what the weather conditions are, you most likely will be able to find some species of active fish. Think shallow water first, but depending on the time of day and conditions, don't hesitate to fish deeper water.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:17 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Built new house in 2008 and currently living here full time.
Stumbled on this site so I will try to keep all readers informed of my fishing misadventures. I seem to have a lot of stories af those that "got away". I live in TN at this time and have owned property in the Tomahawk area since 1974 currently on the WI river below the Mill Dam. We are planning on building this summer as I plan on retireing up there. (already retired, just waiting on my wife to get old like me) Looking forward reading great stories. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 am 

Great to have you aboard Patriarch5, and congratulations in advance on your move to Tomahawk!
Cooler temperatures this past week kept the crappies in deeper water (8-12 feet). Last night, the air temps warmed and the fish moved in shallower (2-3 feet). I suspect the fish will be back deep if the air temps cool this weekend. Catching them has been pretty basic stuff. Just a jig or hook and sinker combo tipped with a fathead. It shouldn't be much longer before the crappies move in on shallower structure in preparation to spawn.
The walleyes have had their post-spawn feed bags on lately, and even a cold front that moved through earlier in the week didn't slow them down.
If you haven't already heard, the early barbless hook musky season expected to begin next spring has been lifted. Rep. Dan Meyer said he'll be introducing a bill to rescind the one he previously had put in the 2007 state budget. To anyone who says the DNR Spring Hearings don't matter, your vote doesn't matter, or that politicians don't listen to the voters, Meyer's decision was directly to tied to what the voters voted for at this year's Spring Hearing. It's great to see the public, DNR and a politician come together with the interest of protecting one of our most precious Northwoods resources in mind!
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:23 pm 

Look for the crappies to move into the shallows this week and Memorial Day weekend as they relate to warmer forecasted weather. Actually, I've been having really good success catching these fish in deeper water on the Wisconsin River after each cold front moves through. Mixed in with plenty of walleyes, the fish I've been catching are relating to rock structure (8 to 12 feet) and have been moving in on the few and far between warmer days. A simple red hook tipped with a fathead and dragged on the bottom has worked best.
Also, fished a clear lake this past weekend and the small mouths were very aggressive in the shallows. I didn't see any spawning beds, actually I didn't look, but the bass should be getting pretty close. Remember it's still the barbless catch and release season.
Only four days until the 2008 musky season gets underway! I'm thinking mud/weed bays where ample wood structure is found will be a good place to CPR (catch-photo-release) that first esox of the season. If you plan on throwing bucktails this time of the year remember to use one that has a shiny spinner blade as this more often triggers hits earlier in the year. Weedless plastics might also come in handy as the fish may be very shallow - I saw what looked to be a floating log, but turned out to have fins, disappear from only a foot or two of water on a warm day last week.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and Memorial Day weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:20 am 

While I have yet to boat my first musky of the 2008 season, others are having much more luck on Tomahawk area waters. The board at Chuck's Bait Shop shows some decent fish being caught in the mid-40 inch range. Hopefully by Monday I'll have a musky story and some advice to share.
Many anglers were focussing on the shallows over the Memorial Day weekend for spawning bluegills, and I imagine many of them had some pretty decent luck. Thursday night I was shining a flashlight off my dock and saw bluegills all over in as little as six inches of water on gravel. Anglers have also been using barbless hooks for the catch and release smallmouth bass season. They also are on their beds now.
Crappies should also be spawning, or be on the verge. I suspect last night's rain will really trigger some action this weekend for crappies, and hopefully muskies, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:02 pm 

After two days of catching several accidental pike, bass and walleyes, my friend and I were able to put two musky in the boat Sunday afternoon. Not the biggest, but getting off the snide early in the season can do wonders for a guy's psyche.
After throwing many different presentations across every perceivable reef, rock hump, stump field and weed bed on a stretch of the Wisconsin River, I was able to connect with the fish using a large chartreuse rapala (small for musky standards) on figure eights next to the boat. Neither of the fish was visible approaching, so working the bait deep on the figure eight was key, I believe. Both fish were caught in off new weeds in around six feet of water. By ripping and pausing the rapala, I was also able to draw another strike and had a nice sized fish show interest. Not too bad for a couple hours of fishing on a nice early summer day.
The fish really seemed to be reacting to the warm weather and the musky fishing should only continue to get better as the water warms!
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:10 pm 

Last night I saw something that I know is puzzling more musky hunters out there than just myself.

As I was heading back to my dock after a couple hours of fishing, I came across what looked to be a small bird or muskrat's head poking out of the water. Curious, I slowed down as I approached to get a better look. As I got closer I could tell it wasn't a bird or mammal, but instead, that it was indeed some kind of fish. My next thought was that it likely was a dying fish, but as I pulled within about 20 feet, I could see it was swinging its head back and forth (like a snake swimming in the water) with its mouth open. Then, I saw the musky turn on its side, revealing a light-greenish body, and disappear into deeper water.

I've spoken with musky hunters before who've told me they've seen muskies do this. One suggestion was that muskies will swim with their heads out of the water as a way to use gravity to help digest something they've eaten that is too big. The suggestion makes sense to me, but I'm also curious if anyone else has any possible answers as to why muskies might do this.

On a side note, look for fishing action to increase into this weekend as the water warms back up after a couple of cool days here in the Northwoods. Good luck to everyone heading out and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:32 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Well, just returned from almost 2 weeks fishing, house planning and fighting wind & rain. Happy to say our group caught plenty of fish, walleyes,(none over 15") pike, crappie, (lots of keepers) bass, (all let go) and about every other type of fish in the WI River including bullheads on jigs & minnows. That was kind of strange. Although the weather pretty much sucked, much fun was had. Forgot to mention, plenty of bottle bass, all keepers! Good luck to all who plan on heading to the great north in the near weeks. Patriarch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:54 pm 

The Wisconsin River impoundments in the Tomahawk area are some of the nation's best musky fishing waters, as Ric Diehl, Round Lake, Ill., proves here with this 53-inch esox he boated on Saturday. Unfortunately, Diehl said the fish expired after the battle. It does go to show muskies put their feedbags on when warm air temps heat the water. What a start to the season!
Attachment:
13-NAT-HUGE Musky copy.jpg
13-NAT-HUGE Musky copy.jpg [ 60.18 KiB | Viewed 2603 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:32 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Do folks know that by the time they practice catch & release on a Smallmouth caught while it's on its nest, two bluegills can eat the entire egg mass the Smallmouth is protecting? How's that for "conserving" the resource?? The DNR's "Catch & Release Season" for Smallmouths makes NO SENSE AT ALL!

I love to fish. But I refuse to fish for any species while they're trying to reproduce. I have the rest of the fishing season to try to catch them.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Jeff, I understand your position on not fishing for fish that are on there beds but the problem is that in fishing for walleyes or crappies, smallies go for the same baits at the same time. We never try to catch smallies but can't control what bites on our baits while fishing for other types of fish. The only way smallies would not be caught is by all of us not fishing at all until they are off there beds which will probably never happen. Best we can do is release these fish as soon as possible, unhurt, and hope they get back to the nest. Patriarch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Incidental catches will always happen. I was referring to targeting fish on their spawning beds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:21 am 

I've read taking smallies off their spawning beds also is a problem during tournaments on Lake Michigan. Seems gobbies (I believe) move in and can nearly destroy the beds before the bass can return after being released. I'd be curious to see if any studies are being done on this, and if so, whether better practices based on those studies could be implemented here in the Northwoods to help protect the smallie population.
Many consider smallies a sport fish, not something you'd take home to eat, so it seems it would be in everyones' best interests to help protect and grow their numbers. The objective shouldn't be to increase Northwoods tourism dollars by jeopardizing a fragile resource.

The same pretty much holds true for new regulations that may be implemented to help protect the Lake Alice walleye fishery. The proposal is to close the season like all other inland lakes during the spring spawning period. There's little doubt this will only improve the overall numbers of fish, but after fishing walleyes on Lake Alice the past few years, I think a lack of fish is hardly the problem.
I've spoken with fellow Lake Alice Association members who said they would have been in favor of slot limits instead of all together closing down the spring fishing season. I've also spoken with anglers down by Stevens Point who have said the slot limits placed on the Wisconsin River impoundments there some five years ago have greatly increased the number of large fish they've been catching. Plus, if the stretch of Wisconsin River from Rhinelander to Lake Alice (Lake Mohawksin also had a question in the Conservation Congress questionnaire to end the early walleye season) is closed down, then stretches of the river between Mohawksin and Lake Alexander will see immense fishing pressure in the future - not to mention the confusion this will cause anglers.
It would seem in everyones' best interest (tourism dollars included) to keep the Wisconsin River open for year round for walleye fishing, but to also protect the larger female spawners by implementing slot limits.

On a side note. It looks like cool air temps are again expected here in the Northwoods for this weekend, so the gills won't be up in the shallows. I've been using these gills as a prognosticator for when the best time to fish muskies is, since this is when I've caught and moved nearly all my fish. Looks like it might be a good weekend to go help dad with some lawn work. Happy Fahter's Day to all, and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Round Gobies are definitely the problem in the Sturgeon Bay area of Green Bay. That's all my son & I caught while fishing my favorite Smally place in Door County just north of Sturgeon Bay. It was depressing. Recent studies claim that the goby population will be slightly controlled as the predator species get used to a new food source.

Ballast water BS strikes again. Round gobies, white perch, spiny zooplankton, & others are a blight on our Great lakes resource. Federal laws requiring treatment of ballast water discharged by ocean-going ships could have prevented a lot of exotics now present in the Great Lakes. Steam or chlorine treatment of ballast waters would have killed the invaders.

Slot limits make so much sense!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am 

And now guagga mussels are eating the zebra mussels on Lake Michigan. These tiny buggers are suppose to be even more destructive as they can grow virtually anywhere and feed year round. With some 75 inland lakes already infested with zebra mussels, it is logical to expect this new invasive species to also spread across the state in the coming years. The only way the spread of guagga mussels, VHS and other non-natives species will be prevented is if boaters - not just anglers - make a committed effort to cleaning boats and equipment before moving from lake to lake and following DNR rules.
On that note, the Lincoln County Lakes and Rivers Association (LCLRA) will be hosting separate training sessions this month concerning monitoring aquatic invasive species (AIS) and preventing the spread of aquatic non-natives.
The first will take place tomorrow (June 18) at the Bradley Town Hall, 1518 W. Mohawk Dr., from 6 to 8 p.m. Bill Klase, Headwaters Basin Educator for natural resources University of Wisconsin, will provide training at the AIS monitoring workshop, which he indicated is directly geared toward individuals who want to monitor their individual lakes for AIS.
The second workshop will provide training for the statewide Clean Boats, Clean Waters program on June 25 (Wednesday) from 5 to 8 p.m. at Bradley Town Hall. This program is geared toward training volunteers how to watch over boat landings and what to look for to assure AIS isn't spread into the individual lake they are watching over.
For more information or to register for either of the workshops, contact Diane Hanson, Lincoln County Land Information and Conservation Department conservationist, at 715-536-0363.
The Wisconsin Association of Lakes (WAL) also will be hosting a Lake Management Planning program at the Nicolet College, Lake Julia Campus in Rhinelander, on
June 26. Along with Lincoln and Oneida County Lakes and Rivers Associations, several other countywide lake districts will be on hand to provide information and assistance to individuals who would like to form their own lake associations or districts. Forming a lake organization is the first necessary step in creating individual lake management plans and receiving future DNR grants to control the spread of AIS. Of Lincoln County's 700 lakes, 12 currently are represented by lake associations or districts.
For more information or to register, go to www.wisconsinlakes.org/Events/08lake_planning.htm or call 800-542-5253.
The committed group of volunteers working to protect our Northwoods waters encourages everyone with an oar in the water to get involved. Each person can make a difference and together we can help keep our waters free of AIS in the future!
One quick fishing note. It's a great time to take a child fishing as the gills and other panfish are in the shallows. A bobber and worm is all that is needed to have a fun day on the water. Musky fishing was slow this past week but a full moon and warming air and water temps should make conditions much better.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:30 am 

I've brought it up before, but it warrants repeating when you can catch dozens of walleyes in the middle of the day without a boat. Fishing below dams in the Tomahawk area is fast, easy to do and can often be very rewarding.
Such was the case this past weekend. After limited success fishing walleye and perch in a clear lake in Forest County, my uncle, father and I were able to catch many walleye and smallmouth below Kings Dam on Sunday. Not only was it nice to get the relatives in on some of the fast action the Wisconsin River can provide, but it also was nice to be able to jump in the truck when the brief deluges passed through. My uncle caught fish using a fathead and slip bobber rig, while my father and I opted for a basic sinker and red hook tipped with a fathead. And while we chose to fish below the dam to avoid the heavy rain showers that would have soaked us in the boat, I would recommend to beginners or experienced anglers to give dam fishing a try. We didn't catch any big walleyes on Sunday, but over the past years I've caught and released some very nice sized eyes below area dams. Personally after having limited success fishing musky these past few weeks, I also found it quite enjoyable to actually catch some fish.
Looks like fishing overall might be gangbusters here in the next few days and weeks. Along with the forecasted warmer days producing an unstable climate, the p.m. major fishing periods are aligning with sunset. Tonight's peek period runs from 4:27 - 6:27 p.m. Tomorrow it begins at 5:15 p.m. and by Friday the peek p.m. feeding period begins at 6:49 p.m. A new moon will arrive July 3 (I read somewhere a majority of trophy fish have been caught around new moons), so the next few weeks should provide spectacular fishing opportunities.
As the air and water temps continue to rise, I'll be switching over to larger bull dawgs and topwaters for muskies. Ripping bucktails also should start to produce as the fish really begin to warm up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:12 pm 

Even the cool air temps couldn't slow down the musky bite this past weekend on the Wisconsin River in Tomahawk, and with a new moon phase quickly approaching (plus storms forecasted for Wednesday) musky fishing will likely explode in the coming days.
A special thanks goes out to Gregg Zipp of Zippy's Guide Service for showing my out-of-town friend a great day on the water while I was at work Friday. I had to use some pretty strong will power when my friend called at noon to let me know (actually it was more like rubbing it in) that they had already moved five fish. I wasn't there to see it, but according to my buddy, Zipp already has a good lock on where several very big toothies are this year. Thanks again Zipp!
Saturday the musky fishing really started to heat up after some strong storms rolled through Friday night - around 2.5 inches fell in the town of King. A small storm passed over while we were out fishing Saturday afternoon and the fish instantly turned on. On one particular drift off a patch of cabbage weeds, my friend landed two mid-30 inch fish within an hour. Later that evening, I landed a mid-30 inch fish on a jerk bert in some shallower water off lillie pads. Using a top raider my buddy missed a 40+ that trailed and hit next to the boat. I also lost what felt like a nice sized musky on the bert.
Although we had to finish up before the peek fishing period began Sunday, I was able to boat a smaller musky and also lost a nicer sized fish at the end of the day. With the aggressive fish and the cloud cover from the passing storms, it truly was a wonderful weekend on the water.
Musky fishing should remain hot heading into this July 4 weekend, and other species should begin to rebound after the big mayfly (hex) hatch that occurred earlier last week.
I'll make sure to post another update before the big holiday weekend. Until then, good luck and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:07 pm 

A quick update for all anglers fishing in the Tomahawk area this Fourth of July holiday weekend.
I was a bit surprised to catch walleyes while going after some fish surfacing in the shallows on the Wisconsin River last night. They were hitting a weighted plastic crayfish I was casting for what I thought were smallmouth bass. In the past I've mistakenly caught these walleyes while musky fishing weeds and lillie pads in as little as two feet of water. Don't overlook these evening walleyes as they are aggressive and, from what I've experienced, quite large.
The hex hatch appears to be behind us, and I'm still seeing bluegills up in the shallows. These fish, along with perch and some crappies, can be easily caught using a slip bobber and crawler piece.
The trigger for aggressive musky action has been fishing the fronts that move through. Unstable weather has meant heavy feeding periods, while stable conditions have left fish nipping at the lure. When active, the fish have been feeding on everything from topwaters and jerkbaits to bucktails and slop masters. If forecasted conditions hold, Sunday may be ideal as the last I saw storms were expected to move through.
Happy Fourth of July to all anglers, vets and those currently serving in our military. Let's not forget this holiday weekend why we are able enjoy our Northwoods water time. Good luck and God bless!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:35 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. :lol: :lol:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 am 

Tip: When ice fishing with friends make sure to take along the cheapest beer you can. That way you're assured a long day of fishing with far fewer distractions!
Well we couldn't have asked for much better weather over the Fourth of July holiday weekend and the boat traffic on many area waters was quite prevalent as a result. This restricted many anglers to fishing the dawn and dusk hours while giving up the waters in the afternoon to recreational users.
The clear inland lake I fished with friends over the weekend produced many nice sized perch in the 10 feet of water range - just off of deeper milfoil beds. We first tried with ice-fishing jigs but soon realized the fish instead preferred a red hook dabbed with a piece of night crawler. After talking with others who didn't have as much success fishing perch on the same lake over the weekend, it served to reiterate the fact you need to find what the fish are feeding on and move around until you find active fish.
This time of the year, I start switching over to using leeches for walleyes on a slip bobber rig, and if need be, I'll start using mayfly larvae for perch.
And now with a couple tasty meals of perch fillets in the freezer, I now can get back to musky fishing.
Good luck to everyone fishing the Tomahawk area this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 pm 

Just a quick heads up to all anglers who will be heading out in the Tomahawk area this weekend.
Peak lunar p.m. fishing periods are again aligning with nightfall, so make sure to get out and hit tonight's evening feed. It should be dynamite as storms are expected to pass through with a cold front that is approaching, and the major is set to run from 6:50 p.m. till 8:50 p.m.
Things might quite down over Saturday and Sunday as it usually takes a couple days for fish to get active after cold fronts. However, if we do get storms on Sunday, it should make for some improving conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:44 pm 

Fishing another cold-front weekend proved tricky as the fish really had to be finessed and the presentation had to be slowed down to trigger the walleye bite. After two nights of fishing the Wisconsin River system in the Tomahawk area, a friend and I were able to catch walleyes in deeper water (14 to 16 feet) using jigs along with red hooks and sinkers tipped with leeches and fatheads. While it was a little frustrating to miss so many fish as they nipped at the bait, it was equalized Sunday night when the sun dabbed the western sky line with hues of red, the wind died down and the loons began to call. Taking the entire package into account, I can't imagine a much better way to draw the weekend to a close. As the local saying goes, it certainly was one of those evenings we put up with nine months of winter for.
Musky fishing this past weekend produced one hit Friday night on a top raider, which because I wasn't paying attention, turned into the third or fourth fish I've missed on a top water this year. As friends have explained to me over and over again this summer about fishing top waters, you don't set the hook until you feel the weight on the other end of the line. Trust me if you've never experienced this, but its much like playing chicken with an oncoming freight train. Not flinching is a lot easier said than done.
With the cold front now behind us, fishing will pick up this week and forecasted storms in the coming nights could prove to be the trigger.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next