Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Living the dream
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:20 am 

There may be some great musky fishing here in the Tomahawk area this Friday as a storm is expected to pass through in the evening and the peek lunar feeding period runs from 5:36 p.m. to 7:36 p.m. Be careful if heading out as some of the storms could be severe. I'll be looking to cover as much big-musky water as possible in search of active fish. Baits of choice this time of the year are top waters and larger lures. For the first time Friday, I'll be casting the bulldawg known as the pounder, which is 18 ounces of shoulder-tearing plastic. I've spoken with some musky hunters who say the pounder is the only lure they'll throw. If I'm able to use the keyboard on Monday, I'll report back on how it works.

While it is always nice to get back to musky fishing, I did have a blast catching cutthroat on the fly rod on the Lochsa River in Idaho over the past week. The biggest of these bright-colored battle warriors I was able to net was a respectable 15-incher. The water on the Lochsa is so clear you could see the fish coming up off the bottom, which made for several misses. It reminded me of waiting on a musky to take a top water, which I've previously mentioned is easier said than done (wait for the weight). Others in our party landed some nicer fish and my brother was able to catch and release a 17-inch beauty.

Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend. Be safe and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I remember back in the 80`s the big lure around Tomahawk was the "TALLYWACKER"! :P You`d get tired casting that all evening! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Mrbrowns,
How did tossing a plastic boat anchor work out for the Muskies?

Any reports from Lake Alice?

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:13 am 

Thanks for reminding me Jeff. The pounder bulldawg should probably be left to the younger guys. I got about 15 casts in before I felt like I needed to go looking for spare parts for my elbow. I might try it again in the fall, but for now, I think I'm going to stick with the smaller bulldawgs and other lures.
Another beautiful weekend on the Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area and another nice musky. My buddy had me jumping for the net when he hooked into a 43-inch fish Sunday afternoon. We were fishing the minor at 1 p.m. when the fish hit his top raider off a weedy point. After a couple minute fight and a nice head shake boat side, we were able to photo and release the fish.
Other opportunities also presented themselves fishing the evening majors. With a front passing through Friday night, I had a 40+ hit boat side before shaking the lure. This again happened Saturday evening when another nice fish off a weedy point also shook the lure before I could set the hook. I didn't see either of the fish, and each hit the lure as I was preparing to go into a figure eight. There just isn't much you can do when the fish hits and the lure goes flying over the other side of the boat. My friend also had another very impressive-size fish follow up, nip and disappear Saturday evening.
The good news is the big fish seem to be getting active. We also caught some nice small and large mouth bass and pike while fishing in the weeds. Let's hope things just continue to heat up as the summer progresses.
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm 

You should have been here yesterday. As anglers, we've all heard and shared this bad omen with friends and fellow anglers who just missed out on some of the best fishing of the season. The saying is usually backed up by pictures, a fish fry and often a few days of less than desirable fishing conditions.
Even though I live on prime musky water in Tomahawk, I too fell victim of this horrid phrase this past weekend as reports of phenomenal musky fishing began to trickle into the office yesterday. One local guide reported 200 inches of muskies in a 20-hour period. Another angler told me about how he caught the biggest musky of his life after it hit a panfish he was bringing in. And I can hardly bare the thought of reading Julio's Fishing Report when it is posted on our website later this week, since I'm almost sure he also took advantage of the front that passed through Sunday afternoon.
In venting, my past week of musky fishing was uneventful as Monday through Thursday I fished under bluebird skies. Over the weekend (in believing the weather pattern wasn't going to change) I fished panfish on a Forest County recreational lake, and last night (Monday) the bright blue skies and slow fishing returned. I completely missed the window of opportunity as a flat weather pattern was broken and the fish were triggered.
On a positive note, we are heading into prime musky fishing season, so action should pick up as the muskies put on their feedbags. And for a musky angler with a bruised psyche, I can't begin to explain how important it is to remain positive when you missed the boat on what was one of the best musky fishing weekends to date this summer.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:15 am 

Fishing cooled off a bit yesterday after a cold front pushed through Tomahawk Wednesday night. The Rico clan up visiting from Lakewood had a tough go at it trying a couple area lakes. We were able to end the day with some success as we found feeding walleyes and some nice sized smallmouths below Kings Dam. I suspect things should pick up today and into the weekend as it usually takes a couple days to recover after a cold front.
We caught many of our fish using the same simple sinker and red hook tipped with a fathead rig that I have previously mentioned. We also caught some fish using floating jig heads and a few bass were caught using tubes. While we were only using minnows, a couple of guys fishing close by also were catching walleyes and some panfish using worms and leeches.
All in all, I suspect it will be another fine weekend of fishing here in the Tomahawk area as temps are expected to be in the mid-70s and the action should again start to pickup.
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:35 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Same question as last year:

Any tips for fishing Lake Alice? Hot baits? Locations you're willing to share with a couple of tourists?

My son & I will be using a cottage on Pine Shore Lane as "home base". Although the boat supplied with the cottage has a motor, we prefer rowing or a canoe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:21 pm 

Jeff,
Send me your email address at jbuelow@tomahawkleader.com so I can get you information on some great fishing areas near Pine Shore Lane. Just let me know what you plan on fishing for and when you'll be in Tomahawk.
I'd probably get run out of town by my guide friends if I posted specific spots on here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 am 

If this weekend follows suit with how musky fishing has been this week, then there likely will be some very happy anglers in the Tomahawk area come Sunday. I missed multiple opportunities to boat fish with the last being a beast I briefly hooked last night. Another from Tuesday hit the suick I was casting multiple times before I finally lipped it for a brief moment. The suick has been a pretty hot bait for me, and how I've been going about it is I'm using a darker lure during sunny periods and a brighter lure during overcast and evening hours.
A suick junky I know told me a while back to consistently catch fish on them you need to add rings to where the hooks and bait connect. Another told me you need to remove the middle hook and swap out the two remaining hooks with larger trebles. After having what should have been a four fish week, I'm now going to follow their advice.
This weekend is setting up to be a gangbuster in Tomahawk. We've entered the active period before the full moon occurs Sunday and the warmer temps expected should keep the fish active. I'll be focussing in on the majors and minors and hitting the water hard before dark.
Happy hunting to everyone taking part in the Mohawksin Musky Masters' Ronald McDonald tournament this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

After a multitude of not so successful attempts at increasing my musky hook-up rate with suicks, by tweaking them slightly, I have concluded the best option I have found is to spend the money and buy a short rod.
How I've come to this conclusion has been through trial and error, bloodied thumb nails and sadly enough eight lost muskies over the past week and a half.
The Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area has been a hot bed for musky action as of late, and after missing a few on the suick, I decided to focus in on making it my main go to bait for this time of the year - I know it sounds stupid but they've been working really good. Not being a suick user prior, I have gained much valuable advice from fellow musky hunters along the way. One tip was to add additional rings to where the hook joins the lure - this gave me bloody thumbnails. Another bit of advice was to remove the middle hook and replace the remaining two with the larger #5 sized hooks - this also made my thumbnails bleed. I didn't try adding a leader and trailer hook to the lure, as I figured this would likely result in multiple bloody body parts, but this was an additional bit of info I further received. Another angler told me I needed to get a short (6 to 6 1/2 foot) stout rod, but frankly being cheap, I decided to forgo spending the money until all other options failed.
After two misses on Friday, I borrowed a friend's shorter rod on Saturday and was able to hook and land a smaller musky and lost another 40+ at the boat. The rod I was borrowed wasn't quite as stout as I had hoped, but after missing multiple fish, I was just happy to have had a nice hook up.
I already knew a shorter rod was recommended for jerk baits, but I just never knew how important it was. I do now. I also learned there's such a tool as the split ring pliers. Hopefully moving forward I'll have more success hooking muskies with suicks and fewer bloody thumbnails to boot.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:42 pm 

As the season quickly turns here in the Northwoods, I look forward to sharing with you my adventures in chasing down the next esox in the Tomahawk area. I wrote the attached article for our North Country Style section of the Tomahawk Leader, and I'm posting it here for all of you who might not have been able to read it. I hope it may hold something to learn:

Make time for fall muskies...
Over the next three months, musky waters throughout the Tomahawk area will become ferocious feeding grounds as fish start packing on massive pounds in preparation for winter hibernation.
Gains of 10 and even 20 or more pounds over this short time span means a lot of feeding needs to take place at a pretty rapid pace.
Fish that were selective feeders throughout the summer months will begin attacking, and fish that were holding tightly to specific structures will begin moving farther for what looks like an easy meal.
For musky hunters, fall marks the beginning of prime fishing and a closing window of opportunity. And for those who are able to put aside thoughts of chasing other active fish species and whitetail in the woods, the reward often is the catch of a lifetime.
Muskies reach peak feeding activity when water temperature drops to about 60 degrees, typically around mid- to late-September. As fish react to this internal alarm clock known as the fall turnover, they begin working to put on the weight that will carry them over until the spring thaw occurs. During this time, muskies will return to prowl shallow haunts along weed lines, wood structure and points that they moved off of during summer.
Fish will move into the shallows to follow prey and become even more active during periods when the temperatures rise above average after the fall turnover has occurred. Muskies also will move to deeper weed brakes and become lethargic following cold fronts, at which time a slowed down presentation works to trigger hits. Later in the season, a slow and deeper run presentation also can work to catch fish along the newly-formed ice line on area flowages, as it can mark where the channel and shallower weedy waters meet.
Weather changes, a new moon and moon patterns continue to play a critical role in the fall, and when conditions align, the trigger can result in multiple fish days and even multiple fish hours. Some refer to this explosion of musky action as a “wolf pack” mentality, where every fish is feeding and seemingly reacting to the splash of the bait. This type of activity can be triggered by a major or minor moon phase or as little as a passing cloud on a sunny day.
Many musky anglers prefer to go big with baits in the fall to match the growing baitfish muskies have been feeding on throughout the summer. These lures can include larger suicks, the cowgirl made by Musky Mayhem Bucktails and Musky Innovations’ bulldawg.
A key to remember is big muskies will always expend the least amount of energy to feed, and particularly in fall, big baits will mean big fish.
As with musky fishing any time of the year, confidence is the greatest tool any musky hunter has at their disposal. And by pounding the water this fall, each musky angler will be able to look back on this season as one of great and memorable success.

I would really like to spend more time discussing fall musky fishing, but as poet William Wordsworth put it: The eye - it cannot choose but see; we cannot bid the ear be still; our bodies feel, where'er they be, against or with our will.
Time to go medicate my musky fever. Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:48 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Great post. I wish I could get up to Lake Alice before it freezes over!

With both kids in college next year, we're talking about coming up for a week next October.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 am 

Jeff, I'll keep you posted on how the fishing on Lake Alice and the Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area is going until you can return. Being a Pointer alumni, I know of several great walleye and catfish holes in the Stevens Point area that I can direct you and your son to, although I'm sure he already has plenty of his own.
Musky fishing has really turned on here now that the cool temps have arrived. The Mohawksin Musky Master tournament produced several nice fish on Saturday, with the biggest I heard of being a 44 1/2 incher. While I didn't take part in the tournament, I did catch, photo and release my own 44 incher on a suick Friday afternoon. The fish was sitting in about six feet of water off a shallow point when it hit. The pursuing battle was intense, as I had lost my last eight fish on the suick, and the area where I had hooked the fish was filled with stumps. After about five heart pounding minutes I was able to strong arm the fish into the net. That musky was followed up by 30+ incher Saturday evening. Musky fishing will only continue to get better in the weeks and months to come before freeze up.
The walleyes and bluegills I was targeting also appear to have reacted nicely to the cooler temps. Both have been feeding on leeches, and the bluegills can be found just about anywhere where weeds are still green.
Good luck to everyone heading out this Fall Ride weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Pointer Alum here too. I was able to share several smallmouth & trout hot spots within bicycle distance of campus which have done well for him. But I never fished the Wisconsin, so any tips you care to share for walleyes & cats would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the 44 incher!

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:50 am 

Jeff, I hope the spots I mentioned in Point pay off. I know they kept me off the square in the downtown and on the water many days while in college. Although, I also spent my fare share of time patronizing the local pubs, too!
Good talking with you ParroLocca while you were in town for the Fall Ride. I hope you got into some nice smallies with the fly rod, enjoyed the beautiful Northwoods and had safe travels home. I look forward to talking with you again when you make your pilgramage next September.
Last night again provided some heart pounding moments here on the Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area. What appeared to be a nice-sized musky missed the suick I was casting over some stumps multiple times. The event in itself isn't much to write about, but the amount of water this fish moved has me guessing it had a lot of weight to back up its wake. Those ripples drifted through my body and now reside in my being as a musky hunter. As I often tell my musky fishing friends, it's always nice to be invited to the prom, even if you don't get asked to dance.
My near hook-up reminds me of conversation a bartender and I had recently about a distraught angler and a fish he saw on the Wisconsin River. As she explained, the musky hunter, who has been fishing the area for the past 50 years, brought up a fish that made him actually put down his rod and stop fishing. The man told her he shook as he saw what appeared to be a fish well over the five-foot descend after allirgating near his boat. I never got to personally speak with the man, but if the story holds water, this turlly would be a life chainging fish!
For those who don't musky fish and might not understand the obsession some have, I can only say it can often be one of the most humbling lifestyles there is. One day you're clipping along thinking you have things figured out, then you miss an esox and your whole perspective changes. What a sport!
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:21 pm 

It might not have felt like it over this past weekend, but signs that fall is upon us here in the Tomahawk area are beginning to emerge.
A lot of vegetation was floating down the Wisconsin River yesterday morning, which is a good indicator the fall turnover is now underway. Warmer temps forecasted for this week should prolong the change, but eventually the cool nights will prevail.
The forests also have begun to turn, and not that anyone ever needs an excuse to take a boat ride on Lake Alice, Mohawksin, the Willow Flowage or Nokomis, but if you have the opportunity, now is beautiful to do so. With green pines making a nice backdrop, the explosive fall colors now starting to appear are quite spectaular. The best part is the view will only continue to get better in the weeks to come.
Additional signs that fall is surely at our doorstep are musky suckers are now available at local bait shops, and my garden, which suffered a massive freeze off two weeks ago, appears to be an official total loss. Hopefully this winter I'll be able to catch a few meals of panfish to barter friends and family vegetables and venison for. Not that negotiations are necessary, but I've noticed a mess of crappie or perch fillets are never turned down when offered. Either are homegrown vegetables or freshly harvested deer meat.
Musky fishing with a friend this past weekend proved to be a humbling experience. We spent around 20 hours on the water and never moved a single fish, which is partly why I'm sharing my failed attempts at gardening. We tried a multitude of lures at multiple depths to no avail. The good news is any time spent with friends on the water is always time well spent. Plus, the muskies have to feed sometime, and I'm heading out tonight.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Been out lately? Now that the temperatures are dropping, it's Crappie time on the Wolf River.

While working a paper mill trial yesterday, a member of the crew who developed a new type of Tip up that involves using a regular spinning reel & a short rod mentioned that his best bait for big northern pike under the ice was a live crappie. He cuts off the dorsal fin & then hooks the crappie in the middle of its back.

Eat the big ones, save a few little ones for bait?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 am 

Just a reminder. If you're going to use panfish for bait remember they must be counted as part of your daily bag limit, which is 25 on most inland lakes. I never really use panfish for bait, but when I have run out of minnows and tried small perch or bluegills, I've always noticed that they don't work nearly as well. However, I haven't tried a crappie, so I wouldn't know how they work. Typically I can hardly catch enough of the slabs to feed myself, let alone some big toothies.
While others have been having some very good success on the Wisconsin River here in the Tomahawk area, I saw photos of a guy who said he got 48 & 49 inchers within an hour of each other on Saturday, I haven't been nearly so fortunate. In fact, the only thing I've been able to catch lately was a stomach flu that was going around. The last time I did get out though I was lucky enough to see a pretty decent-sized black bear swim across the river. It was a true Northwoods experience.
Not to be discouraged, the air temps are dropping and a full and new moon are set to take place later this month. It's only a matter of time before that next musky is on the line.
Jeff, if you could tell me more about those specialty pike tip-ups (pole set-ups) I'd appreciate it. About the best I've ever come up with is setting poles on five-gallon buckets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:19 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jed,
I'll ask him. I know they are available at Gander Mountain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:48 pm 

The irony with my first two musky evening since spring is that it didn't happen on Sunday.
The conditions seemed ideal. The Packer game wasn't on as Fox was having troubles with a broadcasting tower. A major lunar period was taking place heading into dusk, a front was moving through producing clouds and light rain, and a steady wind made for ideal drifting conditions on the Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area. It seemded all the pieces were in place to have a fantastic outing.
What had me even more enthused was that I was coming off a two fish day the evening prior. And the conditions on Saturday were what most musky anglers don't get excited about. No wind and bluebird skies. However, just prior to sunset the first fish struck off a deep shoreline and within a few minutes the 35-incher was back in the lake. A 40-incher made it into the net about 10 minutes later just down from where the first had hit - in about 20 feet of water.
Sufice to say this flip-flop of when I would have expected the muskies to feed (I never had a nibble Sunday) got me thinking and reflecting back on conditions over this past week. From what I recall off hand the weather was cloudy and cool nearly all last week, and Saturday evening was the first many non-musky hunter individuals would have considered a decent evening. I suspect this change in pattern is what triggered these fish to hit, and I'll surely be keeping an eye on this pattern as fall progresses.
On a side note. As with both fish on Saturday, the more fish I catch on Musky Innovation's Bulldawg, the more I become a fan of this bait. Last fall I landed dozens of fish on this lure and had no problems releasing any of them. The same holds true with my last two, which I can pretty confidentaly say are still swimming today. As these fish are so sensative and need to be handled with the upmost care, I wish I could say this about all the musky lures I've used.
Jeff, I can't wait to learn more about these "tip-up poles." Catching pike on ice-fishing poles is a blast. And with three 20-degree nights this past week, it appears it might not be too much longer before we're talking ice fishing. I'll keep you posted on the ice conditions!
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:41 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I should be able to find out the name of his rig next week. I know he sells them online & I'm fairly sure they're at Gander Mountain too.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:09 pm 

A drug company probably owns the rights to part of this statement, but the best cure I found for the common cold is one part musky and a batch of nice perch.
I'm not a doctor, but I have noticed sizable improvements in my health over the past few days after landing a 43-inch musky on the Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area on Saturday.
The musky was a classic, not in the sense of girth or size, but in the fact that it provided a good visual with flaring gills on an arial display. The best part is my fishing partner executed a great net job and the hooks from the Bobbie Bait popped free in the act. A quick photo and the fish was back in the lake. This musky was relating to still standing weeds in the shallows. It bit at the start of an afternoon minor on the first day heading into a new moon phase. I'm pretty sure the new moon is on Wednesday, and the few weaning days following should make for some amazing musky fishing here in the Tomahawk area. Get out fishing if you have the chance this week. If not, I'll keep you posted if I don't freeze to my boat.
Word around the campfire is a musky hunter who has been fishing the area for the past 40+ years lost the biggest fish of his life yesterday. Better luck next time George. At least you know where he lives now!
Taking a break from the muskies (actually the wind) on Sunday proved fun as the neighbor and I got into some heavy perch feeding action. We kept it simple with a sinker and hook tipped with a crappie minnow. In an hour of fishing we had enough of the cold, but also had enough for a tasty meal. I can't wait for the fish fry this Friday. The fish were up in the shallows and feeding heavily.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week. Stay healthy and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:13 pm 

Last fall shallow feeding muskies seemed abundant on the Wisconsin River in the Tomahawk area, which hasn't always been the case yet this fall. As musky anglers know, each new day often calls for a new plan. My new plan this weekend put my biggest musky of the season in the net.
Due to the warmer temps, my focus was on deep stumps fields and points breaking into the river channel. This produced one follow up, about a 35+, after two hours of fishing the stumps on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I worked some points along the channel. It only took four casts before I felt my Bulldawg get slammed and the head shakes begin. The fish was pretty lethargic, and it only took a minute or two before I had the broad-shouldered beast in the net. Better yet, the fish rolled once in the net and the hook popped free. Unfortunately for me, the fish was way too green, and as I worked to free the lure from the net, the musky jumped, getting its head and beefy body over the top of the net. I even got a face full of Lake Alice water as the fish raced back down toward Davy Jone's locker. I didn't get a photo, but the good news I know she's healthy and will be back to fight another day. I suspect she was in the respectable 45 inch range.
Shortly after getting a laugh at my good and bad misfortunes, I had another strike on the sucker dragging off the side of the boat. I didn't get to see this fish as it quickly dropped the bait, but all in all, it was a pretty good hour of fishing leading up to the Packer game (sorry to bring up soar wounds).
This musky angler will be continuing to focus on deeper water until the cool temps return. Along with cooler temps, there's also a full moon set to take place later this month and one last new moon phase will occur before the lakes freeze over.
On a side note. This weekend I used synthetic gloves (the type used by doctors) under my cloth gloves and it made a big difference. Not rocket science, but keeping my hands dry allowed me to fish a lot more while I was on the water.
The perch and walleyes also remain very active in the shallows during the evening bite. A sinker and hook tipped with a crappie minnow is all you need to take home a meal.
I'm looking forward to providing ice condition reports again this fall, which hopefully I'll be doing by the end of the month. I'm sure there's a few out there who are looking forward to some hard surface fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jed,
The ice fishing rig that was invented by a paper machine back tender I work with occasionally can be found at:

http://www.automaticicefisherman.com

He's been featured on local TV outdoor shows showing his system work on crappies, whitefish, walleyes. No more rod lost down the hole! I've seen packages sold at Fleet Farm, but the web site lets you buy the base unit & use your own pole & reel.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:51 pm 

Jeff,
Thanks for the information on these automatic rigs. It looks like the rod angle would be about the same as the tip-downs I'm currently using, and it would be a nice benefit to not have to worry about losing the rods anymore. I'm curious if you've tried using these rigs yet? I'd love to get some more info from people who've used them as they look like they could do the trick on big Willow and Wisconsin River crappies.
Speaking of ice fishing, there's a dusting of snow on the ground here in the Tomahawk area and some of the wind-protected back bays are already starting to ice over. Call me optimistic, but I'm hoping first ice might come around Thanksgiving this year. All it should take now is a few nights in the teens and some days in the 20s with no wind. I'm again looking forward to posting ice condition updates on this message board.
With winter approaching quickly, the window of opportunity to net that last big monster musky here in the Tomahawk area is fast closing. A full moon phase is taking place this week and weaning into the weekend. There's also one last new moon phase that will take place at the end of the month. Fishing the ladder can be tricky, as last year I had to chip my boat out of the ice multiple times in an attempt to fish it. I wouldn't be surprised if a monster fish isn't caught during either of these two phases - pending lakes aren't frozen over during the new moon.
Good luck to everyone heading this week and enjoy your Northwoods water time. Be safe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next