Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teaching Catch & Release
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:22 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident
I'm new to the boards & recently a part time resident of Tomahawk.

I have been fishing the Tomahawk area lakes & rivers for over 15 years. When I first started fishing Mohawksin I targeted Smallies & knew that it was good for the recource to release these fish back into the water for others to enjoy.

As time went on I discovered what a fantastic Muskie fishery this area is & ever since spend most of my time fishing for them. I have caught nearing a hundred muskies & 1 that went 50" x 25.5" I figured it went around pounds by how heavy she was. All were released by me & anyone I have fished with.

Since my love for the area continues to grow, I tend to read as many fishing reports as possible. Only to see more often than not anglers keeping trophy sportfish. I cannot understand this at all?

It seems on the surface & from the limited recources I have access to, that the local anglers are more likely to keep a trophy than anyone else. Please don't think I'm bashing the locals! There is not one person I have met in the area I wouldn't invite to my cabin for a BBQ & some beers!

What can be done to educate ALL anglers on the importance of catch & release?

I do not see anything to support this at any of the locat bait shops or better yet at the boat ramps. A simple sign could do wonders.

I know that Aquatic Arts removed the freezer of death & now will only do a replicas. This is the kind of effort that will secure this wonderful fishery for a very long time.

I will put a sign by our dock that says support Catch & Release with a picture of kids fishng. My boys will help make it & at the same time understand why it's important.

Be safe & good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:49 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Well said, Mike. I hope we all can continue to learn and educate others on the importance of proper handling and encourage "catch and release" of this fragile fishery we call MUSKIES!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:52 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Catch & release is a fine lifestyle for all fisherman to pursue in certain circumstances (Smallies, Muskies, & maybe Northerns?).

Let's not forget how extraordinarily tasty a batch of bluegills, walleyes, perch, etc. are coming straight from the lake & into the fry pan can be! Otherwise why bother fishing?