Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ice Road
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Not exactly a modern day achievement but it does cut a considerable amount of time transversing the river with the bridge out. Our forefathers used ice roads often. I was told by old timers that years ago the loggers would haul truck loads of wood into the Tomahawk Mill across the lake South of town on a similar road.

Post subject: Re: The Ice Road
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I've heard that the same thing was done when other bridges like the one on 86 by Happy Snapper was being repaired/replaced.

I took the ice road last night. A little rough for cars, but it should be no problem for trucks. It defiantely saves time. Especially at night when those who are already uncomfortable with driving on the freeway are out and holding up traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
The bridge on 86 by the Happy Snapper was not removed until the new one was complete. They built the new one along side the old one so there was no reason to remove the old one until the new one was open, there was no need for an ice road. I live out that way and drove it every day.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Where the new and old ones right next to each other? That must have been pretty tight as there isn't a whole lot of room there. Or, was RP's/Happy Snapper not there at the time.

BTW, it was an older woman who told me. She also said that the log trucks would use the ice road so I figured the information may have been suspect. I wasn't going to tell her that though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The original highway went through part of the snappers parking lot, and joined the existing part of the road where the stopsign is now. I think there are still some barriers on the river side where the road used to come across. The snapper used to be called Hickey's Pier and has been there for many years. It at one time also had cottages for rent. This was back in the 40's as I recall.
The new bridge was built at an angle to the old one and the new part of the road started near where the mill training center is while the old one went straighter before curving onto the bridge. They changed the curve so that it angled off from the old road and when the new one was finished they tore up the old one and removed the bridge.

Being that I grew up in the neighborhood that used to be along the side of 86 where the mill training center is, I knew that old bridge well.

I remember hearing that many years ago there was an ice road build somewhere across the Spirit but that was before the dam and was used in the winter for access to get from the south side but of course back then there weren't any big trucks and was for horse drawn rigs. I don't recall exactly where it was though.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense. I've heard that there are lines (I can't remember which type, gas, power maybe) that run in the general area that you described.

Were there more houses on the south side of 86 in that area or is it just pretty much the ones that are there now? Well, aside from the one that was burned for fire school a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:39 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

There were Seven houses on the side where the mill training center is now. There was also a small paint store that was located just to the west of of the current driveway. Smitty's Paint Store. Our house was moved and is now in frenchtown on Pleasant st. The others were torn down by the mill with the exception of the one that was burned a few years ago during the fire school. There is one left that didn't sell to the mill.

At that time everyone had their own wells, but some years later the mill arranged with the city to run water lines out in that area due to concerns over pollution. There may also be natural gas lines running under the bridge.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The Happy Snapper was brought up in this post.

I`ve read on a forum totally unrelated to Tomahawk that The Happy Snapper had a burger that was out of this world! :D Is The Happy Snapper still there, and has anyone had one of their burgers? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:12 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It's still there and serves a great burger, it used to be RP's and has been the Happy Snapper for a few years now. They recently added on a dining room that overlooks the water. Try the southwest Burger.

Seize the Day !