Spirit River Dam

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
River Rat
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp

Spirit River Dam

Postby River Rat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 am

Does anyone know the status of the Spirit River Dam? The water appears to have been down all summer. I have heard that the Dam needs repairs but that the owner (Wi Valley Improvement ???) is unwilling to repair it. Of course this is all rumor and I have no idea what's actually really going on. Can anyone tell me? Thanks!!!!

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Spirit River Dam

Postby KEN » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 am

River Rat,
Try contacting Cheryl at - :)

Cheryl Laatsch
Statewide FERC Coordinator – Watershed Bureau
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
N7225 Highway 28, Horicon WI 53032
Phone: 920-387-7869
Fax: 920-387-7888
Cheryl.laatsch@wisconsin.gov

She could probably get the latest info on what`s happening to The Spirit Flowage. :shock:

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:10 pm

River Rat
If you , or anyone, hears updated information concerning The Spirit Flowage Dam, please post on this message board.

River Rat
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby River Rat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm

I posted this on Jed's fishing forum here on the Leader message boards. It was in response to his post about information on the delays to dam repair as a result of high costs. I have done a bit of research on this situation too. I'm only in Tomahawk sporadically. Is there any kind of local grass root effort being done to put pressure on Wisconsin Valley Improvement (WVIC) to get to work on this? If there's a dry year next year the flowage could be a stream bed, and that's not an exaggeration.

River Rat wrote:Remember the recent, and current, "6 feet below full" restriction is the maximum water level that can be achieved on the flowage at any given time. The dam is required to maintain a constant minimum outflow too. They can't simply close the dam to maintain 6 feet low.

What this means is there has to be at least as much rain coming/draining into the flowage as there is outflow going out. If there isn't enough rain to make-up for the minimum maintained outflow the water level will drop. We were lucky this year and had quite a bit of rain, enough to keep the water level high enough for boating, fishing, etc. If it's a dry year the level could go far lower than 6 feet down. Conceivably down to river bed only. That would be devastating to the fishery and the wildlife that have come to depend on the flowage.

WVIC has an obligation to it's corporate partners, BUT they ALSO have an obligation to the public who agreed to let WVIC flood their land. They also have an obligation to the wildlife and the habitat that has been created by the flowage. By delaying this project they are failing to meet those obligations in my opinion.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Went past the dam today and there were some guys that appeared to be working on the problem area. Not sure what they were doing but perhaps it is a start.

Over the past roughly 60 years I can recall it being drawn down close to the channel several times when there was not enough rain or snow runoff to maintain normal flow. It is almost always drawn down in the winter to accommodate the spring runoff and if it wasn't for the ice cover you would see it is down close to the channel. Fortunately it is a fairly small reservoir and receives water from a fairly large area and fills up quickly.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

River Rat
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby River Rat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:38 am

That is good news that workers have appeared, thanks for the update.

I'm very familiar with the periodic wintertime drawdown, I've also been witnessing it for decades, although only about 1/2 as many as your 60 :)

The key words here are "periodic" and "wintertime." A sustained drawdown occurring with warm summertime water is much different, much more devastating on the fishery.

The upper stretches of the flowage are where we see winter periodic dawn down to the channel bed. The lower section has always held water above that, even in winter. Now that portion is in jeopardy as well.

The situation should be of concern to everyone who cares about fishing, hunting, and the environment. A private company should not be able to destroy habitat held in public trust at whim.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:16 pm

I think the powers in charge have just been dragging their feet on the dam issue too long.

It`s been going on for three years now. :roll:

Consistent low water levels equals lower property values. :shock: BUT, property taxes keep going up! :(

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Back in the late 50's I remember a friend and I walking along the beach along the highway by the mill picking up lost fishing lures off the stumps. We were able to do that several times. Normally that is quite deep there (deep enough to sink a school bus out of sight about 10 years or so back and the fire dept. divers were standing on the roof and were up to their neck in the water) but it would be down almost to the main channel. I haven't seen it like that in many years and hope not to see it that way again.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm

I drove by the dam last Tuesday and noticed a bass boat with two guys in the it right below the dam.
:shock:

I didn`t know boats were allowed to go right up to the bottom of the dam? :?

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 pm

With all this rain the Tomahawk area has had these past few months, :?

Imagine how great The Spirit would be looking, :shock:

IF the dam would have been repaired!!!! :cry:

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:09 am

"Went past the dam today and there were some guys that appeared to be working on the problem area. Not sure what they were doing but perhaps it is a start."

Old Scout , have you, or anyone, seen any work related activity going on at the dam since your last post? :?:

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 pm

Ken, haven't seen anybody around since that one day. Maybe they were just thinking about it and are putting it off again.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Right now , (things could change drastically), it looks like an early Spring!

Maybe they`ll get going on the work on the dam soon, and get it over with!

River Rat
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby River Rat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 am

Any further information or observations would be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to see this beautiful flowage destroyed.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:48 am

I contacted the State yesterday.

I inquired as to when work would begin on the Spirit Dam repair.

Below is the response ........................
'

'
"We are expecting a permit application to arrive in Mid March. The permit process may include a public notice and comment period."

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

There is a crane and so other equipment parked in the lot by the dam so they must plan on doing something. Maybe, or it might just be a decoy to keep us guessing.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 am

That`s good news!

Maybe The Leader can cover the progress, complete with photo`s.

There seems to be a lot of interest in the dam project.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Postby Old Scout » 21 Mar 2017 12:43 am

There is a crane and so other equipment parked in the lot by the dam so they must plan on doing something

'
'

Any movement with the equipment? :?:

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Nothing has moved up to this weekend. Might be waiting until the ice is off.

mrbrowns

Postby mrbrowns » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Will be talking with WVIC next week for an article for the Tomahawk Leader about the Spirit Dam repairs. Hoping to get timelines for when work will take place and hopefully be completed. Thought I would let everyone know to look for it.
Gone Fishin'

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:45 pm

I noticed that there is a equipment trailer parked by the dam in the area that needs the repair. Perhaps something will happen soon.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:42 pm

mrbrowns wrote:Will be talking with WVIC next week for an article for the Tomahawk Leader about the Spirit Dam repairs. Hoping to get timelines for when work will take place and hopefully be completed. Thought I would let everyone know to look for it.

'

Sounds good.

I think there`s a lot of interest in The Spirit Dam Project.

The water level has been down too low for too long.

PLUS, it`s not the only dam in the area. The problem with The Spirit Dam could happen somewhere down the road with other dams!

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Good news Ken,

I went by the dam today and there were people there working on it. Looks like the day has finally arrived that it will get fixed. :D

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Does anyone know exactly what all is involved in the repairs?

It must be pretty complicated to do any kind of fix with water still coming through!

You`d think they`d have to empty the entire Spirit !

I bet they get the water level at a all time low before the work is completed!

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 pm

From the amount of equipment and supplies they are hauling in it must be a rather serious repair they are planning. Seems like I read that they plan on putting some kind of plate in on the water side. Perhaps MrBrowns can fill us in as I believe he is the one that wrote about it.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”