Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm 

Had the same issue with the boat that resulted in a big bill last spring. The mechanic said the watered-down gas stemmed from ethanol. Even the high-grade gas has ethanol, which I've been told can cause problems if used in motors that aren't run regularly.
I found out the hard way they do make a product that removes, or offsets, the ethanol in gas. Sorry I'm not sure of the name, but Vieguts and Fleet Farm sell the product - the name is probably something obvious like ethanol remover. It comes in a red container, and I think I've also seen it available at other gas stations. A small container cost me something like $8.
It's Ironic really. Now you have to pay more to fix gas that in turn cost more to avoid paying more in the long run. And all I wanted to go fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:50 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
The only skunk issues I've ever had to deal with over the years of living in the northwoods were dog related. I know how to bathe a dog after that happens. It seems now the skunks have decided to dig in our yard. They are digging all over our neighborhood. Our road had several places that burrowing has occurred. Anyone have any ideas to keep them out of the yard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:52 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The product you are talking about to add to the ethanol gas is called "Stable ?(spelling?) "Stabile"?.. I've got a bottle around here somewhere but can't put my hand on it right now. So good luck with the spelling. What happens with the ethanol is, is that the gas separates. If you drain out some old gas and put it in a glass jar to see it you will notice it has two layers of liquid with a definate line that separates the two. It has to be "old" gas to see that. Years ago you could find an old tracter in a farmers field that was sitting there for many years and that old gas without the ethanol still fired up and ran. New and improved isn't neccessarily the case. So make your gas "Stabile"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Three cheers for Arizona ! ! ! !

Opponents who fear that Arizona's tough new immigration law will lead to police harassment of legal immigrants and U.S. citizens who look Hispanic are set to demonstrate against the measure at the state Capitol Sunday afternoon.

The rally comes two days after Gov. Jan Brewer signed a bill that requires police to question people about their immigration status _ including asking for identification _ if they suspect someone is in the country illegally. The law also toughens restrictions on hiring illegal immigrants for day labor and knowingly transporting them.

"Mexican President Felipe Calderon's office said in a statement Saturday that "the Mexican government condemns the approval of the law" and "the criminalization of migration. " :roll:

Gee imagin that ! Must be afraid he will have to keep all his border jumpers at home and take care of his own problems.

Here all this time I thought it already was illegal and our wonderfull government just didn't bother to enforce the laws.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

So what are the criteria for this law? Will they use a color chart like the paint store, if you are a little too dark they then ask you for your "papers"?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Stupid remark. Read the statute it's all over the inter-net and no mention of color charts. The Grandike of "Homeland Security" while serving as Governor of Arizona, Janet Napolitano, sent the Federal Government a bill of almost a billion dollars for incarcerating illegal immigrant felons in that state. That bill did not include the costs to their health care systems, schools, social welfare programs, etc. nor the costs of the crimes committed by those felons. Now the left wing media is printing articles about the possibility of Hispanics leaving the state of Arizona in mass numbers because of the new statute. Do you think any of the citizens of Arizona give a crap about a mass exodus of illegal aliens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

The law is a political stunt to buy votes for the right by scapegoating Hispanics.

It will probably be gold mine for lawyers. "It also makes it illegal to impede the flow of traffic by picking up day laborers for work. A day laborer who gets picked up for work, and traffic is impeded in the process, would also be committing a criminal act." Good luck trying to enforce such nonsense.

If one really wants to reduce that portion of the immigration that is driven by economics, one must provide economic opportunity in Mexico. Why don't the Republicans stopped trying to block Funding for International Population Funding Assistance. Under Bush they even blocked our portion of the UNFPA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

If our govenment would just enforce the laws we already have we wouldn't have a problem.

Or have you forgotten that these people are in this country Illegally. We are not just dealing with people looking for work we are dealing with common criminals that have broken the law and are getting away with it. :x

At least AR. is trying to do something about it, which is more than the fed's are doing. :x

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:58 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Enforcing federal laws will not stop the larger forces at work. As I indicated, one needs to look at the reason the majority of people are coming to America and then address those reasons. Many in Mexico still perceive Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. as a cultural part of Mexico. True the land was taken by the Americans but the cutural element has persisted.

For those interested in the drafting of the law:
http://bit.ly/a3pfgu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Sagan,

There will always be a country not as well off as another. Are we responsible for raising the whole world to our standard of living then? That's a lot to ask of anyone, especially when we have our own problems to solve (like a massive debt we're likely never going to be able to pay off).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:45 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Is Lincoln County, Wisconsin a cultural part of Mexico? There are illegals here sucking up jobs that some of our 12% unemployed could use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Many in Mexico still perceive Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. as a cultural part of Mexico. True the land was taken by the Americans but the cutural element has persisted.

Then perhaps it is time that they pull their collective heads out of the sand and wake up to reality. When they cross the border they are breaking the law and deserve any punishment that we deem appropriate. They don't deserve any special privilages, and have no rights other than that they be treated as the criminals that they are.

Try doing what they do in most any other country and see what happens ! As long as we have a national debt that will never be paid off, I have no problem spending a little more and rounding all of them up and herding them back where they came from. We also need to put a stop to those on our side of the border that are aiding them in making the trip across by putting out food and water for them etc. In the mean time we need to seal the border and make sure that no one comes in without permission or a proper passport. I am getting a little tired of trying to baby sit the whole world.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:48 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Catfish,
Haven't been here for a long while. Just read your 4/13 post. That was amazing to get a call from the parking lot that a second liver, perfect match, arrived in time to make a difference for you! God answered your prayer. I'm looking forward to getting crap or salutations from you for many years to come!

I've been an orange sticker bearer for many years. Who ever started that bumper sticker "Heaven doesn't need your organs, leave them here on Earth." sure had the right idea.

Fish on!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:06 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Scout,
I agree. Illegal is ILLEGAL.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The Redistribute the Wealth of America Team of Obama, Reid and Pelosi with the help of Nancy's lap dog David Obey will engineer a an amnesty for those millions of illegal aliens before the next election. Those politicians are hopeful of watering down the vote of all Americans to meet their agenda and to save their own hides. When this amnesty is granted watch what happens to Social Security and their much touted Health Care Program. It won't be the wealthy, but the middle class and the elderly will pay for their actions. They are the majority of the 47% that pay taxes in this country.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

LET ME SEE IF I GOT THIS RIGHT!!!

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET
1 - A JOB,
2 - A DRIVERS LICENSE,
3 - SOCIAL SECURITY CARD,
4 - WELFARE,
5 - FOOD STAMPS,
6 - CREDIT CARDS,
7 - SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE,
8 - FREE EDUCATION,
9 - FREE HEALTH CARE,
10 - A LOBBYIST IN WASHINGTON
11 - BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE
12 - AND THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRY'S FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH RESPECT

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A FIRM GRASP ON THE SITUATION.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tilt.

Ask your Federal reps, House & Senate why illegals are not sent home.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I sent letters to all three of our so-called representitives and get this song and dance that is long on words and short of actually saying anything. You know darn well that they are not going to do anything that will lose them votes from all the border jumpers.

Besides they are not there to represent us, they are there because they enjoy the power and being in the spot light. They are going to do what-ever they they want whether we like it or not.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Historically people migrate and artificially calling it legal or illegal or building walls as never had much influence on it. As others have noted, like anything else if you really want to solve a problem look at what is causing it and try to address it. Treating symptoms by building walls, imprisoning people, etc. may garner votes from the naive Tea Party crowd but it will not solve any problems. Mexico has many internal problems and its oil sales have peaked and are in decline leaving drug sales, and tourism as it the other top sources of finance.

For those sincerely interested in the workings of the issue, author Charles Bowden, has written a well researched book on the topic "Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy’s New Killing Fields".

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:57 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
artificially calling it legal or illegal

Artificial my foot, like it or not it is a law that was passed by our gov. Like it or not every one needs to get used to it and learn to live with it. We are expected to live within the law if we go to other countries and they should be expected to live within the law here.

That is mexico's problem and I am getting tired or us being blamed for all the problems of the world. We didn't make them into a third rate country, they did that all by themselves. When their biggest industry is illegal drugs it doesn't say much for them as a people so why would we want them to come here and bring their problems with them.

As I said before, I am getting a little tired of trying to baby sit the whole world. If all the bleeding heart liberals want to take care of them, they can pay for it out of their own pockets and stay out of mine.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
So Scout, how do you plan to effectively do what you think can be done and how would you fund it? Minefields, militarized zone, deport the mothers of those hispanic soldiers serving in Afghanistan and Iraq? Even the Roman Empire could not stop immigration. Despite the various penalties mentioned above, movement across those borders continues.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

They want to be here so bad, all they need to do is follow the law and gain citizenship the right way. If not, round them up and ship them back where they came from. As for paying for it, the Gov. is already broke and borrowing money so what is a little more to secure the borders.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Old Scout,

You're 100% dead on!

Kerry

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
The little more Scout talks about would be trillions of dollars not to mention the physical impossiblity. In fact these simplistic responses show little or no understanding of the issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

And by that simplistic response you are indicating that you have no clue as to what it costs to have them here and take care of the expenses and problems that are caused by them. Pay now or pay later. Your choice !

Nothing is impossible if someone just puts the effort into doing it !

Seize the Day !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next