Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: live in Tomahawk
Spambot: No
Just curious to know what is being done in honor of the returning soldiers? Is there anything we as a community can do to prepare for them?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
once it is actually KNOWN when the date/dates will be that they all return - I am sure something will be announced & it will be a big community event. It is awesome & wonderful that they will all be home soon. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank You Logic.....I was beginning to think nobody had any information.

Hoping to get involved and show some of the support they deserve.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:09 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
The local support group made up of former and retired members of the unit, is working on a welcome home for the unit and will announce what is happening and when as soon as they recieve word as the the date and time of their arrival.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

On another note, just wanted to pass this on. This information is from the American Legion web site.

Three major casual-dining chains —Applebee's, McCormick & Schmick's and Golden Corral— are offering free food to veterans and, in most cases, active-duty military personnel in observance of Veterans Day. (The official holiday is Wednesday.)

Applebee's. Applebee's is offering a free entree on Wednesday to veterans and all active-duty military from 11 a.m. to midnight at all 1,900 locations. Although Applebee's requests some kind of military ID, "We're not going to argue with folks who might forget to bring it," says Sam Rothschild, senior vice president of operations.

•McCormick & Schmick's. For the 11th year in a row, the 87 locations in 25 states are offering free entrees to veterans on Sunday. The chain also requests military ID and highly recommends reservations. The promotion is on Sunday instead of Veterans Day, "because it allows vets to bring their families who might not be available during the week," CEO Bill Freeman says.

•Golden Corral. The 485-unit chain is offering free buffet meals — including beverage and dessert — to current military and vets on Monday, Nov. 16, from 5 to 9 p.m. No military ID is required for its ninth annual Military Appreciation Monday, says Dolly Mercer, national events manager. The event is held on this date, she says, "so we don't interfere with Veterans Day activities."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I also believe Outback Steakhouse is offering free bloomin' onions and beverage. Not quite an entire entree, but still a nice thought.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:35 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Considering that it was the the opening day of deer season there was a real nice turnout for the welcome home for the 951st. They arrived about 1:45 and there were a couple hundred people waiting for them.

Glad that they are getting a better welcome home than the soldiers of my generation did thirty five years ago ! These guys sure deserve it !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:32 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Do you think there was that many people?

I know it was deer hunting season, but I was a bit dissapointed with the showing. We make a bigger deal about our kids going to state, then our own soldiers coming home from Afghanistan. Especially when one of them gives his life over there!
Thanks to all that did and do support the soldiers. As they say "Freedom isnt Free" To miss one evening of hunting so I could witness the celebration was well worth it to me.

God Bless America

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:20 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Welcome home all! Job well done.

Thank you sincerely for your service, sacrifice, and your dedication to mission, each other, and your country.

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***