Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
The Kwahamots held a water ski competition on Saturday - 4 out of town & out of state teams were involed (from the info I could gather after the show was already done) - this event was not published in the paper & not advertised in the Tomahawk Leader - this was not by fault of either the paper or the radio station - it was the fault of the Kwahamots organization. I remember in the 70's & 80's the ski show was the thing to do in Tomahawk, it was a major deal. We used to have wonderful talent at the shows and drew large crowds. What happened to those days? Who is in charge of these shows? They missed a huge opportunity in not making the public aware that this event was taking place this past weekend (Saturday August 15th). The ski shows are lucky if the stands are half full on show nights. They have somehow mangaged to obtain at least one if not two new ski boats - that is a mystery how that happened. I am pretty sure there is a deal with Erv's & the Kwahamots to make this happen. It is understood that the economy is down but that should be more of a reason that they should advertise such events. What a shame that this show went unnoticed but by a few that "happened" to hear about it. Community service ads are usually run at a free or subsatncually discounted rate. What an opportunity missed. This could have been a huge boost to our economy.
:( Please post any news that is known about this. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:49 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Logically speaking, I would think it would be a good idea to contact the Kwahomot organization and offer your services as public relations and advertising director.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am 
Contributor
Contributor

well evidentally someone should. Just because I asked a question about it, does not mean I want to do that. They do need help in that direction though :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:32 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
For anyone that missed it, it was pretty cool. One team actually took a pyrmaid over the jump.

Logic1, why must you bash the Kwahamot's? Instead of being so deragatory why don't you post your question a little more nicely. It sound's like you have a beef with them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I guess you do not know what a discussion board is for? No bashing at all - I like the Kwahamots & LOVE watching them - they just need to learn how to promote themselves - hope it gets better :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: lifelong resident
First of all, I am loath to respond to logic1’s post because quite frankly if you’re not man or woman enough to post your real name when your critizing someone than I don’t think you deserve a response. However, I do believe I should respond to some of the false statements logic1 has posted. First of all, the Kwahamot All-Star Tournament was advertised on WJJQ. WJJQ is quite generous by advertising our ski shows every day throughout the summer and we had approximately two weeks of advertising before our ski tournament. Although the tournament wasn’t advertised in the Tomahawk Leader, at are post tournament meeting, we discussed the fact that we need to do this next year.

Now onto the statements regarding the ski shows current state. Did you know that the current group of members brought the teams finances back from the brink of bankruptcy in the early 90s? Did you know that while doing this, none of the members were older than 25? Maybe we should be in charge of GM. How do we have two boats, I’ll tell you how, fundraising and saving. Although Erv’s Sales and Service is one of our sponsors, in the past 3 years we have spent over $75,000 in boats, and we only have one loan, the rest was paid for out of savings! Five years ago we borrowed $20,000 from the City of Tomahawk (this is public record) on a 10 year loan. This past July, we paid off the loan 5 years early.

Also, logic1 brings up the 70s and 80s when the ski show “was the thing to do.” Do you also realize that since then over 75% of resorts in this area have sold into condos? That means less people in the area to come to ski shows during the week. There’s also more options for kids these days, high school sports practically run all year now a days and there are about twice as many sports as there use to be.

And if you’re wondering about the current state of the ski club, we took 3rd place at our tournament competing against the best skiers in the world, and for the 2nd year in a row, we won the award for coolest/most original act by completing an act never before completed (anywhere!). I personally invite everyone to any one of our ski shows – they run every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Our 3rd annual Kwahamot All-Star Tournament will be the 4 the Saturday in August 2010 and is quickly becoming a top-tier tournament in the show skiing community. We are also bidding to host a National Championship Tournament.

If you want to know who runs the Kwahamot’s, I’ll tell you: our President is Mike Hilgendorf, Vice-President is Scott Koth, Treasurer is Mickey Loka and Secretary is Celie Koth. My e-mail address is mickey.loka@hotmail.com and I can be reached at 715-612-8642, call or e-mail me any time, especially if you want to join the Kwahamot’s, we’re always looking for new members – male or female, old or young, skiers and non-skiers.

Finally, if you don’t believe any of stuff I’ve written here, just ask one of the parent’s of our members and they’ll tell you how great our club is.

Thanks for reading this, however I will not be responding to any posts unless they are signed with a real name.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Mickey,

I'm not at the Leader (actually live out of town) so I don't know but was the Leader even notified that the event was occurring? They're typically pretty good about trying to announce upcoming community events and covering them in the paper... Maybe it was in the paper, I tend to skim it now since things aren't as relevant for me anymore.

Kerry Tobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:41 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Kerry,

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, WE forgot to inform the Leader of the event, but plan on sending out information to all media outlets next year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:23 am 
Contributor
Contributor

There's a phrase that's all the rage with kids these days. "Owned."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

The Kwahamot Water Ski Club will be hosting the 2011 Division 2 National Show Ski Championships August 5-7, 2011.

Additional tournament dates:
August 28, 2010 - 3rd Annual Kwahamot All-Star Tournament
August 27, 2011 - 4th Annual Kwahamot All-Star Tournament

We are all excited to be hosting these tournaments and will be working hard of the next year and 3/4 to show off Tomahawk to the many teams coming to our tournaments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:33 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I remember the Kwahamots hosting a national championship competition in the early seventys. It was jam packed with people from all over the U.S. It was very, very much fun and a real boost to Tomahawk. If this is like that weekend I would suggest everybody go and enjoy. Way to go Kwahamots!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:43 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

3rd Annual Kwahamot All-Star Tournament - Saturday August 28th, 2010, starting @ 11:00 am

11th Division 2 Show Ski National Championships - August 5-7, 2011 - Kwahamot Bay!

More information to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: net
Spambot: No
If you really want to do that, you should really contact the organization. In fact as I view and analyze your statements, you will be a great staff for that. All you have to do is to familiarize with all the necessary things about the org.