Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need your brain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I've made the decision that some how - some way I'm moving up to the northwoods within the next 2 years. Going to sell my house and quit my job that pays me very well and do it.

Love the Tomahawk area and realize employment is tough. What sort or types of businesses does the Northwoods need? I'd like to bring a busines to the northwoods - what's missing or would allow me to make some money and live comfortable?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Need your brain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:41 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Spambot: No
I haven't been there in many years, but always thought a Krispy Creme franchise would do wonderful up there! Especially when the hot, fresh donuts sign is on in the cold winters! Add some coffee in the corner, you would have it made! There are a lot of stores vacant downtown, and would be ideal! Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:47 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
I've just moved here this summer, having lived here also in the 1980's. There is no shoe store in Tomahawk. There is no stand alone bakery in Tomahawk. Regarding donuts, I hate Crispy Creme byt Dunkin Donuts would be good :wink: There's no children's clothing store. There's a bridal shop, a women's boutique with nice clothes, the surplus store for camping/outdoor clothes, and Ben Franklin with Hatchet gear and very limited clothing. The Mercantile store has some limited clothing also but not for everyday wear, more what you buy on vacation like sweatshirts and teeshirts. I'd like a scrapbook store but not sure the economy can support one right now. There's no book store. There was one but it burned. I would love a book store, even a half price book chain store.

What isn't needed are any more antique stores or resale shops.

So there's a few ideas.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

A charcoal hamburger joint that is open nights when all the other restaurants are closed. Nothing open after bar times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:49 pm 

Oops, the message I posted here was meant for somewhere else. I know there has been market studies done in the past on what is available and what is needed in Tomahawk. I think a copy might be available at the Chamber. Might be another resource to check out.

Last edited by mrbrowns on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
harrybro wrote:
There's a bridal shop, a women's boutique with nice clothes, the surplus store for camping/outdoor clothes, and Ben Franklin with Hatchet gear and very limited clothing. The Mercantile store has some limited clothing also but not for everyday wear, more what you buy on vacation like sweatshirts and teeshirts.

Harrybro, that is exactly what I wrote. Any reason you posted it as if you wrote it?

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:39 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: former resident
Spambot: No
Have an education degree? There is a set of schools there. The hours are great, I don't know about the pay. Especially if you can do more than one thing. Like some of the teachers also coach teams. For the small towns, they love teachers that are VERSATILE. Or you could try tutoring, that's what I would do. Or do desktop publishing. The nice thing about online work is you can take it ANYWHERE. If you can, get a computer techie degree and work with websites, publishing and editing. I used to do it, it doesn't pay as well as some things and practically no one sees your face, but for me that's good and I don't have to be in a suit while working and I can do it from the comfort of my own home.
Of course, it can be bad when the power goes out...

Another thing you can do is buy a duplex and rent the other half. I knew someone that did that and it really helped make money on the side. Also if you have machining or mechanical or plumbing experience, those always go over well. So does home care and housework and home repairs and remodeling. Tomahawk has no assisted living, so there are plenty of seniors that need people to do home care and odd jobs for them. I would go to your motel if you would run cheaper rates. Tomahawk's motels are higher in price than some of the ones near Lake Michigan and some of the more active and better tourist towns. Sometimes we drive all the way to Eagle River.

SOrry, Tomahawk, but it's true...

"To conquer a nation, first disarm its CITIZENS"-Hitler