Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomahawk Grocery Stores
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958
I am glad to see the opening of a second grocery store in Tomahawk as competition is good and we can handle two I am sure. During the bridgework many people went out of town to shop and now perhaps they can shop locally which is good for Tomahawk. Just recently several people mentioned that upon buying the Leader at Nelson's County Market the flyer from Great Lakes Foods was missing. Doubting Thomas that I am I had to check for myself and sure enough upon checking out the Leader at Nelsons the Great Lakes insert was indeed missing from the issues I checked. It is sad to see something like this in a town that is so cordial and one I boast about whenever the occasion arises.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 am 
Contributor
Contributor

You`d have to think that if someone from Nelson`s took those flyers out, (and probably discarded them), a law would have been broken. THEFT I imagine. The Leader really should investigate. It would make future advertisers have second thoughts if the product they paid for is getting out to all of the subscribers and buyers of the newspaper.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I seriously doubt anyone at Nelson's took the fliers out. Having helped stuff the newspapers years ago I can tell you what is more likely is that each store only provides certain numbers of fliers. In many cases that number doesn't cover all of the papers we stuff, mail and sell. When that happens, we use as many of the fliers as we can and once we run out we keep getting papers ready without that flier.

With it being a holiday week, our sales numbers will have increased so there were more papers than normal. If Great Lakes (or any other store) didn't provide more fliers, eventually we'll run out of papers with all the fliers and be forced to start selling the ones that are missing some items. There have been times that we've had 5+ fliers and the last of the papers will only have 1 or 2.

We also occasionally run into extra problems on holiday weekends because the stores typically want to keep additional fliers at the store so they have enough for the extra customers. That means if they didn't print more we wind up with even fewer fliers.

And as far as the product they paid for... If I remember the billing correctly (and Kathy may be able to correct me) they are billed on a per thousand rate and it is based on the number of papers we mail and sell with their flier (or how many fliers they provided, can't really remember). Either way, I don't believe they get charged for papers that don't have their flier.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Nokomis Summers
Spambot: No
Kudos to new grocery for making available the free "weekly shoppers" with their ad inserts from Merrill and Rhinelander. Not sure when Nelson's discontinued giving them space. I'll continue spending my $ in Tomahawk, but there are times what I want or need just aren't available locally. I'm not inclined to waste gas money shopping out of town if I don't need to !